Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: FS for March: Life by colorguard_diva  (Read 3418 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for March: Life by colorguard_diva
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »

Hey all and welcome to March. I can't believe that this is the 50th story we have featured since the forum has been running!

The lucky story to be our 50th is Life by colorguard_div a.

I hope you join us while we read this story together this month. Feel free to chime in with questions and comments for Rachel.

Let's start off by reading chapters 1 - 9 this week.

Here is the link to the story:

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10143

I'm going to start with some basic questions for you Rachel!

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) What made you decide on the name of Ashton for the female lead? 

5) Why did you decide to make her Kevin's sister?

6) What made you chose Nick to be the male lead?

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

10) How easy or hard was it to make Nick a daddy?

Thanks a lot and as always Happy reading!! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
Re: FS for March: Life by colorguard_diva
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »

1)   Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

Something later in the story shows why Ashton pushed Nick away. I never thought that would happen. I was going to go a completely different way, but the idea wouldn’t leave me head.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

It took me about 15 days to write this story. I was so into writing it that I couldn’t stop.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

Nick cared about his wife, but wasn’t in love with her. Ashton didn’t understand why her husband wanted a divorce. Everything in their life seemed perfect. They had two wonderful kids, careers they loved, and a beautiful home.  Why couldn’t he see what she did? When did their life together change? From the outside looking in they were the perfect couple. Ashton was will to work on their marriage, but would Nick be willing to do the same?

4) What made you decide on the name of Ashton for the female lead? 

I heard the name and loved it. It’s normally a guy’s name, but I tend to give my female characters male names. Ashton is a strong character in my story and I thought that was a strong name for a female Richardson.

5) Why did you decide to make her Kevin's sister?

I knew that making Ashton Kevin’s sister would add a dynamic to the separation situation. Kevin loves his sister, but he also loves Nick like a brother. I wanted a strong female lead that had a strong family bond and would be close to Nick. 

6) What made you chose Nick to be the male lead?

I think that in some respects Nick is easier to write than the other guys. His personality is out in the open more. He shows more character traits and is multilayered. He can be funny at one moment and angry in the next.  For this story line, I think Nick was the perfect choice as the male lead. I wanted those dynamics between family and friends to mesh into one. He married into the Richardson family, where Kevin is one of his best friends.  I think in some respects Nick is in a tough place. He can only say so much to Kevin without over-sharing his personal life. It works the same with Brian. He can only share so much before they go off on him.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

It’s a tie between Nick and Ashton. There characters go hand in hand from my view point. They are both interconnected that I can ‘t see one without the other.  When they communicate they are so good for each other, and when they don’t everything falls apart. They are like the yin and yang of each other.

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

My least favorite character is Marla. She is annoying and always trying to get in Ashton personal life. She just reminds me of a backstabber.

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Even though Nick is the main guy in the story, all of them are in the story. Kevin has a decent bit of time in the story. Brian, Howie, and AJ make a few appearances. I try to put all of the guys in each story I write because they are part of the same group and they would be in each other’s life at some point in time.

10) How easy or hard was it to make Nick a daddy?

For me making Nick a dad was easy. I think he would make a great daddy. He is fun and would spend time playing with his kids. In this story it was hard because he had some issues to work on with his son.  Nick didn’t always get to be the fun dad.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:38:11 AM »

Sorry I'm late! You should now be into chapters 10-16! How is everyone enjoying the story? Summaries for the next couple of chapters courtesy of Rachel! :)

Chapter 10: Ashton wakes up early and sits outside talking to her sister-in-law Nia (Kevin’s wife). They discuss the Richardson brothers visit to Nick. Ashton feels bad for Nick because of her brothers. Nia says Nick deserved it. They talk about Kevin’s reaction to the situation. He is calm and not taking sides because Ashton is his sister and Nick is like a brother. Ashton asks Nia how Kevin and her make their marriage work. Nia tells her that they work things out and communicate. They also go on dates and make time for each other. Ashton realizes her marriage wasn’t as peachy as she thought, and that she is partially to blame. All her and Nick talk about is kids or want and they never make time for one another. She runs into the house and cries about her situation with Nick. That afternoon all the Richardson clan is relaxing outside. The kids are swimming. The men are going to grill. Everyone is enjoying themselves. Nick walks into the yard in a bad mood at seeing everyone enjoying themselves. Ashton asks him why he is there. He replies it’s my house. She tells him until he decided to leave. Nick tells her that he still pays the mortgage. They argue. Nick pulls her into the house by her wrist. Ashton asks Nick what is so important that you had to pull me away from my family. He pulls her in for a kiss. She responds, but quickly breaks the kiss. She tells him that it isn’t fair that he waltzes back in and kisses her when he doesn’t love her anymore. Ashton tells him to leave her alone. He tells her that he won’t bother her again and calls her a bitch. Then he asks to see the kids the next day.

Chapter 11: The kids are eating breaking while waiting for Nick to pick them up for the day. Nick comes in and Ashton leaves the room. Nick watches his wife and thinks about how he misses touching her.  Kevin comes in and shoos the kids out so he can have a chat with Nick. Kevin tells Nick if he sees him touch his sister the way he did yesterday, he’ll kick Nick’s ass. Nick said he didn’t mean to grab her like that, but mentions her temper. Kevin tells him to either divorce Ashton or work things out. It’s not fair to keep messing with her heart. Nick tells Kevin that he never expected this to happen and he’s hurting just as much. Kevin tells Nick to stop being selfish and work on his marriage. Then he walks out. At Nick’s house, Rachel is playing with dolls. She asks her daddy to play with her. Nick plays dolls with his daughter. Jackson  plays video games. Meanwhile Ashton goes shopping with the women. She tries on a green sundress that everyone thinks will get Nick back. Ashton says she doesn’t care about pleasing Nick anymore. She isn’t going to play his game anymore.

Chapter 12: Ashton is hosting a barbecue at her house. All of the Backstreet Boys are invited, except Nick of course. Brian has a chat with her about Nick. She tries to convince him the she is fine and wishes everyone would stop hovering. Brian tries to tell her that Nick is hurting, too. Ashton doesn’t want to hear it. The barbecue is in full swing. The kids are playing, the men are hanging out, and the women were gossiping.  Howie asks where Nick is. He doesn’t know about the separation. They talk about what an ass Nick is. AJ tells them that he is going to ask his girlfriend Arizona to marry him. They are all happy for him. Brian gets a phone call from Nick. Nick is not happy and is on his way over to the house. Ashton meets Nick in the front yard. She asks him what brings him to visit. He is mad because she is having a cookout with all of his friends. She reminds him that they are her friends, too and that she didn’t know she had to tell him what she did. He said that he is still her husband. She tells him he lost that right when he left her. He talks about how much she has changed. Ashton tells him that she changed when he fell out of love with her. She smacks him across the face when he says she has a split personality. They continue to fight until she tells him to leave. Nick tells her this isn’t over and not to ever hit him again. He gets into his car speeds out of the driveway hitting into the mailbox.

Chapter 13: Ashton meets Nick at his condo to talk about things. They both sit in the living room not saying a word to one another. She apologizes for hitting him. He tells her that he couldn’t believe that she would do such a thing. Ashton explains that she is angry with the situation and how the last few months have been hell.  Nick gets upset because he thinks Ashton is blaming him for everything. He asks her, what if love isn’t enough. He tells her that he felt differently the after they made love the night of her friend’s wedding. He cared about Ashton, but wasn’t in love with her. Ashton thinks that the whole thing has to do with sex, but Nick disagrees. Nick tells her it has nothing to do with sex, but he can’t pinpoint what changed between the two of them. At that point in time nothing was about the two of them. Nick feels confused and walks out of the room. Ashton follows him. She tells him not to walk away when they are talking about their marriage. Nick yells at her and states the he doesn’t love her.  He starts to cry and Ashton states that he is crying because he is lying. He says that he is crying for his kids and what this is doing to them. Nick tells Ashton that they need to end their marriage, and she pleads with him to work it out.  She kisses him and reminds him what he is missing out on. Then she leaves his condo.

Chapter 14: Ashton is spending the day at home. Kevin’s family and her mom are still visiting. Kevin and his wife take the kids to Disney World. She gets the mail and finds an envelope from Nick’s lawyers. Inside were divorce papers. Nick was going to divorce her. Ashton gets upset because Nick doesn’t want to work on their marriage. She sobs and goes upstairs to the master bedroom. She walks into the closet and starts throwing Nick’s clothes all over the room. She was furious and angry. Ashton took Nick’s cologne and dumped it down the sink. Then she took her birth control and threw it out because she wouldn’t need it anymore. During her rampage, her mom came in to see what was wrong. She tells her mom about the divorce. Ann attempts to comfort her. Ashton tells her she doesn’t want her pity. She picks up the glass framed wedding photo and throws it across the room. It shatters into a million pieces. Ann pulls her daughter close to her and lets her cry. A few hours later the phone rings, Ashton makes no attempt to answer it. Ann answers the phone. It’s Nick and she tells him Ashton is in no condition to talk to him. He feels bad for hurting Ashton, but knows he’s making the right decision. Ann lectures Nick about the situation. Nick tells Ann to have Ashton call when she’s ready to talk.

Chapter 15: A few days passed. Nick is worried because he hasn’t heard from Ashton. Nick decides to visit Ashton. When he gets there he doesn’t know whether to knock or walk in. He wasn’t sure what divorced couples did.  Ann lets Nick know that Ashton hasn’t left the bedroom, eaten since he filed for divorce. She was worried because the kids would be coming home from Disney.  Nick runs upstairs to the bedroom feeling like a stranger in his own house.  He was shocked at what he saw. Clothes, make-up, glass, and papers littered the floor. Ashton was the calmest person he knew unless she was mad. Then her temper got the best of her. She was worse than Kevin when he had pms. She had the covers over her head. He attempts to talk to Ashton, but she ignores him. She asks him why he cares now. Nick tells that he doesn’t want her falling apart over the divorce. She gets upset and rips into him about him expecting her to be happy about the situation. He tells her that he expects her to be upset, but that she needs to be mature about it and be able to take care of the kids. Ashton is upset that Nick thinks she won’t be able to take care of the kids. She lets him know she is more than capable of taking care of her children. Nick is frustrated because every time they talk the conversation goes in circles. Ashton buries her head in a pillow. Nick starts cleaning up the destruction left by Ashton’s tirade. This was the worst Nick has ever felt. He goes to the bar to drown his sorrows. An old man talks to Nick. He tells the older man he is getting a divorce. The man tells Nick how he’s been married for 60 years and how he loves his wife. The old man explains that real love isn’t Hallmark Cards and flowers. Real love is dealing with everyday life. It’s the person who knows you better than yourself and loves you anyway. It’s the person who you know has your back in the middle of a crisis. It’s the person who will take care you even when they are sick and don’t want to. Nick thanks the man, realizing he has a lot to think about. The old man tells him to think about why he got married and how his wife took care of him and how they handle the hard situations in life.

Chapter 16: The kids were coming home from Disney. Ashton cleaned the bedroom. She couldn’t believe she had destroyed Nick’s things. She had to get it together for the sake of the kids. The kids come home and tell her about Disney. Jackson asks if his dad has moved back home. Ashton tells him no. She sends the kids upstairs to unpack so she can talk to Kevin.  Kevin lets her know that he knows about the divorce. She talks with Kevin about how she doesn’t know whether to fight Nick or just sign the papers. Kevin asks her what will be the best in the long run. If she fights it, her and Nick may never have a good relationship. If she signs the papers, they may have a good relationship for the sake of their kids. Ashton calls Nick when the kids are in bed. They discuss how to tell the kids about the divorce. They decide to do it together. Nick is worried about Jackson’s reaction. She reassures him that Jackson will always love him, but he will be mad at first and may blame him. Nick gets mad because he is always the one to be blame and Ashton is perfect.  Nick says he doesn’t want to fight and brings up her wrecking the bedroom.  She tells him she couldn’t help that she overreacted about her marriage being over. She was mad because Nick surprised her with the divorce and didn’t even have the decency to tell her that she was going to get the papers. Ashton hangs up on Nick. Nick was in shock. He couldn’t believe she hung up on him. When did Ashton become feisty and fiery? It was kind of hot. What was he thinking? He couldn’t be having those thought about his soon to be ex-wife. Why was his life falling apart? Why did he feel more confused about the whole situation? He needed a cold shower.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »

I am so sorry I haven't been around. I have been in some weird internet limbo. It hasn't been fun! I'll be posting some questions tomorrow or even later tonight if I can manage!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »

Mare, not a problem. I know you've been busy. It's been quiet here. Glad your back.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:20:44 PM »

Thanks! :) I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment from all the catching up. lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »

It's time to read the next set of chapters so let's read chapters 17 - 24 this week.

Here are a few more questions for you Rachel :)

1) Do you have personal experience with divorce? How did you pull the emotion needed to write this set of chapters especially dealing with the kids and their reactions?

2) What is your favorite thing about this set of chapters?

3) Did you ever consider Ashton having an affair with one of the other guys?

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »

1)   Do you have personal experience with divorce? How did you pull the emotion needed to write this set of chapters especially dealing with the kids and their reactions?

I come from a divorced family. My parents were very open and communicated to me and my siblings about the divorce just like Nick and Ashton were with their kids. I was a little older than Nick’s kids in the story. Rachel is a very easy going child and five years old, so I knew she would take it easier.  Jackson is a sensitive child, so I had him react to the divorce with more emotions. While I was writing this my brother was going through a divorce, it was something that was playing in my mind.

2)What is your favorite thing about this set of chapters?

I went back and read those chapters again. I can’t believe how much drama is in this set of chapters.  My favorite thing about these chapters is that so many changes occur in such a short time.  It starts with telling the kids about divorce and ends with them kissing and discussing the letter. It is the turning point of Nick and Ashton’s relationship. If Ashton didn’t get hurt they wouldn’t be willing to work on their relationship. It forced them to do it. Both Nick and Ashton were skirting around the issues. Divorce would be easier than facing the truth.

3)   Did you ever consider Ashton having an affair with one of the other guys?

I didn’t consider her having an affair with one of the other guys while she was married to Nick. When Nick talked to her about dating other people, I almost was going to have her date AJ. It wouldn’t have turned into a relationship because Ashton and AJ are good friends. It would have almost been a source of comfort instead of anything romantic or sexual.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »

Ola! Time to read the next set of chapters. Let's read chapters 25 - 30 this week.

Rachel, what can everyone expect in this next set of chapters?

If you could write another story (Like a spin off) based on one of the characters in this story, who would be the lead and why?

What would you consider to be the biggest plot twist in this story?

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »

Rachel, what can everyone expect in this next set of chapters?
In these chapters, Nick is taking care of Ashton. They are working on their problems. Ashton and Nick are either making love or not getting along. They have so many emotions that it clouds their view of what is the real issue of their marriage problems. She confronts him about sleeping with another woman while they were separated. Towards the end of this set of chapters Ashton is starting to feel sick and ends up going to the doctor. Nick and Ashton decide not to divorce and that it’s time to bring the kids’ home.

If you could write another story (Like a spin off) based on one of the characters in this story, who would be the lead and why?
As soon, as I read this question…AJ came to mind. I haven’t written a story about him yet. I think it would be fun to write a story about his relationship with Arizona. In my mind, their relationship is unique from other couples. Now I might have to start writing that story.

What would you consider to be the biggest plot twist in this story?
This is where everything changes for Nick and Ashton. For most of the story they aren’t getting along. Now, they don’t have a choice. They both have to face their demons and find a way to move on.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »

okay, lets finish up Life by reading chapters 31 - 36

Last few questions for you Rachel :)

Did you always intend to have Ashton become pregnant?

Why did you decide to make Ashton Kevin's little sister?

Do you plan on writing a sequel to this or have you already?

Overall what was your favorite thing about writing this story. Is there a chapter or moment that stands out over any other ones?

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »

Did you always intend to have Ashton become pregnant?
Yes, I planned on Ashton getting pregnant. I didn’t know when it was going to happen exactly. But even though Nick said he didn’t love her anymore he was always wanting to make love to her. It kind made sense in the long run.

Why did you decide to make Ashton Kevin's little sister?
For some reason, I love to write stories about the Backstreet Boys having sisters. A lot of my first fan fiction has stories where they have sisters. I thought would be fun to have Kevin and Nick related by marriage.
Do you plan on writing a sequel to this or have you already?
I am currently writing the sequel to Life. It’s called Story of Our Life It takes place 10 years after Life. Jackson is 17 and Rachel is 15. Nick and Ashton have more kids, including Aiden -9, Logan -3, Lucas -3, Liam 3, and Rory – 6 months. It shows how they deal with all the chaos in their life together and the birth of another child.

Overall what was your favorite thing about writing this story. Is there a chapter or moment that stands out over any other ones?
My favorite part of the story is when Nick is taking care of Ashton after her accident. It is such a turning point in their relationship. They had to get back to the basics of their relationship.