Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FS for May 2012: Remember Me This Way  (Read 8224 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: FS for May 2012: Remember Me This Way
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »

Also Nick is just fun to torture, right?  LOL

Like you said, Rose, I think there's just something so tragic about it happening to the youngest one and the other four having to watch him deteriorate.  Alzheimer's is sad at any age, but at least when it happens to an old person, you can take comfort in knowing that at least they lived a long, full life leading up to that.  But to strike Nick down in his prime... that is brutal!  But tragically beautiful, in the twisted way we angst-lovers can appreciate LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »

Yes, yay for Nick torture! LMAO.

Exactly, it's far sadder to have it happen to Nick, than any of the others. I struck Nick down as young I could do it realistically. It's mean, it's cruel...and it's fun LOL. I'm twisted that way.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »

Congrats on being featured, Rose! I really liked this story. Also, I really liked the graphic you used for it, all the photos and Nick looking so reminiscent always made me smile. Which is probably the wrong reaction because he couldn't remember anything, LOL!

I remember when you were writing this, I think you ended it a bit earlier than you had originally intended. What was the reasoning behind that, and was it a hard decision for you to come to?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »

Thanks! LOL well reminscent was more for the Boys, who Nick wanted to remember him specifically how he was and not how he became.

I debated about how far I wanted to let Nick go. I always knew the Epilogue was going to be a leap into the future a few years and Brian's POV. I just didn't know how bad I wanted Nick to degenerate before I hit there. I was gonna let Nick get really bad, but getting there required a lot of filler. And honestly it was more filler than the raw material that I was debating actually using. So after a certain point, I just realized that constant visits to the home wasn't the way I wanted to go. One visit summing everything up at the end seemed to be a better fit for me.

And thanks to Julilly's songfic challenge, it gave me a companion one shot where you get AJ's POV too lol.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:15:12 PM by Rose »

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 04:36:19 AM »

Not a lot of stories make me cry, but this is one of them.  I think having Nick go through it had more impact than if it had been any of the others too.  Poor Nick, we all love to torture him :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 05:40:45 AM »

Awwww yay!

Glad to know I gave kleenex a boost in sales LOL.

And yeah, I gotta say, I've tortured all five at one point or another... Nick torture is by far the most fun. It's out of love Nick, I swear! LMAO.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:17 AM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one?  

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

Hmm, oh I toyed with the idea of writing it in first person, but I figured I'd write myself in a corner once Nick stopped being able to remember things. So I stuck with third.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

A little over a year, this one came fast lol.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

Nick Carter had it all. Yet despite that, he appreciated none of it. Caught within old habits that once threatened to destroy him, in one moment, he'll learn something that may put everything in perspective. But will it be too late?

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one? 

It was literally just a random musing during a very dully statistics and research methods class LOL.

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

Other than Nick you mean? Brian. I loved writing Brian because since the beginning I wrote this as if it was Brian writing this as a promise to Nick. It was so neat trying to be in his head and write as "him" and then write him as a character within the story.

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

Jane Carter. It took a lot for her to FINALLY see what she had in Nick, but I knew I had to do that to get her there. She really doesn't deserve forgiveness. But forgiveness isn't about if you deserve it, it's about compassion.

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Of course! I love my Boys and I knew this had to have all of them.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 05:29:20 AM »

Good morning! Time to read the next set of chapters. Let's read 11 - 20 :)

I'll be back with some more questions later!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »

Hello! Time to read the next set of chapters. Let's read chapters 21-30 by next Tuesday :)

Rose, which scenes did you find most difficult to write?

How did you come up with the lyrics and ideas for the fictional album and songs in your story?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »

One of the hardest scenes I had to write is when Nick first tells Kevin. It's the first time I actually teared up writing it. It's just a very emotionally charged moment. This is Kevin, and he breaks down himself a bit, despite the fact he's supposed to be the strong one. Though, how could anyone stay strong, hearing that?

Another hard one is when Aaron shows up at Nick's hotel when he's there in NYC doing solo promo. I hated writing Aaron like that (he annoys me but still lol). Partly because his behavior comes from someone in my own life. I understood Nick so well in that moment. At the same time, to get the story where I wanted, Aaron had to be like that.

As for your second question, I was so amazed anyone liked the lyrics for the fictional album lol. A lot of those were poems I'd come up with and then rearrange a bit so that they would work more as songs. I used two real songs, "Scream" and "Story of My Life", because they fit the story. When I came up with this idea, I thought of things Nick would want to be sure to do. An album was automatically one of them, a last hurrah, you know? That BSB song "I Did It For You", I'd just gotten it, and it felt like a very fitting title for the album. Nick's love for the ocean, and the idea of him being washed away, it just seemed a good representation of what was happening to him.

And since he knew he'd never use or remotely need the money, I liked the idea of him setting up a non-profit as another way of leaving his mark in the world.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04:31 AM »

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I was having trouble getting onto the site!

Time to read the last set of chapters to this wonderfully sad story. Don't forget to post your comments & questions to Rose & I'll be back with more when I'm not sneaking from school lol

Happy reading!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »

Some more questions for you, Rose.

What made you decide to end it the way you did?

Why did you pick Brian to tell Nicks story?

Did you ever need to step away from writing this because of how emotional it was?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »

What was everyone's favorite part of this story?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »

What made you decide to end it the way you did?

I always had the epilogue in my head from the moment I wrote the prologue. IWITW is their trademark and although it's really tragic that Nick no longer remembers it, it's the song that really made it's mark, I wanted to touch on that. And it had to be in Brian's POV, because it just made everything more personal.

Why did you pick Brian to tell Nicks story?

Because I'm a Frick/Frack girl, it gave me a chance to explore that bond from a different angle. Brian is the one that has the hardest time letting Nick go. He's the one who to the end, prayed for a miracle to come and save his best friend. He's the one who doesn't want to put Nick in a home. This is as much Brian's tale of letting go, as it is Nick's journey, I think.

Did you ever need to step away from writing this because of how emotional it was?

There were times I'd have to stop in the middle of a chapter cause the writing got too intense and I found myself tearing up. But at the same time, I cracked a lot of very insensitive jokes with Julie, which helped. Not because I don't take the disease seriously, I do (it's the worst thing to possibly happen in my opinion) but because it gave an emotional break.

Pages: 1 [2] 3