Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: All things Jodi Picoult  (Read 3113 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
All things Jodi Picoult
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:21:31 PM »

This is the thread for people like me who have read a gabiilion of her books and want to discuss them.

I am almost done with Vanishing Acts now. But still my favorite has been Nineteen Minutes.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
Re: All things Jodi Picoult
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »

Nineteen Minutes is my favorite JP too...the only other one I have read by her is My Sister's Keeper. 

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »

So far I've read My Sister's Keeper, Change Of Heart, Plain Truth, Perfect Match, and Nineteen Minutes

My favorite would have to be Change of Heart.  It's a bit reminiscent of Green Mile, but at the same time, completely different.  I just love the entire message of the story.

My second favorite would have to be My Sister's Keeper.

The others were good, but not my faves.  Nineteen Minutes brought back too big a reminder of Columbine for me and honestly I know this sounds awful, but I don't really want to read a story that tries to make me feel sorry for the guy who committed a murder like that.  :shrug:

-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:26:14 PM »

I've read My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, Second Glance, Keeping Faith, The Pact, Change of Heart, The Tenth Circle, Plain Truth and Vanishing Acts. I think there are some others but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I have loved some and not enjoyed some. The only one I couldn't really finish was Mercy. I just thought that one was incredibly boring. The other one I wasn't really crazy about on that list was the Tenth Circle.

All the others were great reads. I love how she writes in first person. I know i've mentioned that before, but I love books written in first person. To me it makes the story move faster.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:27:04 PM »

Favorite Quotes?

My favorite at the moment is from Change of Heart;

*No matter what Mr. Philosopher Next Door thought, there were things I knew for sure:  That I had been loved, once, and had loved back.  That a person could find hope in the way a weed grew.  That the sum of a man's life was not where he wound up but in the details that brought him there.

That we made mistakes.

I closed my eyes, sick of the riddles, and to my surprise all I could see were dandelions - as if they had been painted on the fields of my imagination, a hundred thousand suns.  And I remembered something else that makes us human: faith, the only weapon in our arsenal to battle doubt.*
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »

See, that's one of the reasons I found Nineteen Minutes so compelling. I love how she wrote from everyone's pOV including the shooter. So many times we just tend to demonize the shooter and not know about him. Not to say what he did wasn't pure evil but she really did a great job at letting us see that in the end he was just a troubled kid. I also liked being able to see things from his parent's POV as well.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:33:15 PM »

You're right about Change of Heart as well. It was very Green Mile. If i'm not mistaken, didn't she even mention The Green Mile in the book? LOL I thought that was pretty funny. I love how open-ended the ending was for that one and how many questions it raised. If you liked that one, I suggest you read Keeping Faith. It reminded me a lot of Change of Heart.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:53:07 PM »

I read My Sister's Keeper.  ;D I really enjoyed it. (Except the end.)
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 06:27:38 AM »

See, that's one of the reasons I found Nineteen Minutes so compelling. I love how she wrote from everyone's pOV including the shooter. So many times we just tend to demonize the shooter and not know about him. Not to say what he did wasn't pure evil but she really did a great job at letting us see that in the end he was just a troubled kid. I also liked being able to see things from his parent's POV as well.

Oh definitely.  I thought it was beautifully written and I too loved the idea of it being written from all points of view and even the reason for making a person want to see the other side of and even feel sorry for the "bad guy"... I just don't wanna... lol. 

Honestly for me though... I've personally always been the type who wondered about the other side of the person and their family and what they could possibly have gone through in their life to get them there.  I realize that not everything is cut and dry - that not every murderer should be sentenced to death on the spot (I guess it's the liberal in me  ;) )  but it makes the whole situation even sadder than it already is.  When I opened Nineteen Minutes and started reading and realized it was about a school shooting I almost put it down.  I remember exactly where I was when Columbine happened and I remember the shootings in Paducah and Arkansas and the many randoms that followed and it wasn't something I wanted to think/or read about... but it was how well it was written that kept me going.
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 09:02:27 AM »

I agree completely!

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »

I just started reading My Sister's Keeper which is the first book in a LOOOOONG time that I have read that has really intrigued me. I LOVE Anna's moral dillema and how Jodi Picoult does such an awesome job presenting everyone's side in the story. It makes the situation that much more complex and difficult for the reader to take sides, which I love. I'm still only halfway through so shh... No spoilers! I'm so excited to find a new author to explore. It's been a while since I've been impressed with any one author.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »

once you're done, you should go find the My Sister's Keeper thread and add your two cents in there.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »

once you're done, you should go find the My Sister's Keeper thread and add your two cents in there.

Yea I know! I don't want to venture in there just yet because of spoilers, but when I finish I will definitely throw out my thoughts there. My edition also has some wonderful book club discussion questions about the novel too at the end.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »

I would definitely like to check out more by Jodi when I run out of books to read.  I'll probably get Nineteen Minutes next, since I've heard such great things about it.  I'm rereading Harry Potter right now, and I've also been in a Stephen King phase, plus I ordered Jurassic Park off Amazon, so I have plenty of books to keep me occupied for awhile.  But it's nice to have new writers to explore for those times when I'm looking for something new to read and have no idea what.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 10:08:18 PM »

Jurassic Park was an excellent book. Another example of the book being so much better than the movie! Although I loved the movie as well lol 
Pages: [1] 2 3