Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: thoughts and ramblings about your ideas etc...  (Read 21754 times)

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
Re: thoughts and ramblings about your ideas etc...
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »

Woot! I just finished off a chapter of Ice Cold Blood! And I think it's the longest one till now!
The only thing I had to do was reading back my fanfic till the part I stopped, and then the ideas continued to flow!

The only thing is... it's 3 am. :D But it's been a long time since I wrote without having trouble continueing the chapter. I actually enjoyed it and no headaches or frustration involved! Yay!  ;D

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »

Yay! That's excellent! Congrats!! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »

I've been sitting on an idea for a long time about fertility issues...and lots of drama/relationship breakdown surrounding it...

I am also going back and forth on what to do about Casual.  According to my original plan, I have a lot more to go, but even I am getting sick of the Nick and Quinn drama.  I am considering taking out a big hunk that was going to be kind of important to then ending, but I think I have a shorter way to get there. 

I need to start something new, but I have trouble working on two things at the same time because I really try to get in my character's head and I will be mixed up if I am dealing with more than one at the same time...two in the same story is tough enough as it is!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »

aw that is tough. I'm not big on multi-tasking either when it comes to writing. I like your fertility idea.

I would say as far as Casual, if you're sick of the characters and know how to get to the end quicker, I say do it. I'm sure your readers would prefer an ending then to be left hanging. :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2010, 07:27:03 PM »

I think if you can shorten Casual without sacrificing your plot, go for it!  Sometimes too many subplots, too much drama, or too drawn out of a plot hurts the story rather than helps it - but you also don't want to rush the ending on something you've put this much time into.  I've been on both sides of that LOL.  If you can write the ending the story deserves, but take a shortcut to get there that will still do the story justice, then do it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »

I'm with you, Julie and Mare.  Thanks for the feedback.  I have been taking little things out here and there...but it seems like a lot has been added too.  I have this whole section that I think is pretty unnecessary that can go.  And actually, I think where I am now could get me to the same ending but it just needs to be reworked. 

I do love to write, and I think starting something new may reignite my passion.  Do all writers feel this way at the end of a long, overdramatic story?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »

I can definitely relate from when I was writing By My Side LOL.  It has too many subplots, too much drama, and it is SO long.  I felt really accomplished when I finally did finish it the way I'd always planned to, but after that, I had a hard time getting back into another story.  If it wasn't for my collaborations and the few short stories I wrote, I wouldn't have been writing at all.  It took me like 10 months to start another novel that was worthy of posting, and even then, I hardly updated it.  Really, I didn't have another story of my own that I updated regularly until this summer - took me 2 1/2 years!  I was writing for Song for the Undead and 00Carter that whole time, but there's something special about having a novel in that works that is all your own.

I hope you're able to finish Casual and be proud of it, and then yes... start something new and different! :)
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »

Yes, coming from one who is so close to finishing a story i've been working on forever that is full of plot twists, too much drama and is very overdramatic. It kind of sucks the life out of you. I am working onthe very last chapter now and it feels wonderful lol I thought i'd be sad but it's more of a relief than anything else. I'm sure i'll miss the characters but yeah, I would think that if I wasn't already working on a brand new story, I could easily see myself taking another long break lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 08:31:30 AM »

It just makes me remember how I began the idea for Figured You Out like 6 years ago after I took a fanfic writing hiatus. I had been on FF.net for a long time and once they removed all BSB stuff, I had lost everything. Incomplete was my first story I posted here I believe. As for Figured You Out, the idea was floating in my head for years when all of a sudden it screamed to be posted. I usually dabble in ROM COM or AU...so it was a HUGE turn for me, I have received a great response so far and I have been inspired to write new things! Just goes to show that digging through old files on my computer helped a lot!

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 09:11:12 AM »

I do love to write, and I think starting something new may reignite my passion.  Do all writers feel this way at the end of a long, overdramatic story?

I'm completely overwhelmed with Life According to Baylee (and by association, Life After The Unexpected, too) because of the emotion and drama. Thus the reason my updates are SOOO far between. I have such a hard time motivating myself to write...I keep thinking "I really wanna write...eh, never mind, I don't wanna deal with it." and end up doing something else. So I totally understand where you're coming from with Casual.

Finally I decided to counteract my frustration with LATB by starting a new story. Visions of Love is a polar opposite of LATB. It's all comedy...even the little bits of drama that are thrown in, make me laugh, because I've put a very light mood to the story, in hopes that I will be able to get more for LATB done, just because I have VoL to counteract the drama. Does that make sense? VoL is like my stress release, I guess. It's going to be another novel, but not nearly as intense as LATB, so I'm actually pretty excited about it....I am even *gasp* outlining!  ???

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »

I like having stories of different genres going on at the same time, so you can write whatever you feel like.  It's nice to have a back-up story (or two or three LOL).
~Julie

yorkielover88

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »

I like having stories of different genres going on at the same time, so you can write whatever you feel like.  It's nice to have a back-up story (or two or three LOL).

Totally! I have... *pauses to count* 5+ stories I'm working on. Not to mention my unfinished one that I'm stuck on!

myconfession

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »

I've been sitting on an idea for a long time about fertility issues...and lots of drama/relationship breakdown surrounding it...

I am also going back and forth on what to do about Casual.  According to my original plan, I have a lot more to go, but even I am getting sick of the Nick and Quinn drama.  I am considering taking out a big hunk that was going to be kind of important to then ending, but I think I have a shorter way to get there. 

I need to start something new, but I have trouble working on two things at the same time because I really try to get in my character's head and I will be mixed up if I am dealing with more than one at the same time...two in the same story is tough enough as it is!

I wrote about fertility issues in my Nick/Tara "I Wanna Be Bad" sequel story. It was a lot different to write about.

I'm the same way with writing about more than one thing at a time. I don't have a great attention span so when I'm writing on one story, I like to stay in it, in the characters' heads.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »

I've got  22ish ideas to start!The thing is I'm working on two stories already but I have no idea where to go on them.Don't want to wait on my new thoughts cause my mind is racing with new ideas.Should I wait and not try to start anymore?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »

I would say you should write your thoughts down while they're still in your head. Sometimes once it's written down it's easy to tell if they are worth going forward with. I would say if you try to write and a chapter comes out easily, you should go with it. You know how you are though, so if you don't think it'll be something you'd continue. I wouldn't post it until you are sure you are going to keep going on it.

I know I have a new one. I have the first chapter all done but am struggling with the second chapter which is what's keeping me from posting it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4