Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Most challenging  (Read 18810 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Most challenging
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:35 PM »

Honestly Hannah, I think you've got the worst case of Writing ADD I've ever seen lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »

I miss having a person :( or people I should say. It does make all the difference in the world but what you were saying Hannah also might tell you why you're wriitng. It's sounds like you're writing more for the feedback and less for you. Maybe a good challenge for you would be to write an OF and not post it at all until it's complete.

It's hard as hell to do that but if you do find a person and I think you have Jen as your person? And just share it with her, it might help you out a bit.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:25 PM »

Honestly Hannah, I think you've got the worst case of Writing ADD I've ever seen lol.

LOL I really do. The funny thing is though that I actually DO have storylines and plots and resolutions to everything I've started... and everything will eventually be finished. That's why I stopped posting new stories. I've literally got like 4-5 chapters of a ton of stories that I haven't even posted yet.

But I refuse to post anything new until at least 1/2 the unfinished stuff in my cache is completed.

Course a few of them will never get compeleted (like my collab with Reb...she disappeared off the face of the earth once more *sniff*) but that's not MY fault...lol
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »

I miss having a person :( or people I should say. It does make all the difference in the world but what you were saying Hannah also might tell you why you're wriitng. It's sounds like you're writing more for the feedback and less for you. Maybe a good challenge for you would be to write an OF and not post it at all until it's complete.

It's hard as hell to do that but if you do find a person and I think you have Jen as your person? And just share it with her, it might help you out a bit.

Like I said ^^^ up there ^^^ (in the last post lol) ... I have several stories I've started that I haven't posted. I really like the idea of writing an OF and not posting until it's completed... I probably should do that. I love writing, I'm just terrible at being disciplined because my mind goes wooshing about like the wind with all these story ideas. Partially I blame that on my reading habits. I tend to read 3-4 books at a time, too. But I've never had issues keeping storylines straight, which is really odd. It's just a strange switch in my brain that I can't seem to shut off or tame.

I need to work on it ,though. LOL

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »

LOL I really do. The funny thing is though that I actually DO have storylines and plots and resolutions to everything I've started... and everything will eventually be finished. That's why I stopped posting new stories. I've literally got like 4-5 chapters of a ton of stories that I haven't even posted yet.

But I refuse to post anything new until at least 1/2 the unfinished stuff in my cache is completed.

Course a few of them will never get compeleted (like my collab with Reb...she disappeared off the face of the earth once more *sniff*) but that's not MY fault...lol

Been there... collaborations can be awesome (or ya know, Zombie Double Rainbow All The Way hehe), and sometimes...th ey suck just because your partner goes *POOF!*

I think you guys suffered the Best Collab curse instead of me and Julie lol. Every winner of that, the story is never updated again. We haven't suffered that, but you two were runner-up so it must've hit you instead LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »

LOL... I gave up on ever seeing an update on that collab LONG before we were even nominated for that.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »

I'm way too ADD to finish something that I can't share with AC readers.

I think I'm that way too, when it comes to OF.  Not that I've really tried much, but I don't have much motivation to really give it a shot when I'm perfectly happy writing fanfic and knowing that I'll get a reaction when I post it.  There's some comfort in having that already-established reader base.

But there is an OF section on AC, so you could always post your stuff there while it's in-progress and then remove it later when/if you start trying to get it published.  Unless you're worried about the Tanjas of the world stealing your ideas or something.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

I think I'm that way too, when it comes to OF.  Not that I've really tried much, but I don't have much motivation to really give it a shot when I'm perfectly happy writing fanfic and knowing that I'll get a reaction when I post it.  There's some comfort in having that already-established reader base.

But there is an OF section on AC, so you could always post your stuff there while it's in-progress and then remove it later when/if you start trying to get it published.  Unless you're worried about the Tanjas of the world stealing your ideas or something.

Sidetracking, but I think this is the longest we've gone without catching Tanja plagiarizing again.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »

It has been a long time!  It just makes me wonder what new fandom/website she's discovered that we haven't yet. ;)  Cause you know she's out there doing it again somewhere...
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »

My best friend approves everything before I post it since I can't post from my blackberry. I can post chapters but not a new story. So if she likes something I go with it.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:56 AM »

Aww I miss having people I can bounce ideas off of! If I am ever feeling unsure about a chapter or have a new story idea I just talk to my boyfriend about it. And I'm pretty sure he just says it's fine because he doesn't want to talk about BSB fanfic lol.

I had the same problem with OF too. I even have 2/3 of a rough draft done from Nano but I've never completed it because I don't know what I'd do with it when it's done. I think I'd be more scared to recieve feedback on that since it's all my own original characters and completely original situations.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »

On a side note to this. I think a lot of wanting that instant feedback has to do with if you have someone reading your stuff or not.

I have noticed ever since I have gone personless (Lurks was my first story without Mersey and Maria reading it before I posted it) feedback from the site was much more important to me. At first I couldn't figure out why until it dawned on me that before, I was spoiled. By sharing your stuff with someone prior to posting you've already gotten some feedback so confidence is already built. Once I figured that out, I calmed down a bit with the disappointment I had initially felt. lol

That's why writing something OF and not posting it is so hard. Everyone wants words of encouragement and it's hard when you go into something blind. I think that's why I write a lot slower when it's not fanfic. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »

Hannah, Reb popped in on TDS not too long ago and we reminded her of Last Christmas. She said she hasn't forgotten about writting and that she has a lot of catching up to do...reading as well! I'm gonna try to get her back :)
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2011, 09:05:37 PM »

What I find challenging is a collaboration. Finding someone who wants to write with you.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »

^ Most of my collaborations have been with friends... which, honestly, isn't always the best way to go because I've lost friendships as a result of trying to collaborate with them.  But if both people are on the same page, tend to think alike/agree most of the time, and are equally committed to the project and dependable, it can work out great.  You just have to know your friends as writers before you decide whether or not you would mesh with them on a collaboration.

I've also gotten co-writers by asking, but the only time that I did that was for a story that was already in-progress, Code Blue.  Basically, my original co-writer bailed on me, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to continue the story all by myself, so I asked for interested co-writers and ended up recruiting like six other people to help me, and that became my first big collab project like that.  Some of them I knew as readers or fellow writers, but I didn't know most of them very well, so it was a risk, but it paid off for awhile; it was fun while everyone was into it.  That's actually how I first got to know Rose.

Rose recruited writers for 00Carter by asking here, but I think the reason we got so many was because there was already an idea, so people kind of knew what they were getting into when they signed up.  I think it helps if you have an idea to propose, and then people can decide if they're interested in being part of it or not.

There are writers who post threads here from time to time asking for co-writers, but I don't know that they get much of a response...  It's kind of a gamble.  I'll be honest; I would never agree to collaborate with someone unless I knew them well as a friend or writer, or I knew they had an idea that I was interested in writing.
~Julie

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7