Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why you should read The Fault in our Stars!  (Read 3737 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Why you should read The Fault in our Stars!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 06:04:01 AM »

I think this would make a great movie.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »

According to Wikipedia, Fox already bought the film rights!  I Wikipedia everything LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 06:15:24 AM »

Excellent! lol and yes, you do!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »

I hope so much they actually DO make the movie. And that they cast just the right person as Augustus though or I'm gonna have to go all crrraaazzyyy lol.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »

OK, now I'm done with my Stephen King book and will be starting this one tonight :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »

Yay! You'll love it. You'll also get through it a lot faster.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »

I've started it already and loving it so far :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »

Yay! :)
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »

Dan Bergstein, the Blogging Twilight guy, whom I love, wrote a blog about this book and why he'll never read it: http://community.sparknotes.com/2013/02/26/everything-i-know-about-the-fault-in-our-stars-without-reading-the-book

I didn't realize The Fault in Our Stars was such a phenomenon!  I did see a display of it at Barnes & Noble recently, but honestly, the only reason I had even heard of it was because of you recommending it to me, Mare.  It was a great book, and I'm glad to find out so many other people like it!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 11:04:34 PM »

I thought I would resurrect this thread because I just finished rereading this book.  I'm pleased to say it held up on the reread.  Granted, I am someone who does a lot of rereading books, but not all books hold my interest the second time around.  This one I enjoyed just as much as the first time, if not a bit more.  I kind of like knowing how it's going to end so I don't have to spend the whole book wondering and worrying about it LOL.

Also, as Mare told me on Twitter, they've cast the movie and are going to start shooting it in August.  http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/10/ansel-elgort-gus-fault-in-our-stars/  Thoughts?

I nearly squeed when I saw the pic of the guy they got for Augustus because he looks just like how I pictured him in the book, but then I saw that they cast Shailene Woodley as Hazel, and I groaned.  She's cute, but maybe too cute for Hazel, you know?  Also she's in her twenties, so she's a little old to be playing a sixteen-year-old, but I guess that's nothing new.  I hope they ugly her up for authenticity's sake.  It's okay if he's hot because he was hot in the book, but I didn't really picture her as a beauty queen.  They better not ruin the book.  In my experience, books like this generally don't make good movies, but I'm sure I will see it anyway.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 07:27:35 AM »

It's funny because I actually reread this book too but I usually NEVER reread anything. I really have to be in love with a book to read it twice. I've only done it with a handful of books but my book club chose this one to discuss last month so I decided to read it again since I was co-hosting. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it the second time through. Almost more than the first. Probably because I already knew what the outcome was going to be so there was no anxiety going into it this time.

As far as the movie goes, I thought that Shailene girl was an unknown because I have never heard of her before. lol I can see why they'd want at least one familiar face to sell the movie but you're right, Julie. She is a bit on the glamorous side to pull off Hazel. Hopefully they will cancer her up a bit for this. I just hope they are both great actors because that's really what's going to keep this movie from turning into a movie of the week shmoltz fest. I can't see John Green letting them change his book like Jodi P did for Sister's Keeper. I have a feeling he is a lot like the author in the actual book. I started following him on Twitter after I read this book and got that kind of vibe from him.

I am excited to see the final product. I heard they are also making the Book Thief into a movie and that has me mega excited as well!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »

I think she's a pretty good actress, at least.  She was nominated for a Golden Globe for The Descendants.  I've only seen her in Secret Life, which is cheesy, but I think she has more going for her than that.  I think she could pull it off if they stay true to the book and, like you said, "cancer her up."

So is John Green kind of a douche?  Hopefully that means he'll put his foot down and not let them mess up his book too badly.  I can't see them trying to change the ending or anything, but I'm worried about them missing the mark on Hazel and Gus's personalities.  I hope the whole sarcastic, witty banter thing they had going on will translate onto the screen.  It needs to be funny, not just a romantic tearjerker.

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »

Yes, he seems like kind of a douche lol

I agree! I hope they keep it funny and upbeat most of the time.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »

I teared up a few times while reading this book, but the only time I actually cried was when Hazel told us Augustus had died after his pre-funeral. I wasn't prepared for that to come so quickly, which I'm sure was part of the point of putting it so bluntly.

I had expected it to end mid-sentence like An Imperial Affliction, and I was sort of disappointed and relieved that it didn't. Also, I read it on my kindle and when it ended I was expecting another chapter... but then it was just over and I thought I'd hit the wrong button or something but no, it was done and there was no more.

Also, I thought that Hazel was going to die! (This is a spoiler alert for Julie's Curtain Call, actually) I went into this book thinking that it was going to end with Hazel's present tense death like Nick did in Curtain Call! I think that was because I'd seen Julie say something about the ending to that story being inspired by another book, so for some reason I'd assumed it was this one. (Which now I realise wouldn't have made sense with the timing, I think) But I liked the open ending that mirrored Hazel's discontent with An Imperial Affliction, and I'm glad John Green worked that into his own ending. Besides, it's quite clear that Hazel will die, and we did get a bit of closure with what would happen with her parents afterwards.

Also loved the twist of Augustus being the one who died. It was so sad and completely believable. I think sometimes twists like that come off as the author trying to throw a wrench into things, but this came off very naturally. I think I am going to have to re-read parts of this to look at how Augustus acts after he's found out he's going to die, but before he's told Hazel.

Basically, this book was an incredible read. I really enjoyed it!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »

That's one thing I don't like about reading books on my Kindle, the fact that it's harder to gauge how far you really are into it and how much you have left to go.  I know it shows you the percent at the bottom, but I don't always pay attention to that.  I thought the end of this book came quickly too, and yet it was fitting.

I love the twist of it being Augustus who died, even though it was like a punch in the gut when he told Hazel his cancer was back and everywhere.  I think I may have shed a few tears when I first read it last summer, but I just reread it not too long ago and took it even harder the second time around!  I think I liked Augustus even more the second time, so it was harder to know what was coming and then have to read it again.  But still good.  You know me, I love that stuff LOL.

The other book I was referring to that inspired the present tense death scene in CC is a book called "Before I Die" by Jenny Downham.  It's a decent book, nowhere near as good as this one though.
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3