Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: All things Jodi Picoult  (Read 3077 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: All things Jodi Picoult
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »

Really?  Wow, that makes me excited to read it then.  Cause I agree, I love the movie!!  I'm surprised I've never read the book... I guess maybe it's just cause when the movie came out, obviously, we were too young for the book, and then it just kinda fell off my radar.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 08:42:16 AM »

I've read two of her books so far, Change of Heart and Salem Falls.  I've got Vanishing Acts to read next, then I think I'll buy My Sister's Keeper.  I really like her books as they are quite different to the usual romance stuff I read.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »

I loved Change of Heart, I came upon that at school in need of a new book lol and I'd just read My Sister's Keeper for the book discussion. That's an awesome book, I really loved the challenges on religion cause that's always been fascinating to me.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 09:39:07 PM »

Another one that really focuses on religion is Keeping Faith. That was an awesome book as well!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »

So I just finished My Sister's Keeper and I'm bawling like a baby right now. Man... Talk about irony... That's all I have to say for the moment  :'(

Now I need a new Jodi Picoult book to read. I think I'm going to run out to Borders tom morning. Any suggestions?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »

Nineteen Minutes! That by far is her best book in my opnion anyway.

Other good ones by her: Plain Truth, Keeping Faith, Change of Heart, The Pact was okay. I have loved Vanishing Acts but for some reason it's taking me forever to finish it!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 10:56:58 PM »

Thanks Mare! I'll see what I can get tomorrow, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

It's a shame because just back in June our local Scholastic warehouse was having one of their yearly warehouse sales for the public where books are 50%-80% off. I went and stocked up on some childrens book to add to my library for my non exisistant classroom and I'm pretty sure I saw some Jodi Picoult books in the adult section. I should have picked them up!

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »

Nineteen Minutes is a MUST read!!!  One of my face books of all time.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 07:26:55 PM »

I just finished "Plain Truth" last week and am now reading "Change of Heart."  I thought Plain Truth was great.  I like how all her books seem to be about legal/moral issues that really make you think, and just like with My Sister's Keeper, she threw a twist I wasn't expecting in at the end there.

I started Change of Heart the other day and am loving it so far; I'm not that far into it, but I think it has a nice mix of interesting characters.  I'm wondering though, for people who have read it... total Green Mile rip-off or what?!  I got to the part where Shay brings the bird back to life last night and was like, WTF?!  At least she acknowledged it by having one of the other inmates call him Green Mile later, but still...
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »

JODI!! My fellow NH-native writer! I love her!! Second Glance = THE BEST.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »

Nineteen Minutes is the one I make everyone read. I have really loved al the books I have read by her with the exception of Mercy and 10th Circle. I wasn't crazy about those.

Plain Truth was one of my favorites. I'm glad oyu enjoyed it!

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 10:11:26 PM »

Nineteen Minutes is the one I make everyone read. I have really loved al the books I have read by her with the exception of Mercy and 10th Circle. I wasn't crazy about those.

You didn't like The 10th Circle!?? Oh my!! I might've liked it more, though, because I read it for an extra credit project in a lit class we were studying Dante in.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »

It just didn't hold my interest as much as her other books did. I think my problem was I didn't like the lead characters. LOL When that happens I have a hard time seeing the book through. The Dante stuff was entertaining though.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 07:27:14 AM »

I agree with you 100% on all counts.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
  • The drumbeat is the sound my heart makes.
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »

I'm late to the party on this one but she's my favorite author ever.  I had the opportunity to have dinner with her last year and the way she talked about her writing made me fall even more in love with her books.

I'm not too fond of Mercy because...I just really hate cheating and I hate reading about it haha

But if you haven't, read Picture Perfect, and Songs of the Humpback Whale.  They're both from earlier in her career but they're awesome to read.  Plain Truth is another amazing one.

I bought My Sister's Keeper to read on a flight home from Denver and the poor man sitting next to me had no idea what to do when I burst into tears at the end of the novel.  haha...
"My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."
Pages: 1 [2] 3