Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: FS for June: What Lurks Around the Corner by Mare  (Read 11881 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: FS for June: What Lurks Around the Corner by Mare
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »

I used to run to the bathroom to hide too!  I wondered the same thing about Nick with the bathroom as didn't you write him hiding in the bathroom in It Stays With You? Or have I got the wrong story.

Apart from the boys, who was your favourite character to write?

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »

Yeah I think he did. And I would know since I've read basically everything mare has posted lol. I could have sworn he's done that in another story.

Mare, I love the flashbacks to the night Nick's mom had died, how did you come up with all of it? It was very realistic.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »

Nope, you're right Steph. He spent a fair amount of time in the bathroom in It Stays. I think Nick and the bathroom have made a lot of appearances together in several of my stories actually lol

To answer your question, like I said earlier, my favorite character to write was Max because even as I was writing him I wasn't ever really sure if I was going to make him a totally bad guy or not. I enjoyed writing his many layers and his dry sense of humor especially when it came to mocking Kevin lol I tried to make him come off as Snape as much as I could. Someone you loved but also didn't fully trust. It was fun to read people's comments about him along the way.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »

Yeah I think he did. And I would know since I've read basically everything mare has posted lol. I could have sworn he's done that in another story.

Mare, I love the flashbacks to the night Nick's mom had died, how did you come up with all of it? It was very realistic.

aww, thanks Tracy. Yes he definitely spends time in the bathroom in more than one or two stories. I am pretty sure it's more like ten or so. Maybe that'll be a good 'challenge' lmao count the number of times Nick goes and hides in the bathroom in one of Mare's stories!

The whole flashback scene with his mother is the thing that kept popping in my head at the very start of the story. You know when you get an idea for a story and a scene might stick in your brain? Well, this is the scene that sparked the story. I just had a vision of this woman dying in front of her kid and it wouldn't go away. It's probably one of the only scenes that never changed a thousand times. LOL I wrote it just as I pictured it.

Thanks for the questions guys! :) I'm impressed I have been able to answer them thus far!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »

Max was a great character!  You definitely kept me guessing with him; I couldn't tell if he was a bad guy or not.  Definitely reminded me of Snape.  Not a true villain, but not really that good of a guy either.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 03:47:40 AM »

Max was a great character, you definitely had me liking/hating him throughout.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 07:15:49 AM »

Yay! Thanks guys. :-)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »

Max was a very Snape like character. You never could tell if he was good or bad.  You wanted to believe that Nick finally found someone he could trust then you threw in the diversion and made us think he was evil... you wrote that really well. 

I know you mentioned that the brother kind of crept his way into the story, were there any scenes that found their way into the story and stuck whether you wanted them there or not?

*holy cow I asked a question in this thread*

I recently read the story after reading Whatever the Night and I was happy that I gave it a go.  It really was a great story and now I know why you are called "The Queen of Suspense". :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »

Ooh yes. I agree Max reminded me sooo much of Snape, probably why I liked him so much. I also wondered how you came up with Nick's brother and his name really being Andrew.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »

Max was a very Snape like character. You never could tell if he was good or bad.  You wanted to believe that Nick finally found someone he could trust then you threw in the diversion and made us think he was evil... you wrote that really well.  

I know you mentioned that the brother kind of crept his way into the story, were there any scenes that found their way into the story and stuck whether you wanted them there or not?

*holy cow I asked a question in this thread*

I recently read the story after reading Whatever the Night and I was happy that I gave it a go.  It really was a great story and now I know why you are called "The Queen of Suspense". :)

Thanks, Lore!

There were SO many scenes that ended up in this story that never meant to be there. This story really wrote itself lol

The whole dumpster scene came out of nowhere as did the scene where Nick meets max in the bathroom for the first time (a bathroom scene again lol) and the whole therapist part came out of nowhere lol

I really am the queen of suspense for this one because I never knew what the heck I was going to do! lol
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:33:49 PM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »

Ooh yes. I agree Max reminded me sooo much of Snape, probably why I liked him so much. I also wondered how you came up with Nick's brother and his name really being Andrew.

I really didn't put that much thought into the name. Andrew was the first name that came to mind, so I went with it lol I wish I had a more witty response but sadly, no.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

Oh and to answer the brother part of that question, Tracy. You know how much I lovd brotherly bonds. I always try to include that in some way & when given the opportunity to give Nick a non douchey sibling like the ones he really is stuck with, I'm always more than happy to oblige. So, just like in Separate Ways where I gave him a new cool older brother & Protect & Serve where I made Kevin, AJ & Brian his brothers I decided Nickolas would make a great one as well.  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:29:36 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »

Thanks, Lore!

There were SO many scenes that ended up in this story that never meant to be there. This story really wrote itself lol

The whole dumpster scene came out of nowhere as did the scene where Nick meets max in the bathroom for the first time (a bathroom scene again lol) and the whole therapist part came out of nowhere lol

I really am the queen of suspense for this one because I never knew what the heck I was going to do! lol

I envy you for your ability to write that way!  I guess I used to write that way, but the results were not very good, and when I try to write without an outline now, I end up with writer's block and no inspiration (*cough*GR*cough*).  Yours always turn out like you planned it that way all along!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 03:32:42 PM »

Thanks, Julie! Yeah, for some reason I just can't write with outlines. Maybe it's all the improv acting I have done in my life? But I kind of work better off the cuff although this one was by far the most unscripted story I have ever written lol I'm glad they all seem to work out in the end lol sometimes I worry they don't!

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »

Mare, I'm one of the few people who hasn't read this story yet but I have plan to do so. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4