Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: AC POSTING GUIDELINES (site not forum)  (Read 52232 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: AC POSTING GUIDELINES (site not forum)
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »

I always read the summary as well but I usually skip it if I see a banner with girls on it. A cleverly written summary might draw me in, particularly if there is no banner attached.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »

I always read the summary as well but I usually skip it if I see a banner with girls on it. A cleverly written summary might draw me in, particularly if there is no banner attached.

You know, the last time something like this was prompted I started a social experiment by seeing how many reviews I could get writing a "stereotypicall y popular" story under an alias. Perhaps an experiment on summaries is in order! lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »

Perhaps lol maybe your alternate self needs to write another story?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »

I think she might! I can say no more lest I ruin the experiment lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »

I enjoy your little experiments and projects. The last time you did one I got a laptop in the mail lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 06:17:45 PM »

I definitely read summaries.  Banners may catch my eye, but it's the summary that either sells me, intrigues me enough to make me click on the story, or turns me off to it.  Overly long, rambling summaries are just as much of a turn-off as summaries with grammar errors.  I'm not say some stories don't warrant longer summaries than others, but I think the sentence limit Mare and Julilly decided on is appropriate.  I had a few rule-breakers myself that I had to go back and condense, but it wasn't that tough and only took me a few minutes.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

tiggerc128

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »

Hi Everyone!  I know I’m not a regular poster on the message board but the rule discussion is very interesting. I personally don’t mind the rules.  I mean, I’m SO appreciative to have a place to post my work, I don’t mind following the rules, just please be patient if I ask for clarification.   :) 

First, I know a couple of my summaries have been a bit long. For that, I apologize, but I don’t think they gave too much away.  Sometimes it takes more than 4 sentences, but I’ll do my best in the future.  I have one question:  Stories that are already up, do we need to edit the summaries or will those be allowed to stand when the new rules take effect on the 20th?

Second, updating…I appreciate the limit of stories we can update per day…but if a story is updated 4 or 5 times a day and it’s a story I’m into, I just can’t read all the updates. It actually kind of turns me off reading a story, but like everyone has said, it’s a personal preference and if I don’t get all the updates read, well I try.

I’d like to thank the moderators for taking the time to keep the site up and running and letting us all air out our opinions. In the end, isn’t it all about sharing our work so that others will hopefully enjoy it?  I have big dreams with my writing, which is why I’ve been stepping out into different characters and story lines. I want to push myself to see how I can grow. I appreciate the feedback I do get and those who take the time to read my stories, thank you. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »

Hello :)

Yes, even the ones on the site now are the ones that need to be shortened before the 20th. If you guys aren't sure if yours need to be, when it gets closer to time and we have noticed the ones we feel are too long haven't edited yet, we'll probably let you know via a review or email or something like that.

I would say if you think it's too long it probably is worth it to try to shorten them up a little.

Thanks guys! I know new rules are a pain at first but in the end, it all makes sense and works out for the best.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »

You know, the last time something like this was prompted I started a social experiment by seeing how many reviews I could get writing a "stereotypicall y popular" story under an alias. Perhaps an experiment on summaries is in order! lol

I did that too! 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »

Boy am I glad I popped onto AC in time to go back and change the summaries of my stories!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:49:46 PM by alota_cookin »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 09:29:09 PM »

Oh, i'm glad you posted in here. It's a nice reminder that the deadline is coming up.

:)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »

do we need to fix old stories that are complete and not updated and therefore not on the most recent page anymore? 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »

Yes you really should but in all honestly we're probably going to hone in on the ones that we see on that most recent page. I know I won't be combing the site to check because honestly? lol but I will with rule breakers. For instance if you tend to break the rule and you're on the most recent page, i'm more likely to click on your main page and go down the list of your stuff.

Just like outrageously huge banners. I'm sure there are some I haven't found and never will because the stories are that old and no one is updating them. If I find them though I do delete the banners especially if you are a perpetual banner rule breaker. I click on your name etc.. lol

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »

Wow...that was a lot harder than I thought. Trying to change summaries for stories like LATB and Protection proved to be very challenging... they've been up for years and anything I changed sounded funny...so I just did a bunch of deleting.

I got all my summaries down to 3 sentences or less...except one has 4, but it doesn't have a banner. Sorry.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »

Never apologize for NOT having a banner. lol and thanks for taking the time to change your summaries.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7