Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 25866 times)

yorkielover88

Reviews
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »

I was thinking it would be cool to have an option for people who do not have an account to review! Like as a guest!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Reviews
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:59:11 PM »

We did have that option but had to take it away because of a bunch of stupid people. It's a lot easier to be mean when you don't have to attach your name to a review and some people were being very mean. It's always a few idiots that have to ruin it for the masses, sadly.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »

Yeah, and there's no reason not to sign up for an account.  It's free, it's quick, it's easy, and you can stay logged in permanently, so you don't have to log in every time you go to the site.  If you enjoy reading stories on the site, there's absolutely no reason not to sign up for an account to leave reviews.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »

Ugh, I know! It only takes a minute if even to sign up. The other thing that was happening was people were actually using fake screen names and reviewing their own stuff just to get their review counts up. Who does that? LMAO I mean what purpose does it serve to review your own stuff if you know you are the one that did it? People are weird!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »

LMAO really??  That's... sad.  We all want reviews because it makes us feel good to know other people are reading and enjoying our work, right?  Reviewing your own story anonymously or under a fake name just defeats the purpose, because even if no one else knows, YOU know it was really just you LOL.  And you'd have to go review-crazy to review your own story enough to make it count on the Top 10 lists or something.  Otherwise... fail!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:30:31 PM »

LOL! I know! Some people just don't have any common sense or dignity I guess? So, it was those two reasons combined that the anonymous reviewing went away.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »

I just remember people using it to flame.  That was lame.  If you want to give concrit, go for it, but be polite and have the balls to put your name on it.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »

I know!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 05:52:02 PM »

I just remember people using it to flame.  That was lame.  If you want to give concrit, go for it, but be polite and have the balls to put your name on it.

And that's why we got rid of the star system also. (for those who don't know there used to be a rating system that gave stories stars out of 5) People who wanted authors they didn't like to look bad would give them really low stars over and over again. Lucky for us everything is logged so it was easy to find out that people were doing it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »

Yup, I remember that too! What used to kill me was those same people would go into a story and give it a glowing review and then purposely lower the star count after they left that review. lol People boggle my mind. I'm mind boggled!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »

Yup, I remember that too! What used to kill me was those same people would go into a story and give it a glowing review and then purposely lower the star count after they left that review. lol People boggle my mind. I'm mind boggled!

Jealousy!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 05:58:32 PM »

Seriously! I was kind of shocked when I logged in to check and saw who some of the people were that were doing it. It made me a sad panda lol

Bowlerbabe

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 06:13:19 PM »

I can see both sides. On Yorkie's side I know first hand that some people who are not into fan fictions on the writing side are afraid of making accounts. I mean I'm guilty of that. On the other side I can see where people would say rude things anonymously. As for the star rating... that sounds awesome. If you could see who was doing it why not make it a member only privilege and ban people who do it?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 06:20:38 PM »

I'm not sure why you or anyone else would be afriad of making an account. It's not a scary thing, only if you plan on not following the rules. It really only does take a minute to sign up. Probably less of a hassle to sign up there then on this forum. lol

As far as the star counts go, I think what some people don't realize is as mods we have access to everyone's IP addresses so if we want we can track anyone on this site or the main one at any time if something suspicious is going down or if we think somone might be posing as someone else...

But still Brintessa, that's a lot of work and not worth the effort. The stars ended up hurting more people than helping them and in the end it was voted upon that we get rid of them.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »

There are more reader accounts than writer accounts on AC. Why would someone who isn't into fanfic be reviewing it anyway?

And the star reviews didn't work, people weren't honest when they used them. It also allowed for authors to star themselves, which as I'm sure you can guess, most people gave themselves five stars. Again we come back to people reviewing themselves. We can see everything that happens on the site and on the board, but we don't want to have reasons to ban people. We would rather take away the temptations to keep the peace.
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: [1] 2 3