Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Stephen King thread!  (Read 7302 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The Stephen King thread!
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »

A place to post about all stories SK.

And a place to discuss 11/22/63 lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: The Stephen King thread!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »

Yay!

OK, so I started the book last night and have got to the part where Jake's just got back to the diner after his first trip into the past.  I liked that Al didn't give too much away at first and that Jake was open to believe him.

I'm really loving it so far as time travel has always interested me.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »

He does an excellent job with the time travel storyline. I LOVE his foreshadowing too. It's always been one of my favorite things about him the way he always alludes to what may or may not happen.

All of the characters in this one are so strong!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »

I'm wondering what the janitor has to do with it all, if anything.  I suppose I'd better get reading and find out!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »

He's pretty important lol i'm about to read the next chapter. I read a chapter a day. His chapters are pretty long as is this entire novel lol I'm on chapter 26 yay me! lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »

I've just got to the part where Jake is considering going back to stop the JFK assassination.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »

I have lunch soon so I was going to finish reading the sample on lunch and then I can buy it if I want to continue which I probably will, Steph and I tend to like the same kinds of stories. :) 

I never read the Dark Tower series either.  I've just avoided him since he is known for his horror though I thought about reading a couple of the books for the few movies of his I've seen. LOL. 

I think I just sort of "forget" about him when looking for new authors to read.  I tend to look for books similar to what I've been reading.  And that is what bothers me about Amazon... it recommends books based off of what you've read but it doesn't help at all when you are looking for something new.  I loved Borders for that ... not sure where the closest B & N is to me either.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »

Lore, we do tend to like the same kind of thing don't we :)

I've kind of overlooked him too, even though I read and enjoyed a few of his books when I was younger.  I remember reading Carrie, Misery, Dolores Claiborne, Needful Things, Firestarter, IT and I can't remember if there was anything else.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »

I love him & read most of his books but my favorites have always been his non horror ones like Eyes of the Dragon, The Dark Tower Series, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and now this one. He writes fantasy really well and all those except for Tom Gordon, fall into that category.

I get into a habit of always reading the same authors, like him & Jodi Picoult. That's why I'm forcing myself to buy some new stuff this go round lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »

I need to read 11/22/63!  It looks interesting, different for Stephen King.  I'm glad to hear you liked it, Mare!

I'm definitely a fan of Stephen King.  I've read quite a few of his books.  I tend to prefer his older horror ones.  My favorites are Misery, 'Salem's Lot, Cujo, and The Stand.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »

I loved The Stand as well!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »

The Stand is one of those books that requires a lot of patience because it's SO long and moves so slowly, but it's so epic that it's absolutely worth it.  I wish they'd make a good movie version of it.  There's that miniseries from 1994 with Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald, but it's BAD.  Bad acting and even worse special effects.  It deserves the big-budget treatment!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »

I agree! That's how this novel is too. It's really long and sometimes moves a little slow but then suddenly speeds up. Kind of like walk walk walk jog run walk walk walk lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »

Long doesn't bother me, but slow pacing is hard for me sometimes... I have to know it's going to be worth it in the end!  But I trust your taste and SK's talent, so I'm sure it is!!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 03:58:31 AM »

11/22/63 is a freaking amazing book. I need to get it back from my cousin, I lent it to him to read but the little shit still hasn't read it yet lmao. Definitely need that back so I can re-read lol. I really liked where it went with it, for an unrealistic concept he really carried it off in a believable way. Jake makes a choice I'm not sure I'd be able to make at the end.

My faves are always gonna be the Dark Tower series (amaaaaaazing, I never get sick of reading them), and The Stand lol. The first book I ever read by him though was Firestarter, which is just a classic.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6