Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12772 times)

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
  • The drumbeat is the sound my heart makes.
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »

I heard The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is really graphic. While it does sound interesting, I'm a little weary to read it.
"My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »

It does get pretty graphic.  Once I got into it, I was shocked that my grandmother had read it and enjoyed it and wanted me to read it LOL.  But it was good, if you like mystery/thrillers.  I thought it started out slow, but it got a lot better; overall, I enjoyed it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
  • The drumbeat is the sound my heart makes.
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 07:38:30 PM »

Two more  nonfiction recommendation s:

1) Left to Tell - Immaculée Ilibagiza - a true account of how she and 7 other women cramped themselves into a tiny bathroom for 91 days during the 1994 Rwandan Genocide.  She was home from college visiting her family when the genocide broke out and she explains the brutal murders of her family and how her faith kept her alive.  It's unbelievable.

2) Devil in the White City - Erik Larson - (for those who like serial killers) this is the real thing.  In 1893 during the Chicago World Fair a man lured his victims there and then murders them in what he calls the "Murder Castle."  It's in novel form which makes it more accessible to those who don't like to read nonficiton.
"My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2010, 08:42:35 PM »

I have to recommend House Rules by Jodi Picoult. YOu know i'm a huge fan but this one is almost right up there wth Nineteen Minutes for me. I really enjoyed it!

It's about a boy who has Asperger's and is accused of murdering his social skills teacher and just like all her books it's told from multiple POVs.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 09:02:20 PM »

Sounds interesting.  I really like the books of hers that I've read; the premises are always interesting, they make you think, there's always a twist ending, and you can tell she really does her research.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2010, 06:50:33 AM »

Sounds like an interesting read, especially since both my sister and one of my friends have sons with Aspergers.  I might have to buy that once I've got through the books I've already got.

I've just finished The Hunger Games and really enjoyed it.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2010, 06:56:23 AM »

I have to recommend House Rules by Jodi Picoult. YOu know i'm a huge fan but this one is almost right up there wth Nineteen Minutes for me. I really enjoyed it!

It's about a boy who has Asperger's and is accused of murdering his social skills teacher and just like all her books it's told from multiple POVs.

Have you read Tenth Circle? I bought that yesterday. I'm trying to decide whether to give it to my sister for Xmas or keep it for myself lol I like how it's a mix of writing and comics.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »

That was one of my least favorite ones by her actually. LOL That one and Mercy are the oly two novels of hers I didn't like.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »

I am going to recommend The Doctor's Daughter by Amy Blizzard.

It's a historical romance which you know isn't something I'd normally recommend, but it's incredibly well written and by an old fanfic writer we're all familiar with.

Amy was an old school fanfic writer. Co-wrote Can You Keep a Secret with Kat as well as On the Outside and she also co-wrote a few stories with Marly. I'm so happy for her! You can find her book everywhere :)

YAY Amy!!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 10:30:27 PM »

Aww, Amy published a book too?  That's awesome!  Good for her!  We should start a site just for former and current fanfic writers who have published; that's at least three now in our little circle.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »

Did she really? I agree with Julie, we need like a list for this :).
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2010, 03:53:01 PM »

Yup, this is acctually her second book she's gotten published. The first one was her On the Outside which she unfanficed shortly after Mel's got published.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »

My SIL recommended The Glass Castle...have any of you read it?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »

Nope, who wrote it, do you know?

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »

Nope, who wrote it, do you know?

The Glass Castle is written by Jeannette Walls - it is based on the true story of what her and her siblings grew up dealing with.  Apparently, her mother was from a really wealthy family but her family was homeless on and off, etc. when at any time they could have gone to some big bucks ranch where her mother's family was...

Another that she recommended was The Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow.

She read both for her book club.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10