Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: AC POSTING GUIDELINES (site not forum)  (Read 52221 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: AC POSTING GUIDELINES (site not forum)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 04:37:42 AM »

I personally wouldn't say that the summary rule came out of the blue. It has been an issue for a long time around here, and I believe even a matter of debate in the past. I know that seeing a really long summary on the most recent page will actually deter me from clicking into a story, because if I don't have the patience to get through the summary, then I feel there is no way I'll have the patience to get through the story itself.

But I mean, a rule is a rule. It says right there how long the summary can be and that it'll be edited if the rule hasn't been followed. So, if someone reads the rules, and keeps their summaries an appropriate length, there shouldn't be an issue. Julilly also said here that they will be giving until April 20th for that rule to be enforced. That's a lot of time for people to go and edit the summaries themselves before it's done for them, so they are giving the authors the chance to edit their own summaries if they don't already fall within the guidelines.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 04:51:18 AM »

Personally I think editing should be left up to the writers themselves.

Like for example someone breaks a rule, you give them 24 hours to fix it, or something like that. Kind of like how you handle banner size. Not telling you how to run the site, just a suggestion.

Except that's not how we handle banner size. Presently banners that are too large are removed, after which time the person can edit them as they choose. This is no different. The author is free to make their own edits after we make them aware of the issue. The problem with just sending someone a note is it would be no different than when we first started with the banners. We chased people for months to do something as simple as changing their banner size. Finally we started taking them down and people started paying attention.

What you do after the edit is up to you so long as its within the guideline. I don't see how that is oppressive.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 04:58:24 AM »

And while you may notice certain things, other notice other things. Really, if it were my story I would prefer you to ask me to edit my summary than editing yourself. Only for the simple reason that if you haven't read the story how would you know what information is pertinent to my story.

Like my original post I really just wanted clarfication because rule 7 came from out of the blue. The other rules we hear about all the time. Clearly, we don't want to add any work to anyone's  already busy life. Maybe letting the author edit their summary would save you time.

We won't be editing it for clarity. We will be editing it to fit the guidelines. What the author does after that is up to them. They will have to edit it from there! Just like with banners.

No one heard about the other rules all the time prior to their existence. People said the same thing about the banner sizes but now it's just second nature to most. There's been plenty of discussion about summary length in the past and it has been something Mare and I have been thinking of/discussing for years. It's not really out of the blue except for the fact that it's new and no one has seen it formally until now.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 05:02:30 AM »

Sorry, I might have gotten that rule mixed up with another. I don't feel the rule is oppressive, I think the rules on the site have been pretty fair.

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 05:13:15 AM »

I have no problem with the rules. I follow them. I also see nothing wrong with discussing them. Isn't that what a forum like this message board is for. Doesn't also help to keep communication open and make the rules and AC better. Sure we may all agree or disagee, but that is life.

We all have pet peeves that bother us about AC. Some will get changed and others won't. That's life. I think we're all adults who can see each other viewpoints, at least I hope we can.

I like that we all don't agree, even though I'm usually one that stands alone on my thought process at times. We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, so we think differently.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 05:13:41 AM »

Sorry, I might have gotten that rule mixed up with another. I don't feel the rule is oppressive, I think the rules on the site have been pretty fair.

You're probably thinking of the grammar/spelling rule. You get time to edit before we do it. Mostly because it could be really bad and 3,000 words. It's a big task lol

Like I mentioned before, there are actually very few people who this will apply to. Likely those who it does apply to will be the ones who ignore it.
~Maple Jellybean~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 05:15:59 AM »

I have no problem with the rules. I follow them. I also see nothing wrong with discussing them. Isn't that what a forum like this message board is for. Doesn't also help to keep communication open and make the rules and AC better. Sure we may all agree or disagee, but that is life.

We all have pet peeves that bother us about AC. Some will get changed and others won't. That's life. I think we're all adults who can see each other viewpoints, at least I hope we can.

I like that we all don't agree, even though I'm usually one that stands alone on my thought process at times. We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, so we think differently.

98% of the rules were decided upon based on feedback from people using it. So yes, discussion is good!
~Maple Jellybean~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 05:16:30 AM »

I don't know how you guys handle moderating the site because at some point I'd probably stab myself in the eye dealing with all the rule breakers.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 05:50:59 AM »

I love everyone's differing opinions as well. For instance I never once thought people would intentionally update a bunch of chapters in a row just to stay on top of the page. That thought never once occurred to me although I'm sure some might do that.

Banners annoy the crap out of me but I know I'm alone on that one. If it was up to me I'd have no banners and a summary type form to read and also have it just a bsb fanfic site. What can I say, I'm a purist lol but in the end we do the things that we know the majority of our readers/writers would like to see.

That's been the beauty of creating this forum for discussion.

Not like we'll be able to make everyone happy but maybe by even reading through the thread, some of the people doing the annoying things might stop? lol stranger things have happened.

I also think right now, the site has been really quiet. I know I always see the same stories always updating but that's only because no one else seems to be posting. People tend to update more in the summer it seems and that's also when you see differet authors up there and not always the same 5 or 6.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:18:28 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 07:24:46 AM »

Mare,
Just curious about two things.

1. Why don't you like banners?

2. Why would you only want Backstreet Boys fiction on the website?

Those two things about have always had me curious.  :)

Inquiring minds want to know.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »

I think my hatred of banners came about because of my very old and very slow computer. It would take FOREVER to load AC because of all the banners. lol it's not so bad now that I use my iPod and Julilly being as awesome as she is, gave me her old laptop, but the hatred still lingers I suppose. I have never been a fan of the visual side of writing. I have always felt like your story should speak for itself. I like to have my own idea of what the characters look like and don't enjoy when its all spelled out for me. I also hate over the top book covers too. Come to think of it, I also hate posters and signs people hold up as well.

I don't know, maybe a poster killed my made up brother? Lmao

Hang on, must switch to computer chubby fingers are getting in the way lol

OKay much better...

As far as the second question, it's just a matter of preference. If I got to be totally selfish, I'd only make it BSB because that's all I like to read.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:37:30 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 01:13:30 PM »

I actually remember when this site first started we didn't even have a most recent page. Can you imagine? People would completely freak out. We also had that star system. Crazy times lmao

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »

The star system... *shudder*

Now THAT was a drama starter if there ever was one.
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »

Yes, lol I remember it well.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

Oh yes, the star system LOL.  Before there was a Most Recent page, couldn't you just decide whether to sort the stories by when they were last updated or by title?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7