Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Speaking of Harry Potter...  (Read 1739 times)

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
Speaking of Harry Potter...
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »

Did anyone see the newest movie???

*SPOILER ALERT* (And just to note I think it's DUMB that there should even have to BE a spoiler alert on a movie when everyone's already read the book!  If there is, something's wrong!)

Anyway umm... they burn down the Weasley's house!?!?!   >:(  That was most definitely NOT in the book.
I thought that entire scene was unecessecary, especially when they left out the MAJOR battle scene at the end of the book.  In fact, they left out ALL of those characters.

Where the heck were Bill and Fleur?  Why weren't Tonks and Lupin guarding Hogwarts?  Where in the world are Kreacher and Dobby!??!

They also left out all of the memories that help Harry figure out the Horcruxes later on...

And the worst part of the entire movie... Dumbledore's death.  Because yes indeed, Harry would have just stood there silently because Snape shushed him. NO!

Argh.  These movies make me so angry!
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Speaking of Harry Potter...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »

I loved the movie!!!  It's my favorite so far.  This happens every time one of the movies come out - some people will love it for how much it did represent the book, and others will complain because it didn't get everything in or changed some parts.  I don't agree with EVERY decision the filmmakers made, but in general, I think they got it right.  Like with the last two, it's a long book, and they couldn't have included every last detail without making the movie too long or too rushed.

I do wish they had left the battle of Hogwarts at the end instead of burning down the Weasleys' house.  The rationale I heard was that they wanted to create the feeling of danger in the middle of the movie... They felt it was too light and funny and wanted to remind you of what was going on in the rest of the wizarding world.  That makes sense I guess, but I still would have rather had the even bigger finale, at Hogwarts.

I know Bill and Fleur will be in the next one, so they'll just have to catch up on back story with them then.  They already had Tonks and Lupin together in this one as well.  But really, neither of those couplings were that important to the overall storyline of this book, so I can see why they cut them to simplify a bit.

As for the house-elves, I'm sure they'll be in the next movie, but at the same time, the impact of what happens with Kreacher and Dobby in Deathly Hallows won't be as great in the movie as it was in the book because they did leave out so many times where Dobby helps Harry over the last three books, etc.  I wonder if they did that because Dobby was kind of annoying in Chamber of Secrets LOL.  They didn't want him to become the Jar Jar Binks of Harry Potter.

I wondered about the Horcruxes too...  They'll have to figure out how to get around that, but it would have been smarter to have just added five or ten minutes to the movie of Dumbledore showing him snippets of those memories and telling Harry his theories.

At first I thought the same thing about Harry in the scene on the tower... but thinking about it more, I'm okay with how they did that.  Dumbledore told Harry to trust him and to obey him, and Harry did.  That shows his trust in Dumbledore.  When Snape came up, WE all knew what was going to happen, but Harry would have thought Snape was coming up to help fight off the Death-Eaters.  He wouldn't have said anything because he would have blown Snape's cover that way.  The fact that he stood there and watched it all happen will make him feel more guilty about not doing anything than he did in the book, where he physically COULDN'T have done anything.  And it will probably shake his trust in Dumbledore more too, because he trusted him and obeyed him when he, in his mind, shouldn't have.

The books will always be way better, but I do like the movies.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »

Well they explain that what Dumbledore had were horcruxes, and they explained what a horcrux is, and that Harry has to find them, and they brought clues in from book 7 to add to the horcrux storyline so I don't think it's going to be that much of an issue. Especially considering they're making an ENTIRE movie just about how he'll find the horcruxes lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »

I do wish they had left the battle of Hogwarts at the end instead of burning down the Weasleys' house.  The rationale I heard was that they wanted to create the feeling of danger in the middle of the movie... They felt it was too light and funny and wanted to remind you of what was going on in the rest of the wizarding world.  That makes sense I guess, but I still would have rather had the even bigger finale, at Hogwarts.

I heard that too... but I think it's a dumb reasoning.  They had too much of the love storylines in my opinion... they could have gotten rid of 90% of the entire Ron love story mushiness and put in the final battle.  And did anyone else notice that they added a certain flirtaciousnes s from Dumbledore's character towards Harry's?  I thought that was unecessary ("Oh my! You need to shave!"... gag)

At first I thought the same thing about Harry in the scene on the tower... but thinking about it more, I'm okay with how they did that.  Dumbledore told Harry to trust him and to obey him, and Harry did.  That shows his trust in Dumbledore.  When Snape came up, WE all knew what was going to happen, but Harry would have thought Snape was coming up to help fight off the Death-Eaters.  He wouldn't have said anything because he would have blown Snape's cover that way.  The fact that he stood there and watched it all happen will make him feel more guilty about not doing anything than he did in the book, where he physically COULDN'T have done anything.  And it will probably shake his trust in Dumbledore more too, because he trusted him and obeyed him when he, in his mind, shouldn't have.

The books will always be way better, but I do like the movies.

My mom said the same thing... about Harry making the promise to Dumbledore.  I think the fact that in the book Dumbledore STILL froze Harry speaks volumes.  He knew that there was no way Harry would stand there and do nothing... even if he did promise. 

I think my main problem with these movies is when they change things that are completely uncessesary.  There's no reason that the Dumbledore death storyline could not play out exactly as it had in the novel.  None at all.  It would not have taken any longer.

I know that some things have to be left out for time reasons and that a lot of the lesser story lines (Bill and Fleur, Dobby and Kreacher) while it sucks CAN be left out... but to leave out huge parts of the story just sucks.  >:(
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »

Well they explain that what Dumbledore had were horcruxes, and they explained what a horcrux is, and that Harry has to find them, and they brought clues in from book 7 to add to the horcrux storyline so I don't think it's going to be that much of an issue. Especially considering they're making an ENTIRE movie just about how he'll find the horcruxes lol

I know, but they'll have to find a different way to explain how Harry knows what to look for - like the Hufflepuff cup, something of Gryffindor's or Ravenclaw's - and that Nagini is most likely one too.  I know they'll find a way, but it wouldn't have taken them that much longer to just have Dumbledore share those theories in the 6th movie.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 06:51:11 PM »

As someone who hasn't read the books (Except the first one) I wasn't all that lost. The only thing that I didn't get and still really don't was the Weasley's house burning down and the two random people who were there. I know they showed up in one of the movies but they weren't all that memorable to me. I felt like the house burning thing was totally unnecessary and just made the movie that much longer especially since no one, including the Weasley's seemed to even care their house was burnt.  I also felt like the dead spider scene was another one of those why did they bother with that? type scenes. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 07:01:17 PM »

I'm just wondering how they're going to do the beginning of Deathly Hallows if the Weasleys' house is burned down LOL.  Several chapters take place there, including the whole wedding scene, which I know has been filmed for the movie.  Maybe they'll just say it was rebuilt magically, or maybe the wedding will be somewhere else in the movie.

The two "random people" were Lupin (werewolf and Defense Against the Dark Arts professor in the 3rd movie) and Tonks (she was briefly in the 5th movie - she's in the books more).  Lupin was at the Weasleys' house for Christmas in the book, so that makes sense, and they have a minor subplot in the book where Tonks is in love with Lupin, but Lupin thinks she deserves better than him.  They finally hook up at the end.  The movie just had them together already, so that's why they were both there.  They're important because they're both in the Order of the Phoenix, the organization out to fight Voldemort, and Lupin is especially important because he was one of Harry's dad's best friends.

The dead spider scene is right out of the book... it's just part of the sequence of events that allowed Harry to get the memory from Slughorn.  There's a little more set-up to it in the book, because Hagrid mentions that Aragog is sick and probably dying of old age, and then when he dies, he actually invites Harry, Ron, and Hermione down to the funeral, so it's not as out-of-nowhere as in the movie.  I have to say, though, that part turned out to be one of my favorite scenes of the whole movie - the way Dan Radcliffe played up the whole Felix Felices thing like Harry was high was hilarious, and the Danny Boy-esque music playing in the background while they have the funeral for the big dead spider cracked me up too LOL.

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »

^ see, I love Dan Radcliffe, but I thought that spider scene was really poorly acted. I didn't buy the whole felix felices thing. (As well as Hermione crying over Ron) For me, maybe it was because it happened so late in the movie and I was ready for it to be over. This movie (even though I thought it was good) felt eternally long to me so when that spider scene happened It just managed to do nothing but annoy me. I know if I had read the books first it would have been a different experience most likely lol that's why I think i've decided to read them all before the last movie. I was originally going to wait until they were all done, but I have a feeling if I do that, i'm not going to appreciate the ending of the series.

Those other two people Lupin and Tonks lol really did feel random. Even though they are important in the books. I didn't get the feeling they were all that important in the movie. For some reason, I barely remember the Order of the Pheonix. I wll probably have to rent that one again.

I plan on buying the next two HP books to read for the start of the school year.

Thanks for explaining, that was helpful.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:34:14 AM »

Those other two people Lupin and Tonks lol really did feel random. Even though they are important in the books. I didn't get the feeling they were all that important in the movie. For some reason, I barely remember the Order of the Pheonix. I wll probably have to rent that one again.

They've devalued so many of the characters in the movies.  The movies really only focus on Harry, Ron and Hermione (on the "good" side in regards to the teens) when there are so many more characters who play such a HUGE role in the next movie.  Neville for example. 

When they turned the huge battle scene in the OoTP between Neville, Luna, Hermione, Ron, Harry and the death eaters into a scene where only Harry fought while the others were being chokerheld by death eaters they majorly devalued those friendships to Harry.  They did the same thing this time around by leaving out the fight scene at the end.  In the book Harry has Neville and Luna as well as Hermione and Ron keeping watch while he goes with Dumbledore to the cave and when they arrive back IN Hogsmead NOT in the castle because even Dumbledore CANNOT Apperate within Hogwarts  ::)  the dark mark is already over the castle and everyone is already battling the death eaters.

I also thought the whole death eaters at the Weasleys was dumb because in the book you know that they had put all of the highest protection on the weasley's house to keep Harry safe... same as at Hogwarts.  :shrug:
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »

It's funny because I have heard from a lot of people who read the books that Neville is a really important character but he seems like a background guy in the movies.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »

Yeah, I agree Rachel.  I'm glad they at least had all of them go to the Ministry in Order of the Phoenix (although they could have SO much more with that whole sequence - they cut out so much from the book that would have made it more interesting), but yeah, by cutting out the Hogwarts battle at the end of HBP, they did completely devalue the importance of Neville, Luna, and Ginny's effort to continue the DA and fight.

I think they just are afraid to make the movies TOO complicated and all over the place with all these characters, because there's just not time for as much depth as the books contain.  I think you have to appreciate the movies for the special effects and seeing the wizarding world and the basic storyline played out on screen... but if you want the emotional depth and complexity of the actual story, you gotta read the books.

As for Neville, I will say this - at least they have given Neville some pretty cute parts in the movies.  He's mainly been comic relief, but I'm sure they will give him his key moments in the seventh movie.  And they did give him a lot of time in the DA scenes in the 5th movie, which is basically the beginning of his transformation as a character, so I'm sure they'll do him justice in the end.  I think JK Rowling will make sure they do.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »

It's funny because I have heard from a lot of people who read the books that Neville is a really important character but he seems like a background guy in the movies.

He becomes important over the course of the series.  He has several key parts in the last book.  He's a perfect example of a really dynamic character, who totally does a 180 from the first book to the last.
~Julie

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »

He becomes important over the course of the series.  He has several key parts in the last book.  He's a perfect example of a really dynamic character, who totally does a 180 from the first book to the last.

Did they ever mention in the Order of the Pheonix movie that Neville was the one other possibility for the prophecy?  I can't remember but I felt like that was something they left out.  He really does play quite an important role in the last book though... I hope they include that!
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »

Did they ever mention in the Order of the Pheonix movie that Neville was the one other possibility for the prophecy?  I can't remember but I felt like that was something they left out.  He really does play quite an important role in the last book though... I hope they include that!

I don't think so...

Something that has always bugged me that they left out (from the third movie) is that Lupin, Pettigrew, Sirius, and James were Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, and WHY.  They never explain how they all became animagi and that James was a stag, which is why it's so touching that Harry's Patronus is a stag, nor that they were the creators of the Marauders Map.  The map thing I guess you can infer, since Lupin knows what it is and how to work it, but still.  I love the Marauders, and my favorite part of the third book is when you get that whole back story, so I was sad they cut a lot of those details out.  Despite that, I think PoA is one of the best movies, along with HBP.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:33:46 PM »

I enjoyed the movie. I thought they did a good job getting enough of the information passed along that anyone who is ONLY watching the movies can follow.  I can see how Tonks and Lupin would feel random though, more Tonks than Lupin though.  I thought they did a better job with this movie then Order of the Phoenix.. that movie at times reminded me of those old silent movies where cops are chasing the bad guys around and they are running in and out of doors ...

They never have it all, nor all of it right in the movies and if you look at it only from movie perspective and not from the book perspective (hard to do but forget there's a book) then it was a good movie.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-