Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12753 times)

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
  • The drumbeat is the sound my heart makes.
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »

That sounds like an interesting story.

It is.  I was a little skeptical at first because...it just sounded so depressing, but it was well told and in the end, I couldn't even comprehend how they could be such good friends afterward.  No one else understood either, but together, let did something great and made a lot of people aware of The Innocence Project.

On a different note, another nonfiction recommendation .  I suggest reading anything by Bill Bryson.  I just finished his book, A Walk in the Woods, which is his memoir about hiking the Appalachain Trail.  A lot of his books are about his travels and experiences but his writing is just so quick and witty, each book goes by quick and you have a great time reading too.  His new book At Home, is about his house in London, but he has an uncanny way of making things such as doors and chair rails completely fascinating.

Haha, I tend to get a little enthusiastic about the authors I love.  Sorry.
"My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »

Anyone read any of Tess Gerrittsen's books?  I've read one so far called 'Call After Midnight' and couldn't put it down.  It was full of action and suspense, so I've got two others which I'm going to read.  I also just finished 'The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud' and really loved that from start to finish.

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »

I loved the Death & Life of Charlie St. Clous - the movie, not so much but I'd totally recommend that book as well!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »

I've not seen the film yet as the films are usually a bit of a disappointment, but I'll get around to watching it one day.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »

I loved the Death & Life of Charlie St. Clous - the movie, not so much but I'd totally recommend that book as well!

I read that book a long time ago and loved it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 10:10:10 PM »

Is that the one that was made into a movie with Zac Efron?  That actually looked like a good movie; I kinda wanted to see it, but never got around to it.  Did not know it was a book... maybe I'll have to check that out.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 10:55:12 PM »

Is that the one that was made into a movie with Zac Efron?  That actually looked like a good movie; I kinda wanted to see it, but never got around to it.  Did not know it was a book... maybe I'll have to check that out.

Haha yeah, it's the Zac Efron movie.  I mean, the movie wasn't bad but when you've read the book beforehand...t here was just no comparison, like it usually is when they translate into film.

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 06:43:57 AM »

I don't know if anyone did already, but I definitely recommend The Hunger Games series. I bought the first book and finished reading it a few days ago. I'm so hooked. ;D I am dying to buy the 2nd and 3rd book as well but I have to wait till November 1st before I can spend any more money. :( lol
I was considering to buy the English book first but I couldn't find a website where I could order it without having to pay a lot of shipping costs. So I ordered the Dutch translation anyway.

The series will be a perfect addition to my Harry Potter and Twilight books. They're all in my bookcase, I can't wait till I have The Hunger Games series complete as well. :) Besides, my Harry Potter and Twilight books are in Dutch as well so I guess it's not that much of a problem that I will buy the Dutch translations of these series.

They are gonna make movies of the series and the first movie will be out in late 2011. I hope they can make the movie look good but, as Sevily said above, most of the time the books are better than the movies. I'm very curious anyway. I'm definitely gonna watch it once it's released. :)

There's one thing I don't understand. A lot of people compare The Hunger Games to the Twilight series. They aren't similar in any way. :/ They're both fantasy books but that's the only similarity..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:50:56 AM by TheDistantHeart »

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »

I've just looked The Hunger Games up on Amazon and it looks really good.  I might have to give it a read :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 05:00:51 AM »

I've got to say, I saw Charlie St Cloud last night and really enjoyed it!  Obviously it wasn't as good as the book because books are always better (more details, etc) but I thought they'd done a good job of it.  Also, Zac Efron is gorgeous :) (can't believe I'm admitting that, lol)

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »

I recommend a book called "Sarah's Key."  It's about a woman named Julia who lives in Paris but was born in America.  She discovers that the house she lives in used to be owned by a Jewish family in 1942, and were captured and sent off to Auschwitz.  She researches the family and finds that Sarah was the only one to survive out of her family.  The research leads to discover other secrets about her husband, who is an ass, and herself.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »

My grandma was just telling me about that book!  She's reading it for her book club.  She said she'd let me borrow it after she finishes it.  She made me read "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" last, and I liked that one too, but this one actually sounds more up my alley.  I've never been a huge fan of historical fiction, but I do love history, so the fact that part of it is told in the present makes it more appealing.  I find the Holocaust stuff interesting anyway, though.  I'll definitely have to read it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 01:16:45 AM »

Sounds like an interesting book, I like those kind of stories too.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 06:24:45 AM »

I recommend a book called "Sarah's Key."  It's about a woman named Julia who lives in Paris but was born in America.  She discovers that the house she lives in used to be owned by a Jewish family in 1942, and were captured and sent off to Auschwitz.  She researches the family and finds that Sarah was the only one to survive out of her family.  The research leads to discover other secrets about her husband, who is an ass, and herself.

I guess I'll have to read it if only because they stole my name! :O
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 08:00:56 AM »

Name thieves.  :D
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10