Fic Talk > Writer's Circle

Playlists

(1/3) > >>

Pengi:
I was curious if, given the response we had in the Questions thread about music and how it interacts with our writing, anyone was interested in sharing playlists they create for their stories? I thought this might be a fun way for readers/writers to get even more involved in the stories interested in hearing about how the songs that inspired certain scenes, etc.

Thoughts?

RokofAges75:
Sure!  Why don't you post one of yours as an example of what you had in mind?

Sakabelle:
This sounds like a fun idea!

Pengi:
Okay, here's my playlist for Borrowed Time. I only wrote reasons for some of the songs because well some of them I can't explain yet because their scenes haven't come and others they don't particularly have a purpose other than to simply set the mood.

1. Breathe (2 AM) - Anna Nalick
This is sort of the "theme song" for the story, it projects the overall mood that the story carries thoughout it, sort of a self-inflicted, unravelling feeling. I've played it several times on repeat while writing various chapters, and the song just really fits all the aspects of the story emotionally. It's about times when things seem to fall apart and getting the words out to ask for help isn't so easily done, which is exactly the situation that Borrowed Time struggles with through all the characters - Brian, Nick, and AJ most espcially.

2. Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely - Backstreet Boys
It wouldn't be a story about 1998 BSB without a cameo by SMTMOBL - especially considering the music video was the first time Brian really demonstrated his emotions about the surgery. The song really depicts the isolation Brian must have felt in both real life and in the story, and I use it for moments when he feels most alone during the story.

3. Chasing Pavement - Adele
4. Angels and Heroes - Brian Littrell
5. My City of Ruins (Live) - Eddie Vedder
6. Better Days - Goo Goo Dolls
7. How to Save a Life - The Fray

8. Superman (It's Not Easy) - Five for Fighting
This song usually makes me think of Nick - but in this story I'm using it for the overwhelming feeling Brian's got building and all the questions he has looking between the band members. When they don't notice their song on the radio in the first chapter, or when he questions when they stopped noticing each others' pains, etc.

9. Fire And Rain - James Taylor

10. Dusk and Summer - Dashboard Confessional
This song is sad and beautiful, and I used it for the Castle Windy trail date because I could picture the diffused light through the trees with the song's tune. The sad emotion of the song will probably make it come back for a future tender moment as well.

11. Paradise - Coldplay
The beat of this song really makes it sound sadly sexy to me, and because of that it is what I've been using as a love-makin' song. The scene when Brian and Leighanne were interrupted by the fire alarm for example.

12. It Will Rain - Bruno Mars
I used It Will Rain for the Prologue and will be using it in the future for a couple other scenes dealing with Brian and Leighanne's relationship as the story progresses. The feeling of the world crashing down in the song really captures the lost feeling in the Prologue, when Brian's standing on the dock in Madrid holding the canary yellow diamond in his palm. It really helped to capture the emotion.

usako:

--- Quote from: Pengi on July 03, 2012, 12:12:19 AM ---
2. Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely - Backstreet Boys
It wouldn't be a story about 1998 BSB without a cameo by SMTMOBL - especially considering the music video was the first time Brian really demonstrated his emotions about the surgery. The song really depicts the isolation Brian must have felt in both real life and in the story, and I use it for moments when he feels most alone during the story.

--- End quote ---

In the first web chat he did, someone asked Brian what was his meaning of "Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely" and he answered that it was the last part, the being lonely, because that was what he felt during the hardest time of his life, when the four people closest to him left him alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version