Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Hunger Games series  (Read 5253 times)

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
The Hunger Games series
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:49:16 AM »

After I've recommended this in the "recommend a great book thread", I thought I'd open a topic about it. :)

So, who has read the first and second book? If I'm correct, the third, and last, book will be out in November.

I ordered the Dutch translation of the first book and finished reading it in a few short days. I am absolutely hooked. ;D Can't wait till I can order the second book. Once the third book releases in Dutch, I will buy it asap. :)

Share your opinions about the series here. But no spoilers! If you really want to tell something that happened in one of the books, put something like "WARNING: SPOILER FIRST BOOK" above your message so other people that haven't read it yet, won't be disappointed in knowing stuff before they have even read it.

If you have read one or more books of the series, what do you think about the fact they will make movies about these series? I think the books will still be better, that's the case most of the time. But I'm still very curious and I will definitely watch it once it's in theatres. ;D

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
Re: The Hunger Games series
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »

??? I swear there were a few replies in this topic yesterday, or am I just imagining things? LOL
Or maybe it's my laptop, or does it has something to do with the server move?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »

Yeah, there were replies in here but I think due to the server move a lot of stuff vanished!

I'm looking forward to reading the book as it sounds like it will be good.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:17:45 PM »

When the site switched we lost a lot of posts on the forum for some reason lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
  • The drumbeat is the sound my heart makes.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:38:38 PM »

Okay, so I just finished the series and while the plot and storyline were interesting and original, I did have a few problems with it.  The first person narration was hard for me to follow because it's first person, present tense.  And while I do believe it can be done well, and in this case, it was, for some reason, it just bothers me.  I also felt like the main character wasn't that likable.
"My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:18:49 AM »

I'm halfway through The Hunger Games at the moment and really enjoying it.  It reminds me a bit of that Arnie film 'The Running Man' :)

kaybee988

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:01:14 AM »

I love this whole series! Mockingjay was a bit disappointing just in the whole flow of the book and some moments i thought passed too quickly while I thought some were dragged out forever.
The first book is definitely my favorite and I was so glad to find a book series right after I finished rereading Harry Potter for the umpteenth time :lol:
I'm so excited for the movie too!

All you people, can't you see, can't you see...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »

I finally finished Mockingjay and I have to say I think that book is a great example of when a good story needs to stop while they are ahead. It isn't necessary to turn everything into a series. If she had just written Hunger Games and left it there, I would have walked away with a sense of awe about how imaginative and creative that entire world she created was. I see the need for the second book I guess because she left things on a mean cliffy even though I LOVE when books do that without a resolution, and even that second book didn't really detract from the beauty of the first one but then came this one...

By the time it was over all the awe I felt about the first one was completely gone and I actually felt myself saying "This is dumb!" Which made me sad because I LOVED the first and even second book.

This one was incredibly unbelieveable and over the top. Granted the entire series is like that, but at least with the first two books I was able to kind of visualize a lot of what was happening. This one I found myself having to reread paragraphs to get what the heck was supposed to be going on. I also found myself knowing that she wrote this because of the money. You could kind of tell there was no passion in this third book.

Having said all that, I would still highly recommend at least the first two books of this series. What a disturbing little world!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:13:02 AM »

I'm currently reading the second book and really enjoying it so far.  I like sequels as long as they are well done and don't just drag on unecessarily, so I hope I'll like the second and third books as much as the first.  I hope the film does the book justice.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »

I'm picking up the third book from the library today, they ordered for me as they didn't stock it.  After what I've heard, the third book is a bit of a let down, but I still need to read it.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »

I read all 3 over memorial day weekend.  I was hooked. The third book kind of wrapped up stuff too quickly.  It just seemed like .. okay this is over and now here's the end.  I think that was the worst about it.. it was a decent book otherwise. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »

I enjoyed the third book too.  After reviews of it I wasn't sure I'd like it as much, but had to read it because I loved the other two books so much.  Can't wait for the movie!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 06:39:23 AM »

I wasn't a fan of the 3rd one, but I really am looking  forward to the movie!

Which seems funny because I just went on about child and animal cruelty with the whole Water for Elephants thing but do teenagers count? I guess they can be tortured and die all they want!  :D

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »

Lol, same here!  I cry at sad films with kids and animals, but teens fighting to the death...bring it on :D

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »

I think Rue might make me cry :(  I cried when I read it though I knew what was going to freaking happen to her in order for the main character to live!!!

I'm so so about wanting to see the movie.  I want to see what they do with it but at the same time I'm afraid they will ruin the story.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5