Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Felix Awards score sheets request thread.  (Read 17326 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Felix Awards score sheets request thread.
« on: August 02, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »

Howdy all!

I know a lot of you have been asking for your score sheets since before the awards even took place, so now is the chance to make an official request.

Julilly made an incredible rubric to help make the process easier and the results ended up being cut and dry, so you all should really thank her for taking the time to create the rubric that all the judges used to decide who won. Some judges really dissected each point of the rubric and some were more vague. Again, it really depended on who read your story. All in all what you should remember is, it's just one person's opinion of your story whether that opinion was good or bad.

~ Judges will remain anonymous. If they want to tell you who they were they are free to do so, but if you ask us, we won't let you know. I will just say, even though I probably don't have to, that none of the judges were allowed to judge categories for which they were nominated.

~ We will only send you your own score sheets. If someone who isn't a forum member wants one, they can take five minutes and join. It took us all much longer than that to judge their stories, the least they can do is sign up to get their sheets.

~ We have a lot of comment sheets and the more specific you are the easier they will be to find. That means filling out a bunch of these depending on the category.

Thanks a lot guys and once again, thanks to all of the judges for helping out!

Give us the information below and we will then PM you your results as soon as we can.

Your name:
Name of story:
Category(ies) it was nominated for:

Please do this for every story you are interested in.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Felix Awards score sheets request thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »

I wanna see!

alota_cookin (obviously, LOL)
Life According to Baylee
Best Unfinished category

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »

Sent :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 05:03:20 PM »

Just a thought - it might help to make the rubric public, so the authors can see the same points the judges were looking at when they gave their score and wrote their comments for each category, just to clarify what, specifically, the story was being judged on.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »

I suggested that as well but since Julilly is the one who came up with the rubric I wanted to wait for her okay before it was posted. Once she gives the all clear, I will.

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »

I'd like mine please.

Sapphire
Plus Size
Best Romance
Best New Author.

Thanks!

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »

I'd love to see mine too, I'll have to compile a list... sorry. I'll be back.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »

I want mine!

Rose lol

00Carter
Best AU
Best Action Adventure
Best Collaboration

Just Another Day
Best First Person POV
Best Romance

Born To Be
Best Fantasy/Supernatural

Divisions Of Reality
Best Science Fiction

Thankies!

Wow...that was more than I thought once I checked the nom list LOL
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Frick24x

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »

I'd like mine please!

Your name: Frick24x (Erin)
Name of story: Illusions of Deceit
Category(ies) it was nominated for: Best Tear-Jerker

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »

I'd like mine please.

Sapphire
Plus Size
Best Romance
Best New Author.

Thanks!

Sent, but there is nothing for the author category. None of the voted on categories had comments.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 09:14:46 PM »

Just a thought - it might help to make the rubric public, so the authors can see the same points the judges were looking at when they gave their score and wrote their comments for each category, just to clarify what, specifically, the story was being judged on.

I was hesitant to post it on the board since I'm sure you're aware it got ripped off last year, and I spent a lot more time on this year's but I figure if someone really wants it they'll get it  :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »

I was hesitant to post it on the board since I'm sure you're aware it got ripped off last year, and I spent a lot more time on this year's but I figure if someone really wants it they'll get it  :)

Awww that's right! People who steal things suck, and are lazy and other things I could go on and on ranting about. I mean seriously.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »

I want mine!

Rose lol

00Carter
Best AU
Best Action Adventure
Best Collaboration

Have been sent lol the rest will come. It takes awhile to track these down.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »

I was hesitant to post it on the board since I'm sure you're aware it got ripped off last year, and I spent a lot more time on this year's but I figure if someone really wants it they'll get it  :)

Haha, true, I forgot about that!  Yeah, I don't blame you for not posting it then.  I know you worked hard on it, and the risk of plagiarism isn't worth it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »

We are going to post it though, just people no stealing. It's annoying when you work hard on something only to find it taken by someone else! Let's call it the Tanja rule? lol

here is the fantastic rubric which we all followed.

Each category will recieve a rating out of 66, broken down by 11 characteristic s each with a value of 6. All the details you need to fill each out are be listed below. For each value you give you must explain why the story recieved it as a note beneath each judged characteristic . If you feel that the value falls between two of the explanations listed, you can give less than a full point. (IE: If it's not as low as 3 but not as high as 4... 3.5 is an adequate score) Once you have completed judging a category, send along the score cards for EACH story via personal message to me! Thanks!

A. Overall                                  [_/6]
B. Voice                                    [_/6]
C. Pace                                     [_/6]
D. Characterizati on                      [_/6]
E. Plot                                       [_/6]
F. Style                                     [_/6]
G. Details ]                                 [_/6]
H. Dialogue                                 [_/6]
I. Showing Versus Telling              [_/6]
J. Mastery of the English Language [_/6]
K. Category                                [_/6]

Total [__/66]

To help you make your decisions here are the guidelines you will use. (That's a you "will", not a you "can" lol)

A. Overall - Did you love it? Hate it?

B. Voice - Is it easy to understand/follow? Do the words flow?

C. Pace - After one chapter do you want to read the next? Does one transition into the other smoothly or does it jump around choppily?

D. Characterizati on - Do you like the characters? Are they three dimensional? Do you care what happens to them?

E. Plot - Plot evolves from conflict. Is the plot believable, or interesting? Can you see a beginning, climax, and end?

F. Style - No two writers are likely to write the same scene the same way, but the writer must succeed in using the right word, phrase, sentence, paragraph etc to successfully convey the action. Can you "see" it happening?

G. Details - If a writer can convince you something is true, who cares if it actually is? Details separate one character from another, one place from another, do you believe in the details/emotions?

H. Dialogue - "Contrary to popular view, dialogue is not a recording of actual speech," rather it is a form of speech, an invented language of exchanges between characters that propel the story towards conflicts/climaxes. Does the dialogue move the story or is it idle chitchat?

I. Showing vs. Telling - Is the author reporting the story or are they showing it? Showing means making scenes visual, telling is a grocery list of actions.

J. Mastery of the English Language - Grammar, usage, and punctuation. Are there many "cosmetic" flaws, are words poorly chosen or improperly chosen? Is there an overuse of the same adjectives, adverbs, etc (does all dialogue end in "said")

K. Category - Does it fit the category? If it's up for Best Romance is it romantic? Is there a solid love story? Does it fit the "mould"? If it's up for Best Cliffhanger is there a cliffhanger? Did you find it suspenseful?, etc...

To make your decisions, and give each characterizati on a value out of 6, use this rubric as a guideline:

0 - Completely illegible, in a language other than English, lacks any structure.

1 - An inadequate piece of writing, a weak attempt, little or no awareness of audience. Details are frequently repetitive, underdeveloped, and inappropriate. Unorganized, lacking coherent sentence structure, not in a readable style.

2 - A marginal piece of writing. An attempt was made, but is at best inconsistent. Ideas are frequently repetitive, and unevenly developed. Does not present the reader with a unified and coherent sequence of structure/ideas. Numerous errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation are present.

3 - An adequate piece of writing. There are occasional inconsistencie s and errors. Ideas, examples, and details are occasionally repetitive. An acceptable degree of organization, generally unified and coherent. Frequent errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

4 - An effective piece of writing. Occasional inconsistencie s but overall well developed. Contains effective ideas, examples, and details. Good organization, coherent sentences and an effective style. Has occasional grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors.

5 - An excellent piece of writing. Ideas are clear, strong and well developed with good examples and details throughout. Engages the reader with a unified and coherent sequence and structure of ideas. A variety of sentence structures are used and include effective word choices, and an engaging style. A good understanding of grammar, spelling, and punctuation with few errors, if any.

6 - A superior piece of writing. Exceptionally developed, contains compelling ideas and detail. Actively engages the reader with unified and coherent sequence and structure of ideas. A variety of sentence structures, effective word choices, and an engaging style. Free from errors that impair a reader's comprehension. Few errors, if any, in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4