Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FS for May: The Great Divide  (Read 6470 times)

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: FS for May: The Great Divide
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »

I loved how you incorporated Oprah into this...and Kevin. How did you decide to include him? And how did you come up with Jake's personality? He is simply precious! I just want to take him home with me lol

Well, I included Kevin BECAUSE of my Oprah experience. It was pretty epic to be there in person and witness Kevin with the Boys.  The whole thing happened so fast that I was needing to keep the Kev love going on for a little longer.  Of course, if you've read the story you'll see where that love kinda led :rubs neck:  Anyhow...that's also the reason that Shay moved to Chicago. I was having a whole bunch of Chi-town love last fall!

As for Jake...I will address that question in Mare's set of questions! :)

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »

Happy Mother's day to all who are one or have one!

It's time to read the next set of chapters so let's read chapters 13 - 23 this week.

Here are some more questions for you Jen :)

What were Shay's motivations behind keeping her pregnancy a secret?

What made you decide to have Jake meet Nick prior to Shay seeing him again?

Jake has very particular personality traits, is he based on a particular child?

What made Nick accept his responsibiliti es as a parent so easily?

Shay's motivations for keeping her pregnancy a secret were simple - Nick was a one night stand and royally screwed her over (pun kinda intended).  Shay might have a lot of self-esteem problems, but her pregnancy made her step up to the plate. I don't think she wanted to let go of the one p
erson who would love her unconditionall y and share him with a guy who had just taken her heart and stomped on it.

I wanted Nick to meet Jake before he saw Shay because it really showed the dynamic between father and son.  Both of them are energetic goons and you can see just how easily Nick clicks with his own son even before he's AWARE that Jake's his son.  I also thought it made for a GREAT ending to the chapter when Shay rounds the corner and there's that moment of - 'Oh My God, could it be??'

Jake's personality is based on this one little boy I've had in my preschool storytime for the last two years.  He's blonde, obsessed with dinosaurs (and talking), and just about the cutest little booger you've ever seen.  I wanted Jake to have an outgoing personality to contrast with his mom's insecure personality.  He really is the driving force - and he makes for some of the best comedic moments in the story. :)

Because Nick can be so childlike I just know he's going to be a good parent if and when it happens.  I think if he was presented with that type of situation IRL, he does have the maturity now to step up to the plate.  Besides, the way I've depicted Jake makes it hard NOT to love him (at least in my biased opinion...) 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 05:12:29 AM »

I've just finished reading it (there were about 6 chapters I'd not read) and I loved it.  I like it when a story works out happy in the end :)

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »

I've just finished reading it (there were about 6 chapters I'd not read) and I loved it.  I like it when a story works out happy in the end :)

Glad you enjoyed it! It actually ALMOST didn't end that way, lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »

It's time to start reading the next set of chapters. Let's read chapters 24 - 46 this week.

Jen, can you explain how you developed Shay's relationship with Kevin and the process of developing Lauren and Nick's relationship. How much of Nick's real life and experience did you use for their relationship?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »

It's time to start reading the next set of chapters. Let's read chapters 24 - 46 this week.

Jen, can you explain how you developed Shay's relationship with Kevin and the process of developing Lauren and Nick's relationship. How much of Nick's real life and experience did you use for their relationship?

At first, I wasn't going to make the guy Kevin, but somehow my description fit him to a T and I thought 'well, that would be an interesting twist.'  I think sometimes the best ideas are the random ones.  The end result of making Kevin an asshole also wasn't planned. Inititally I was going to have him end up marrying Shay, but the more I wrote, the more I realized that I wanted people to hate him instead. :)

As for Nicky, I love to use bits and pieces of Nick's real life in my stories. Even if it's just a random piece of Twitter-fact that I stick in.  I won't deny that I love Nick and Lauren together so making them a couple in stories is extremely easy for me.  I actually had a harder time towards the end because of the direction the story went.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »

okay guys time to start reading the last set of chapters so let's do 47 - 60 by the end of the month!

Happy Reading!!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »

Just wanted to pop in and say 'thanks!' for voting me Best New Author.  It was fun discussing Great Divide this month. :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »

Loved The Great Divide, Jen! I liked how you empowered Shay towards the end and had her stealing Nick away...it was awesome! 
Pages: 1 [2]