Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: FS for April: Curtain Call  (Read 13304 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for April: Curtain Call
« on: April 01, 2011, 04:27:15 PM »

Hi all and Happy April Fool's Day lol

Julie has been featured a few times already, but since she won Best Author she was given another month and she chose Curtain Call for us to discuss so let's start out by reading chapters 1 - 13 this week. Julie I am not home yet and have my questions for you on my computer so i'll post those either tomorrow or later on tonight.

Feel free to ask Julie questions and comment on the story as you read along!

Happy Reading! :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: FS for April: Curtain Call
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:31:57 PM »

LOL Yeah, it hasn't been that long since I was featured with Rose for Undead, but I'm flattered to be featured again because of the Felix Awards.  So thanks! :)

Back when I found out about this, I was actually thinking Curtain Call might be done by now, and of course it's not LOL.  But it's probably 2/3 of the way there, so there should be enough to discuss for those who want to.

If anyone reads it for the first time this month, I hope you enjoy!  I'd love to know what you think! :)

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »

I think this would be my first time participating in a featured story discussion. But still I love Curtain Call. So Julie, where did you come up with the character of Cary and how did her personality come about? I love how you have written her being a small town girl.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:50:30 PM »

Aw, thanks, Tracy, for the compliment and the question! :)

So when I set out to create Cary, I knew I had to make her different from Claire, who is the female character in my "other cancer story," Broken.  I was already afraid the two stories were going to be compared, so I wanted to be sure to make them as different as possible.  Claire was very outgoing, blunt, funny, low maintenance, so I wanted to make Cary the opposite - quiet, reserved, sweet, and girly.

Cary's a lot more like me in terms of her personality, and as I added in details of her life, I used things that were familiar to me - small town, same state, and her dad was inspired by my own dad.  I tried to make her sort of the "every fan" too, so readers, fellow BSB fans, would be able to relate to her.

Everything else came from thinking up her back story.  Once I knew that her mom died of cancer when she was little, and so she was raised by her dad and her grandparents, I could add in other details that made sense - why she became a nurse, why she has a vintage style, why she likes to take care of people and the household and so on.

So that's basically how she came together.  I'm glad you like the way she's written - thank you! :)
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »

Yay Julie!

No questions yet...but I wanted to be sure to celebrate your epicness in here. Go ZDR!
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »

LOL thanks, ZDR!  Right back at ya - double epic all the way!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »

My favorite thing about this story, is how you write Nick. Which in first person, is no easy task. Yet I feel like you manage to make him very manly lol, and very Nick. I feel like it's what helps elevate the story up another level. I loved Broken (and you know that), but personally I feel Curtain Call is a better story now. :)

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »

Thanks, Rose!  That means a lot, 'cause that is probably the hardest part of writing this story.  I don't write a lot of first person to begin with, but writing Cary's POV is usually pretty easy because she doesn't think much different from the way I do.  Nick, on the other hand, is very different and hard to relate to in every way; I have an easier time writing him from other characters' POVs than actually writing from his, but I wanted to tell his side of the story, so I try my best to get into his head.

I agree with what you said about him being more manly, even if that means he acts like an idiot LOL.  Especially compared to Broken, though; I love Broken Nick, but he was way more of a pussy LOL.  I think that's just the difference in me as a person; I was a melodramatic teenager when I wrote Broken, and I'm not quite like that anymore, so the story and characters aren't so melodramatic either.  Broken will always be my baby, but to me, that's the big factor that would make CC better.  Thanks! :)
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:00:39 PM »

Exactly, the Boys are hard to capture sometimes in 3rd person, let alone first. But I love how you did it. And LOL@Broken Nick being more of a pussy. It's true, but it's okay *pets him* you cut off his leg.

So, tell us one thing about the story that no one knows, or few know? (That you can reveal anyway.)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:01 AM »

I agree with Rose, I do love how you have written Nick in this story....and the other boys as well. I also enjoyed reading how Nick and Cary's relationship developed in the course of the story so far. It seemed to flow very nicely. I never read Broken, so I can't compare notes. I think you have captured Nick's personality quite well in this story!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »

Congrats on being featured this month, Julie! I love Curtain Call, and I love Cary in that story so it's interesting to see how you came up with her character. Was there a particular reason you decided to set this story in the TIU era? Was it just because it was the most recent, or were there other factors?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:50:06 AM »

Hey Julie,

Here are a few questions for you. First of all congrats on the best author win! What went through your mind when you found out you won that?

Onto the story:

Where did you come up with the idea for Curtain Call and how soon after your initial idea did you start to write it?

I know you have mentioned before you aren't comfortable writing in first person, so why did you choose first person for this story?

Did you base Cary off of anyone in particular?

What made you go with cancer again and was it a tough decision considering the popularity of Broken?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:43:24 AM »

Yay Julie, I love Curtain Call.  Will have to think of some questions for you :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »

Exactly, the Boys are hard to capture sometimes in 3rd person, let alone first. But I love how you did it. And LOL@Broken Nick being more of a pussy. It's true, but it's okay *pets him* you cut off his leg.

So, tell us one thing about the story that no one knows, or few know? (That you can reveal anyway.)

LOL yeah, not like he doesn't have an excuse...  :D

Hm... something few know... like that I was going to call it either "On With the Show" or "The Show Must Go On," until you suggested "Curtain Call"? LOL  I was like, "Oh!  Yeah!  That's so much better!"  I had just been listening to that Queen song on repeat for probably hours as I researched and planned.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »

I agree with Rose, I do love how you have written Nick in this story....and the other boys as well. I also enjoyed reading how Nick and Cary's relationship developed in the course of the story so far. It seemed to flow very nicely. I never read Broken, so I can't compare notes. I think you have captured Nick's personality quite well in this story!

Thank you!  I'm glad you like the way Nick and Cary's relationship has developed; I wasn't sure how that was going to go or if they had the right chemistry for it, so I appreciate that! :)
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3 4