Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kissed by an Angel discussion thread  (Read 1962 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Kissed by an Angel discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »

If it helps, Mare, I think it's much more well written than Twilight. But yeah, it's a far cry from Jodi Picoult. LOL though while I was buying my book some other women came up behind me and they were trying to decide whether or not to read 19 Minutes. And I turned around and told them that they should. I said I hadn't read it, but as much as my friends raved about it, it's a must read. And they totally bought it off my (well your) recommendation . So you're spreading the love!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »

Glad you're liking it, Kelly!  It's one of those rare books that I found just browsing in Barnes & Noble when I was in 8th grade... I'd never heard of it before, never read anything by the author, but it sounded interesting, so I got it, and I LOVED it!!!  I've read it quite a few times since then, and it's also one of the only young adult books that I read as a kid that I still truly enjoy as an adult.  A lot of the other ones I enjoyed at that age seen so cheesy or sappy or over-simplified or formulaic to me now, but I still love this story.

As for the Twilight comparison, I meant mostly in terms of genre.  It's not about vampires, obviously, but it has that same blend of romance mixed with suspense and the supernatural aspect.  Personally, I also think it's a lot better written, especially the action and suspense parts.  Also, I think Ivy is a stronger, more likeable female character, and Tristan, the male lead, is likeable for more than his physical appearance.  His physical appearance isn't given much description at all, except we know that he has brown hair and a lean swimmer's body.  That's about it.  Compared to the pages and pages of Edward description LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 05:29:28 PM »

So I guess while I'm posting here, I'll answer my own discussion question.  I like most of the characters in this book.  I think Ivy is a strong, yet realistic female lead.  She's independent and kind of quirky, but I don't think Elizabeth Chandler went out of her way to make her an over-the-top, "I am woman, hear me roar" type of heroine.

Tristan is the kind of male lead I sort of fell in love with when I first read this book LOL.  He's that guy you had a crush on in high school, the star athlete, popular, all that, but also genuinely nice and yet not perfect either.  He starts out kind of seeming that way, from how he's viewed by other people, but when you get into the parts from his perspective, especially as he changes in the story, you see that he's kind of goofy and even awkward at times too.

I also like how there was a balance between the two main characters and their friends and family and the relationships they have with those people.  We don't see much of Tristan's family, but we see a lot of Ivy's, as well as her friends, and I think E.C. does a good job at developing all of those people as supporting characters.  They each sort of play a part in the overall story, too, which is cool.  It's not JUST a love story about Ivy and Tristan.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »

Another comment while I'm thinking of it...  I can't believe this hasn't been made into a movie yet!!  It would be such a great movie!
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »

Yeah, I think all of the characters are very well balanced. I  actually really enjoy Gregory too because you can't ever really be sure what on Earth is going through his messed up head. He really is a hard character to read. I also love how Phillip plays such a prominent role. I mean he's like eight years old, and he acts just like an eight year old, but he's necessary to the plot and he never really annoys you. Plus he really makes both Ivy and Tristan stand out more because of their relationships with him.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 09:41:09 PM »

I'm glad you recommended 19 Minutes! It was an awesome book!

I'm still on the fence about this one. Maybe if I can find someone to borrow it off of but I'm not sure if I want to purcahse it anymore. Especially with money being tight right now. I can always live the book through your discussion and just nod and agree from time to time. I can be 'that' person in the book clud. The one that just shows up for the food! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 12:07:03 AM »

LOL I should never have mentioned Twilight!  It's really nothing like Twilight, just in the romance/supernatural genre, and it takes place in high school.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 03:00:13 PM »

Should we start thinking about a new book for August? Does anyone want to host? I was actually thinking about maybe doing it a different way since it's not really translating well into a book club like I would have liked it to. LOL

Maybe what we can do is just open threads as we read books and those people who have read it or want to read it can discuss it in those threads? Instead of picking a book and disucssing it every month. Although that's a lot of fun, it's kind of annoying if you go through the hassle of buying it or picking it up at the library and then no one talks about it. This way, we can discuss what we're reading. Nine out of ten times at least a few of us have already read the same books anyway. Am I making sense?

Like what you guys did with the HP series
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »

I think that's a good idea, Mare.  That way you don't feel limited or obligated to go get the book of the month, but we can still do what the whole point of this is - discuss favorite books and books we're reading, and get recommendation s for new stuff to read.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »

I kinda sucked as a host this month LOL...  I had planned on rereading Kissed By an Angel, but first I wanted to finish The Stand, and then I ended up rereading two Harry Potter books.  I probably would have been better about posting questions if I'd actually been reading the book along with the two other people who got it LOL.

So Katie and Kelly and anyone else, are you done yet?  What did you think?
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 11:56:38 PM »

lol I finished it in about three days. I loved it, and then I gave my copy to my future sister in law because I thought she would love it as well.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »

Awesome!  Glad you liked it!
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 12:39:54 AM »

SPOILERS!!

lol Did you ever think Gregory was innocent? I went back and forth so many times. I mean I always knew he was a trouble maker, but I wasn't always convinced that he was the one trying to kill her. I think that's what I liked the most about the book, is that I suspected everyone ant some point, and kept going back and forth as to who was doing what.  Gregory was a very interesting character because while he was, you know, basically evil, at the same time, I think he really did start to care about Ivy and didn't necessarily want to have to do what he was doing. Lots of layers to that poor messed up boy.

I thought she did a great job of keeping it suspenseful and mysterious the entire time.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 01:03:36 AM »

SPOILERS CONTINUED!

Exactly!  I never cared for Gregory; I always thought he was kind of a douche, and the whole step-sibling "romance" towards the middle creeped me out.  I was like, Ivy, what are you DOING??  That said, I didn't necessarily suspect him of being behind Tristan's death the first time I read it; I think I just thought he was a jerk.  I agree, E.C. did a great job of setting it up so that you could suspect several people and weren't really sure who it was till the end.  It's been like 11 years since I read this for the first time, so it's hard to remember my initial reactions, but I was probably more likely to suspect druggie Eric, until he was killed off.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 01:08:41 AM »

I also like the supernatural aspect of this story, with the angels and everything.  I don't always go for that kind of thing, but I think it added a lot to this story and made it more interesting.  That conflict of poor Tristan trying to reach Ivy, but Ivy can't sense him because she's given up her faith... that is so great!!  It infuriates you as a reader, but it makes that moment when she FINALLY figures it out, at the end of the diving board, one of the greatest scenes in the book, to me anyway.

I also like Beth the psychic (and Phillip a little bit too - and Will) and how Tristan can "possess" them and make them write things and say things and see things.  I always thought the part about the turning wheels that turn out to be gears that lead Ivy to the clock was pretty creative.  I'm a sucker for any story where seemingly unimportant things planted early in the story turn out to be key elements later on... I just admire that sort of writing, where everything is so well thought out that it all connects.

E.C. has another series of books called Dark Secrets that I've read a couple of, and they were pretty good that way too.  Interesting storylines with lots of twists and turns that kept you guessing.  She's good at the whole supernatural mystery thing.  I think this book is definitely her best; the Dark Secrets books have more of a young adult feel even than this one does, but I enjoyed them when I read them in junior high or high school.
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2]