Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FS for May: The Great Divide  (Read 6471 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for May: The Great Divide
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »

Hello all and happy May. We are featuring The Great Divide this month since Jen won best new author at this year's Felix Awards. So, as always feel free to jump in with any comments and questions you have about this one as we read along together.

Let's start with chapters 1 - 12

Here is the link to the story: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10326&warning=4

Happy Reading!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: FS for May: The Great Divide
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:33:29 AM »

Congrats Jen! I have had this one sitting in my favourites for a long time waiting to be read :) Now I have the perfect opportunity!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:18:23 AM »

Yay! Congrats Jen. I started reading this and then slacked off so I think I'm going to keep up so that I can conversate with ya'll :) Loved what I read so far though.
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:06:40 PM »

Congrats Jen, I love this story although I still need to finish reading it :)

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »

Thanks all! I look forward to any questions you might have for me. :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 01:47:23 AM »

This story was the first that made me really like Jen's writing. I absolutely loved the idea of Nick going on the weight loss show. How did you come up with the idea and the list of celebrities that were on the show? 

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »

This story was the first that made me really like Jen's writing. I absolutely loved the idea of Nick going on the weight loss show. How did you come up with the idea and the list of celebrities that were on the show? 

Awww thanks :)  I'm a reality TV junkie, so all the celebrities were either off of Flavor of Love or Celebrity Fit Club.  Richard Simmons has just always annoyed the HELL out of me, so he was a given for host. :p

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »

I really liked this story...it was the first I had read by Jen. Congratulation s on be featured!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »

So Jen, what was the inspiration for this story?

What was the writing process for you? did you outline it or just went with the flow?

Did you post it right away or sit on it for awhile before posting?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »

So Jen, what was the inspiration for this story?

What was the writing process for you? did you outline it or just went with the flow?

Did you post it right away or sit on it for awhile before posting?

I pretty much used this story to kinda jumpstart my own weight-loss.  I tend to need a pep talk before I jump into things, so between the story and then forming the Biggest Loser here on the board, I had the elements I needed to get serious about it.  Also, as I mentioned a couple posts back, I love reality TV shows like the Biggest Loser and Celebrity Fit Club. I started this story right around the time I went to Oprah to see the boys, so of course that made its way into the story as well.

I've got to admit, I didn't outline this story. I just decided to go with the flow. Adding Kevin was one of those spur of the moment ideas that I think worked out better than I could have planned it. 

I did get about ten chapters in before posting.  I'm never sure if a story's going to really take off, so four chapters just doesn't do it for me.  I have TONS of four chapter story's sitting in a folder.  Once a story hits ten, I know it's pretty safe to post. :)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 03:32:43 AM »

Congrats Jen!!!

I haven't read this one yet, but it's on my list. I've heard a lot of great things about it. You are an awesome writer!  ;)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 06:56:17 AM »

I loved how you incorporated Oprah into this...and Kevin. How did you decide to include him? And how did you come up with Jake's personality? He is simply precious! I just want to take him home with me lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 07:12:17 AM »

Happy Mother's day to all who are one or have one!

It's time to read the next set of chapters so let's read chapters 13 - 23 this week.

Here are some more questions for you Jen :)

What were Shay's motivations behind keeping her pregnancy a secret?

What made you decide to have Jake meet Nick prior to Shay seeing him again?

Jake has very particular personality traits, is he based on a particular child?

What made Nick accept his responsibiliti es as a parent so easily?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 07:14:51 AM »

Mare I think it's safe to say that we all HAVE mothers in some form or another lol Very appropriate set of chapters to be reading considering it's Mother's Day though!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 07:19:11 AM »

You would think, but some are questionable. lol
Pages: [1] 2