Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: When reading...  (Read 9658 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: When reading...
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »

^ That's a huge turnoff to me too.

As far as chapter length goes, that's never been an issue with me, except for the extremes - chapters that are only 100 words long and chapters that are, like, 10,000+ words.  100 words is hardly enough to contain anything with substance, and 10,000 is a little excessive, though I probably have written a few chapters that long... usually mine end up being more in the 2,000-5,000 range, I think.

Word count isn't something I pay attention to as I'm writing, though; I go more by pages and natural scene breaks.  I would never end a chapter just because it went past 3,000 words, and I would never not read a story just because its chapters were longer than that, either.

In published fiction, 3,000 words equals roughly 12 pages, which doesn't seem like that long of a chapter.  It depends on the author, but a lot of the books I read have chapters of 20 pages or more.  But just as I don't count pages in a chapter before I decide whether or not to read a book, I don't even look at word count when I decide whether or not to read or continue a fanfic.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 05:32:14 AM »

I think if I was able to hold the story in my hands like I do a book, the word count wouldn't bother me. It's a comfort thing. I hate sitting at the computer and reading off of a screen. That's why i'd never buy one of those Kindle things. I am one of those old fashioned folks that like the feel of turning a page. LOL

I also always check to see how many pages a chapter is before I start reading the chapter. If it's long it doesn't make a difference but for some reason I still need to know lmao maybe it's an OCD thing.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »

Erika, I also hate plugging my stories, I feel embarrassed, lol

I don't mind reading on my laptop/work computer/iphone but must admit that I do love real books.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 10:46:51 AM »

Oh, I forgot to comment on the plugging stories thing. I don't really do that very often either and I don't enjoy it at all. I actually wish I was better at that especially when it came to the book lol

I don't see a problem with mentioning it when you first start writing and want people to know but when it seems like all you do is talk about or plug your own story, the less I would ever want to read it. It reeks of desperation if you do it all the time but like I said, when it's first posted or very occasionally it's all good. (for me anyway lol)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »

I know I said word count bothers me but it's only when reading on a computer.  I don't care about word count or pages in a book.  I think it bothers me on the computer because of the glare and there are SOOOO many other things that distract me on the computer.  I don't have an issue with the Kindle like I thought I would, to me it still closer to reading a book than reading on the computer.

I've only plugged one of my stories and I'm sure it comes off as appearing desparate for people to read but I really just love the story that much that I feel like sharing and talking about it.   If I annoy you I'm sorry, I don't expect anyone to read it from my tweets, I save that expectation for next month ;)   I jest.    ;D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »

I do understand about the computer; I used to be able to sit and read fanfics off a desktop for hours, but I can't stand to do that anymore.  I use my netbook when I'm reading more than a few chapters at a time because at least I can take that to my bed or the couch and be comfortable.  I don't have a Kindle and will never buy one for myself; I love actual books.

As for plugging stories, I agree with what's been said - it's fine to plug when you first start a new story and then announce when you update, but when it gets to be excessive, it does come across as needy and is a turn off.  It's different when you're a published author trying to earn money or even make a living by selling your books, but since we're not trying to make any money off this, it just seems like an attention-seeking thing.  Everyone wants readers, but it should be the quality of your work and the frequency of your updates that attracts them, not the intensity of your begging.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »

One thing I like about the Kindle app is that I can download a sample of the book to see whether I like it first.  I wouldn't buy a Kindle though, I just use the app on my phone when I'm not at home.  I like real books and have a stack of them on my bedside drawers ready to read :)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 02:11:29 PM »

Hubby got me the kindle because he was sick of the house exploding with books. LOL.  I actually like it when traveling, I have a score of books and not an entire suitcase for them alone. :)

I still love the feel of books but with so many bookstores closing I don't have one near to buy anymore or browse for new books.  When I browse I browse on Amazon, I download the free chapters to my kindle to read so I might as well just get it on the Kindle.  There are still a few books I have to get because they aren't available on the Kindle and a few that I want to own to own.  I was against the Kindle at first but it has its good points.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »

Yeah, the Kindle app is very handy when travelling :)

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »

A story looks interesting to you...

1. You click on it and notice the word count. (In example: every chapter is more than 3000 or less than 1000 words.) Does that stop you from even starting to read?

No, I don't think its particularly about word count. What I look for is description in stories and as long as its something, could be a person or setting has somewhat of a description, then its interesting enough.

If you are already reading a story...

2. You leave a review for each chapter that you read, but never get a response from the author. (I don't mean when the author takes a bit to answer; I'm guilty of that.) Does that make you stop reading?

No, I mean I know just like if it was switched around and they left a review, I'd still notice it. I actually personally thank them via email sometimes or just offer a short little response. If I like something a lot I definitely read and review. Sometimes the author has a life from the site (as do I and others) and can't be around to check reviews on the archive but I've noticed on the few reviews I've left for people, there hasn't been a response; which is fine. A lot of times I'll stop reading only because the author stopped updating. And I don't believe in posting up reviews for someone to update. Seems a bit annoying. When they can, they will. Its something that can't be rushed.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »

Unless it's the extreme of 100 words or 10,000 words in every single chapter, I ignore word counts. If a story captures my interest, it captures it. As for responding to reviews, unless they ignore every single one and never reply...well, it makes me review less. Maybe not stop reading, or even stop reviewing, but I won't review every chapter or even every other chapter anymore. Cause what's the point? It doesn't take long to reply.

Oh, I forgot to comment on the plugging stories thing. I don't really do that very often either and I don't enjoy it at all. I actually wish I was better at that especially when it came to the book lol

I don't see a problem with mentioning it when you first start writing and want people to know but when it seems like all you do is talk about or plug your own story, the less I would ever want to read it. It reeks of desperation if you do it all the time but like I said, when it's first posted or very occasionally it's all good. (for me anyway lol)

OMG YES.

When people plug their story that desperately, it makes me not want to read it at ALL. It annoys me that freaking much. Even if it's something I'd normally click on. It's just pure desperation, and it's pathetic, or comes off that way. A few plugs when you first start, and then update announcements, that's understandable . Anything more than that? It's needy.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »

I don't mind when someone plugs their story but it gets annoying when that's all they talk about...but if they are talking with readers about it it is ok to me. Just some people go overboard with it. As for responding to reviews, I won't stop reading if I don't get a response, but if I see someone begging for reviews constantly (once in a while asking for feedback is fine) I will just not read anymore. Begging for reviews and threatening for feedback is desperate.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »

Yes, when all people talk about is their fanfics it's annoying. Luckily I don't follow people who do that, for the most part. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »

I think there's a difference between plugging and discussing it with readers who initiate the discussion first, too.  I don't mind when people tweet about their fanfics, as long as it's not all the time and not with the attitude of "Go read this!  Why aren't you reading this?  Why aren't I getting reviews?  Have you read my story?  Why not?  Please?" LOL
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »

I think there's a difference between plugging and discussing it with readers who initiate the discussion first, too.  I don't mind when people tweet about their fanfics, as long as it's not all the time and not with the attitude of "Go read this!  Why aren't you reading this?  Why aren't I getting reviews?  Have you read my story?  Why not?  Please?" LOL

Agreed, there totally is, if people tweet you about it, that's different. Or if you just announce updates.

Stuff like this, for example...

I love my story, have you read my story?

And then a few minutes later...

Look how many reviews my story has! You should read it too!

And then another few minutes...

I love my story so much! I bet you would love it too if you read it!  You should! hehe

And a few more...

Did you know I updated *insert name here*? Why haven't you reviewed?

And another minute goes by...

Just letting you know I updated...why haven't you read yet *insert name here* ?

THAT is annoying. That is what we mean by total douchey shamelessness lol. I sometimes wonder if people who do that realize just how they come off and just how much they turn people off from reading. And that maybe that's why they don't have as many reviews.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4