Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Stephen King thread!  (Read 7325 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The Stephen King thread!
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »

I finally got 11/22/63!  Started reading it the other night and am not very far into it yet, but I'm really enjoying it so far!  It's so different from other SK books, but that's okay!  Will come back and actually read this thread when I finish it; I don't want to read any spoilers.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »

Yay! Excellent!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »

Awesome Julie! It's a great book. :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »

It's such a great book, I still can't get it out of my head!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »

I finally finished 11/22/63 last night - took me forever to read because I just read a little bit each night in bed before I went to sleep, but OMG, it was so good!!!  I loved it!  I stayed up til midnight the other night because I got to the climax and couldn't stop reading!

I have never been a big fan of historical fiction or sci-fi/time travel stuff, but I do love history, and I thought this book was SO interesting and so well-written!  It sucked me in right away, and although it was really long, I didn't feel that it moved slowly - certainly not as slowly as the first half or so of The Stand.  I loved all the little details he included about life in the late 50s; it made me wish I could live in that time (except for the blatant racism LOL).  I also found myself Wikipedia-ing Lee Harvey Oswald and his family quite a bit throughout the second half.  I learned a lot!

[SPOILER!!!]
I thought the ending was perfect.  In every story I've ever read about someone going back in time to stop some historical disaster from happening, the lesson learned is that you can't change history - no one ever stops the Titanic from hitting the iceberg, etc.  So I was surprised that Jake actually did succeed in saving Kennedy - but I LOVE how that didn't lead to the perfect rewrite of history that Al had envisioned, but instead ruined the world.  It was very Whatever the Night May Bring, Mare.  In fact, I couldn't remember when you read this book and was wondering if you'd read it before you came up with the idea for that story - I didn't think so because this book is so new, and that made it even eerier to see all the similarities!  Including the Canada reference LOL.
[End spoiler]

I also loved the first person narration of this one... Stephen King doesn't usually write in first person, so it was different from his usual style, but I thought it flowed better.  Really great book!!!
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2012, 09:28:02 AM »

You brought up a reason why I love historical fiction books.  Though I know they are fiction and facts can be changed to fit the story, I always look up the actual historical person/event to see what really happened.  It piques my interest in that person or time period which leads me down a path to research of my own.  

I also like that how he incorporated his own "history" into it with Derry.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:31:27 AM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »

I still haven't read anything since this book which I've enjoyed as much.  It's definitely the best book I've read in a long time.

Like you Julie, I wanted to go back to those times (minus the racism).  If only I could find a portal to another time, LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »

I read this book long after I write whatever the night. I admit I was kind of blown away by the similarities. lol it's nice to know that Stephen King & I think the same way lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »

Random comment but apparently Stephen King just showed up at a high school in a town I cover news for in New Brunswick. The students in grade 12 had been pushing to get him to come there so he just drove up unannounced to say what's up and check out their library, read some of their writing and talk to them about being a teacher and a writer and just about life.  Crazy.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »

That's super cool of him!!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »

That was really nice of him!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »

I love him!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »

Did you all see that JJ Abrams is in talks to make 11/22/63 into a TV show? I really hope this happens! I can see it actually working because of the length of the novel and subject matter. It would be really easy to keep him in the past as long as they needed to as long as they kept the integrity of the book as they did it. No people living who die or happy happy endings etc... lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

OMG really?  That would be so amazing!  It's still the best book I've read in a long time, I just hope the TV series lives up to the book.  No, I don't want them to change anything either.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »

I think it would be great as a TV show too!  It's far too long of a book to be made into a [good] movie.  I hope this happens!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6