Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Felix Awards Season Five!  (Read 27649 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: Felix Awards Season Five!
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »

I feel horrible...I don't have a comp and in order to put in the nominations I had to go through a long process to fill it out. the first time I did cut and paste it didn't go through I was so mad and I just couldn't do it all over again. But I hope my favorites were nominated! :/ Sorry

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »

okay phew...

did the sci-fi/supernatural/fantasy category get nixed? LOL

Nope, I think that one was okay. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »

okay good cause that's usually the only one my stories fit in ;) LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »

Mare is correct, I meant the site regulars not specifically the forum regulars. Pretty much everyone here did okay! And don't worry about it Erika, it sucks that yours didn't work out but the one extra wouldn't have tipped the scales. There should have been at LEAST 15 more submissions than there were. At VERY least.

I thought last year was bad (it was the lowest participation-wise up to that point) but this year put it to shame.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 04:43:20 PM »

If anybody complains about anything this year....

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 06:26:45 PM »

I wonder why more people who read and/or post stories regularly on the site didn't bother to nominate?  Especially if you're used to seeing at least double the numbers.  I thought that with the nomination form you used this year, it would be even easier to get non-forum people to participate - in the past, they always had to register an account here so they could send in their noms via PM.

It does seem like AC hasn't been as active lately, but I also thought that was due to a lot us forum regulars seeming to be in writing slumps the last few months.  I know there haven't been many of my favorites being updated lately.  I wonder what's up.

What are your thoughts, Julilly and Mare?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »

I have a few thoughts I'm sure no one really wants to hear lol

I just think people are too lazy to bother, honestly. It's a lot of work to look up links and make sure those stories haven't been nominated before in the category etc... (Even though I basically make that part easy by LISTING who has been nominated already) People have complained that it takes up too much time (of course they complain about this while roaming the net or posting on twitter etc...)

I also think it's because we don't allow people to nominate themselves. It's kind of sad that the people who think it's too much work to nominate someone else would probably do it in a second if they could nominate their own stories. I just think it defeats the purpose of doing an awards if you want to celebrate yourself and no one else. The same idea when you arrange it with your buddies to nominate you if you nominate them etc... what's the point? That was SO blatant in some of the noms this year it was kind of a joke.

And I also just think maybe people don't really care about that sort of thing? It seems like awards are a dying breed. I have no problem with people not nominating things because they think the idea of awards are dumb. I do too!

I do have a problem when I see the complaining about how unfair the awards are because it's always the same people yada yada yada from the people who don't take the time to nominate anyone or are bitter because no one nominated them. (hence annoyed they couldn't nominate themselves)

Last year, we even asked everyone how they would do things differently and listened to the criticism and advice and despite that, we still we had such a low turnout. It really doesn't seem worth it, but I guess we'll have to see how the actual voting etc.. goes. If it's as low as the nominations, this will most likely be the end. I can't see us working on these things if only a few people appreciate or care about it.

As far as lack of things going on with the site and forum, this time of year is always dead but I know many of us have lost inspiration. It comes and goes in waves. Right now we're in a lull. It'll probably pick up later.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »

:( this is so sad to hear. Last year was my first Felix awards and I was so excited to be part of it again. I am really shocked that more people aren't participating.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »

And just when it seemed like awards were making a comeback!

I've always enjoyed awards - not because I put that much stock into them, but just because they're fun.  They're a way to recognize people for the hard work they put into a craft that no one but us will ever appreciate or understand.  And I especially like the Felix Awards because you guys have really tried to eliminate the problems that used to occur with the old-school awards - people nominating themselves, cheating in the polls, picking their friends as winners in their own awards, not following through with actually awarding winners, etc. etc. etc.  It's sad to see your hard work go unappreciated by people who either don't get it, don't care, or are just too lazy to participate.

I can kind of understand why readers on the site (who don't write themselves) wouldn't take the time to find all those links and nominate, because they don't have any vested interest in it.  But it bothers me that more writers didn't, and it does make me wonder what a difference it would make if you did allow people to nominate themselves.  There are probably a lot of writers who post their own work regularly, but never bother to read anyone else's, so who are they going to nominate?  If people don't care just because they can't nominate themselves, that makes me sad.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 01:38:23 AM »

nuuuu! Save the Felix awards!

Course I've been terrible this year. I haven't nomed but only because I didn't read as much as I should be reading this year. I usually peruse over the nominees once the list is revealed, then vote from there tbh. But the Felix Awards are too awesome to say the end to! I'll picket! Me and Llama. *makes a llama sized picket sign*

:(
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 03:33:49 AM »

I really hope the voting part of Felix Awards will turn out good. It's sad to think that Felix Awards might come to an end. :(
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »

I was going to say exactly what you said mare, I think a lot of the people who update a lot don't read other people's works so they don't have anyone else to nominate except themselves and that is out.  People want the recognition but don't want to take the time to recoginize others.  It's quite sad.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

It is sad that people would nominate if they could nominate themselves.  Where's the fun in that?  I nominate stories and authors that I want to win an award, it would be a bit pointless otherwise!

And people who say they don't have time are just making excuses.  If you have time to read fics, post on Facebook and Twitter and who knows what else, then surely you have time to fill out a form and look up a few links :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »

And people who say they don't have time are just making excuses.  If you have time to read fics, post on Facebook and Twitter and who knows what else, then surely you have time to fill out a form and look up a few links :)

THIS to the umpteenth degree!! I hate when people say they are too busy to do something but you see them constantly posting on twitter, here, other forums etc... 

Usually it's the same people who read something but don't review it! Ugh!!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »

I don't even have a computer and I still got my nominations in. I think not havinf time is just an excuse. ou havevto make the time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5