Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12741 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The recommend a great book thread
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:20:07 PM »

Use this thread to let us know what you're reading or a great book you'd recommend to everyone else to read :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »

I know we have a few other teachers on the board.  This is a recommendation for all teachers, especially if you're elementary.  "32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny" by Phillip Done.  Great teaching memoir!!  http://www.amazon.com/Third-Graders-One-Class-Bunny/dp/B000HEW0NO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248744816&sr=8-1

I've read it like three times and will probably start reading it again in August...  I always start reading it right before school's about to start up again, cause I get nervous and dread the end of my vacation, and that book helps remind me why I went into teaching and why I love it, even if I'd rather still be on summer break LOL.

It's laugh-out-loud funny, but touching too, and I think any elementary teacher can relate.  Probably parents can too, with a lot of things, so I imagine it's a fun read even if you're not a teacher.  It reminds me so much of my experience student teaching third grade - with a male teacher, even, like the author.  Good memories!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »

Great idea, Mare!  You know I am always hitting you up for book ideas.

I just started reading some Jennifer Wiener, many friends had recommended her stuff to me.  I finished Good in Bed (wonderful) and have started Certain Girls...everyo ne says In Her Shoes is the best of JW's stuff, and it is next.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:54:23 AM »

Right now I'm reading The Work And The Glory series by Gerald Lund.  I'm on the second volume (out of nine) and I am honestly loving every minute of it!

It's a historical fiction novel that is kind of like Johnny Tremaine. (It follows one fictional family through actual historical events.) It tells the story of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon and how the church came to be organized. So I don't know that anyone here would really enjoy it all that much because it is religious based. But if you've ever been curious about the story of Joseph Smith and the gold plates, and don't want to actually read the Book of Mormon, this is a much less intimidating, less preachy, more entertaining way to hear the basic story. It's very historically accurate, and yet still has a wonderful tale of family drama and romance. The series gets darker and darker as it progresses because the Mormon history is pretty gruesome, but I'm excited to read them all.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

kissesxoxo

• Captain of Commotion
  • Like I Did Before The Storm
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »

I'm always reading something and lately this is what I've been reading , that I really enjoyed and couldn't put down:

All American Girl by Meg Cabot
All American Girl: Ready or Not by Meg Cabot
Airhead by Meg Cabot
Airhead:Being Nikki by Meg Cabot
Eye Of The World by Robert Jordan

I'm actually still in the process of reading Eye of The World, i've got about half of it left to read, but it's really pretty neat. If I think of anything more I'll be sure to mention it :-)

~*~ Minnie ~* ~
Thursday September 9th CW Nikita

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 04:18:32 PM »

aww Ready or Not is the only Meg book that I haven't liked. All American Girl kept my attention ok, but I thought Ready Or Not was kinda I dunno. Boring Maybe?
I do however LOVE the Airhead series. Runaway comes out in like June of next year. It's killing me that it's so far away!!!  My favorite Cabot books are still the Mediator Series. You should check those ones out next if you haven't yet.

I read this one not that long ago that was kind of cute called Black Sheep by Yvonne Collins. About a girl who doesn't really fit in at home and gets sucked into this "wife swap" type reality show where two teenagers switch families for the summer.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

kissesxoxo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 09:18:48 AM »

I have yet to read the Mediator ones, I should look for those. Yeah I know I can't wait that long for the next Airhead book, my cousin nearly had a heartattack when I told her that the next one wasn't due out til 2010. I'm in the middle of Avalon High right now. It's eh... lol. Hmm I'll hafta write that one down Black Sheep. Sounds like it's interesting. :-)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »

aww, Avalon High is one of my faves by her. I still have to read most of her adult fiction. But she never disappoints.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:12:04 PM »

I'm reading "The Ruins" by Scott Smith and loving it.  It's a great book for any horror/thriller fans.  I saw the movie first, thankfully without knowing too much about the actual premise (because if I had, I probably would have been like WTF? and wouldn't have given it a chance), and I loved the movie.  The book is equally great (perhaps better, but the movie was actually a great adaptation of the book, so it's hard to say).  I think it would have been even better if I had read it without having seen the movie first, not knowing how it was going to turn out, because then it would be even more shocking and disturbing.  As it is, it's still pretty disturbing, just not shocking because I already know the plot.  It definitely rivals my favorite Stephen King books when it comes to gore, though.  I picked the hardback up for $7 off the bargain book rack at Walden Books, and it's turned out to be a great choice!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:15:01 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »

It's weird because I was going to bring this thread back today as well lol

I got The Hunger Games from Mike's parents for Christmas and at first I wasn't all that thrilled with reading it because it's a young adult book and i'm not really big into those, although The Book Theif proved me wrong by being incredible. Anyway, it's a great book. A real page turner and incredibly original. I think it's a series. I know there's a second book, but it's worth checking out. And yay to another great book changing my mind about young adult fiction. Maybe one more great young adult read will purge the Twilight series out of my system for good.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »

I'm always reading something and lately this is what I've been reading , that I really enjoyed and couldn't put down:

All American Girl by Meg Cabot
All American Girl: Ready or Not by Meg Cabot
Airhead by Meg Cabot
Airhead:Being Nikki by Meg Cabot
Eye Of The World by Robert Jordan

I'm actually still in the process of reading Eye of The World, i've got about half of it left to read, but it's really pretty neat. If I think of anything more I'll be sure to mention it :-)

~*~ Minnie ~* ~

I've read All America Girl multiple times... love that book! It was my favorite Meg Cabot one until I read the Mediator Series.  I'd def. recomment those books-- they're good if you like an easy, fun read with a bit of the supernatural (ghosts).

I just finished Lady Susan by Jane Austen-- I'm not usually into epistolary novels (written in letters), but I really liked this one.  Austen is wonderful at characterizati on.  Currently, I'm reading the first Sherlock Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and I really like it so far.   :)

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »

aww Ready or Not is the only Meg book that I haven't liked. All American Girl kept my attention ok, but I thought Ready Or Not was kinda I dunno. Boring Maybe?
I do however LOVE the Airhead series. Runaway comes out in like June of next year. It's killing me that it's so far away!!!  My favorite Cabot books are still the Mediator Series. You should check those ones out next if you haven't yet.

I read this one not that long ago that was kind of cute called Black Sheep by Yvonne Collins. About a girl who doesn't really fit in at home and gets sucked into this "wife swap" type reality show where two teenagers switch families for the summer.

I should have read this entire thread before I posted!  Yes, I wish she would write more books in that series.  They apparently didn't do well when they were initially published, as she hadn't made it "big" as an author yet, but they've sold well since.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »

Hunger Games   is on my to-read list. I hear such wonderful things about it. And then if I like it there's Catching Fire.

But I just finished reading the House Of Night series by P.C. and Kristen Cast. (Marked, Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, Hunted and Tempted)
Love-love-loved this series!! I'm eternally addicted to it now and am dying for the next book to come out. Anyone else read this series?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 04:25:46 AM »

Hunger Games   is on my to-read list. I hear such wonderful things about it. And then if I like it there's Catching Fire.

But I just finished reading the House Of Night series by P.C. and Kristen Cast. (Marked, Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, Hunted and Tempted)
Love-love-loved this series!! I'm eternally addicted to it now and am dying for the next book to come out. Anyone else read this series?

I've got the first book in the House of Night series waiting to be read.  But at the moment I'm reading The Vampire Diaries by L J Smith and really loving it.  It's a little Twilight like, but as I adore those Twilight books, I don't mind one little bit!

kissesxoxo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »

i haven' t picked up a book not having to do with school in Months, I forgot what the fun ones look like.

*~*~* Minnie ~*~*~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10