Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12766 times)

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »

The Adrian Mole Diaries series by Sue Townsend. Seriously some of the funniest books I've ever read. They start out when Adrian is 13 1/2 years old and each novel is a different set of years in his life (the most recent one he's in his late 30s). They're written as if it's his diary, and though he takes himself completely seriously (too seriously) the events he relays are just incredibly absurd and you feel sorry for everyone in his life that actually has to live with him, his worries, his self-absorption, and horrendous poetry (which he continually sends to the BBC despite the fact that they've rejected it many times and have pleaded with him to STOP lol).

I swear I can be in the worst moods and pick up one of these books and they never fail to get me laughing within a few pages.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »

^  Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:22 AM »

The Adrian Mole Diaries series by Sue Townsend. Seriously some of the funniest books I've ever read. They start out when Adrian is 13 1/2 years old and each novel is a different set of years in his life (the most recent one he's in his late 30s). They're written as if it's his diary, and though he takes himself completely seriously (too seriously) the events he relays are just incredibly absurd and you feel sorry for everyone in his life that actually has to live with him, his worries, his self-absorption, and horrendous poetry (which he continually sends to the BBC despite the fact that they've rejected it many times and have pleaded with him to STOP lol).

I swear I can be in the worst moods and pick up one of these books and they never fail to get me laughing within a few pages.

I read those books back when I was in school and they were really funny!  There was even a TV series back in the 80s which was good at the time, but probably looks really dated now.

I've not read the latest one though, where he's in his 30s, might have to check that out :)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 01:42:13 AM »

My book group picked Hunger Games this month. I'm excited to finally read it. I've been meaning to for months. I also just finished one called "Hush, Hush". It's fairly new by a first time author.  It's about a fallen angel.  Very very good book! I loved it.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »

As a Librarian, I have tons of reading suggestions that span ALL age groups. 

Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley - it's a children's series but it's really cute.  If you ever enjoyed fairy tales, you'll love it.  Plus, it has some romance in it!

Heather Wells series by Meg Cabot.  Size 12 is not Fat and so on.  I love the whole retired pop star thing mixed into the mystery genre.  Whoda thunkit?

Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich - Only up to about book twelve though.  The series has gotten very stagnant.  I do love these for their humor though!

As for classics, I just read Dracula and I LOVED it.  Even though the rest of my lit class hated it, I also enjoyed Wuthering Heights.  If you give it a chance there's a wonderful love triangle with very deep characters that can be dissected layer by layer.

I know I've read tons more, but those are the ones in my mind at the moment!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »

^ Wuthering Heights was one of the only classics I was forced to read in high school that I actually kinda liked, once I got into it.  The characters were all so dysfunctional, but it was interesting.  I can't say I read much classic literature for fun, though; I just find them so wordy that they're hard for me to get into and get through.  They're just written in a different style.

I'm reading "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult right now and liking that.  I'm almost done with it, and then I have another of her books, "Change of Heart," waiting in the wings.

One recommendation I can throw out there for any horror fans is "The Ruins" by Scott Smith.  I read that earlier this year and absolutely loved it; one of the best scary books I've ever read.  I'm a Stephen King fan, and he gave it rave reviews too.  I had seen the movie before I read the book, and I love the movie too, but one thing that was nice about reading the book after I saw the movie was that, even though the premise is the same, the book was a lot different, down to what happened to each character, so it was unpredictable, and I didn't really know how it was going to turn out because it was so different.  It kept me in suspense.  I couldn't put it down!

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 09:03:24 PM »

Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley - it's a children's series but it's really cute.  If you ever enjoyed fairy tales, you'll love it.  Plus, it has some romance in it!

I love that series! :-D

Has anyone read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Don't let the movie deter you, the books are fantastic especially if you like Greek mythology.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »

I read the first one after seeing the movie.  It was pretty good.  Not Harry Potter good, though, to me.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »

I have actually wanted to check those out but haven't yet. I just saw the movie and was all , eh? lol But I know how movies vs books go sometimes.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »

"Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend" by Lynda Curnyn

I think it's out of print now, it was a chick-lit type label from Harlequin, which had some pretty good books. This book, however, is really good. It's probably my favorite besides "Good In Bed" by Jennifer Wiener.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »

I have actually wanted to check those out but haven't yet. I just saw the movie and was all , eh? lol But I know how movies vs books go sometimes.

I liked the movie, but there was a lot changed from the book. 
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 12:02:23 AM »

^ I read that he sold the rights to the book for the movie before the book was even finished so he had little to no say in the movie. 

Read the books, they are fantastic.  I love Greek mythology so I probably like them a teensy bit more than the HP books.  I love the Rick Riordian is writing more about Camp Half-Blood but not expanding on the story of Percy Jackson more. Also he's writing a series taking place in Egypt... haven't read it yet, but LOVE that he's writing about 2 of my absolute fave eras to read about.  Now if he writes anything about the Tudor era.. ;) 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
  • The drumbeat is the sound my heart makes.
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »

If you're into nonfiction I suggest Picking Cotton by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Ronald Cotton.

Jennifer was raped in college and accused Ronald of the crime.  He was sent to prison and twelve years later, DNA proved it wasn't him and he was released.  Afterwards, the two met and forged a bond.  The memoir is told in both POVs so you really get a feel to how each was feeling and their reactions to everything.
"My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »

I am almost done reading "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."  My grandma loaned me her copy and insisted that I read it... which I find hilarious now that I'm almost done with it, because it's quite dark and graphic, and I'm like, "My GRANDMOTHER liked this book??"  She said she couldn't put it down!  I thought it started out really slow, and if I hadn't told her I'd read it, I probably would have abandoned it, but I kept with it, and it did get good in the middle.  I love the character of Lisbeth Salander; she made the book.  I didn't get interested in the book until she was introduced; great example of a kick-ass female lead.

Anyway, has anyone read the sequels?  Are they good, or better?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 09:59:41 PM »

If you're into nonfiction I suggest Picking Cotton by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Ronald Cotton.

Jennifer was raped in college and accused Ronald of the crime.  He was sent to prison and twelve years later, DNA proved it wasn't him and he was released.  Afterwards, the two met and forged a bond.  The memoir is told in both POVs so you really get a feel to how each was feeling and their reactions to everything.

That sounds like an interesting story.
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10