Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Felix Awards 2012 nominees are...  (Read 33055 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Felix Awards 2012 nominees are...
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »

I was responding to Rose.

OH lol makes more sense then because I was so confused.

Though apparently judging by my ability to catch mistakes in the nominations list... that doesn't take a whole lot :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »

Personally, for me anyway, there was a little bit of confusion based on this particular paragraph in the nomination thread: "Lastly, take a look at the winners from the past four years before you nominate a story. If an author has already won an award in that category for the same fic, they cannot be nominated again. You can only win one time in one category."  I think I misinterpreted that as the same fic/author combination can't be nominated if a particular story has already won, but that the author category wasn't included in that rule.  I guess I was thinking that if an author writes more fics in that genre the following year, they should have a shot at still being the best author in that category?Obviously, I should have paid closer attention to the wording there.  I believe I may have nominated one or two authors that had won before, so I sincerely apologize!  Being relatively new to the site, I haven't read a whole lot of stories, but did feel like I'd read enough to participate and nominate. Though, maybe I hadn't read enough different authors to nominate in those particular categories.

I'm glad you pointed that out actually because that wording was something I had never really considered as confusing. We've kept the same rules year after year, but last year was the first that we added the author awards and I never really thought to add those two extra words into the rules preceding them. So thanks for that!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »

You're welcome.  I didn't want everyone thinking that those of us who might have nominated authors in the best author categories simply didn't care to follow instructions.  There was some honest misinterpretat ion-- on my part anyway :)

girlboo02

• Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 08:07:40 AM »

Congrats to everyone who was nominated and thanks so much to whoever threw me in the mix. Makes me feel special. Lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

I can see how the author thing would be confusing.  I think as long as you're being consistent, either way is fine.  Lore had a good point about it being like the Oscars, where the same actor could win Best Actor more than once for different roles, but I've always viewed it more like Miss America - once you win that title, you've got bragging rights to it forever, but the following year, it's time to pass the crown to someone else.  That way, more people get to win, and no one can dominate the same category year after year.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 03:26:58 AM »

Both Lore and Julie have a good point, and Julie is right either way is fine. But I just have a question, for example for Best Romance Author category, X won the award last year. So, this year she cannot win again even though a lot of people nominated her. Since she was taken off the list of nominees, Y wins this year. If you are writer Y, would you feel that you really deserve the award of being Best this year, even though majority of readers still thinks that writer X is still the Best romance author for this year?

Hopefully, my question makes sense. I don't want to start anything, I just want to ask that.  :-X
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 04:12:11 AM »

No, no, these are good things to discuss. These are all of our awards so I always appreciate any comments you guys have that may help to improve things going forward. Felix is ever changing and I think it should be, lest it get stagnant. Hence, the new categories this year based on last years feedback :)

I guess ultimately, in response to your comment Ritz, is that although Felix is held each year it's not specific to that year. So if X won in 2011, they always hold that title even if they continue to be the best the following year. But people can be nominated who didn't even write this year so maybe Y was the best in 2008 but didn't win, I think they're still deserving of the title (or chance at it anyway). In some ways it's restrictive because eventually you will run out of people unless more great authors come along but its like Julie said, you are crowned Miss America one year and the next year you pass it down.

I think we make up for that shortfall with the fact that X, who won in 2011, still has a shot of having their awesome new story win in the genre category. That still reflects on them as an author overall :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:15:31 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 04:32:39 AM »

I can see both sides of it. I know I'd get annoyed by the idea of someone winning Best AU Writer (for example) year after year. That's a little insane lol, especially if say the person didn't even write anything that year. I like how this isn't time frame specific so once someone wins, others have a chance for their body of work over time.

If I made any sense haha.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 03:19:42 AM »

Thanks for your answer, Julilly. So, it's like when you win Best Author, no matter which year, it just means that you really are good in that genre. I get it now... and yes, it would be better if previous winners are not allowed to win again, and give others the chance, after all they have been recognized already. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 06:41:52 AM »

I just want to thank you ladies for setting rules that make sense and have clearly been thought through, and then enforcing them consistently.  That is just one of the reasons the Felix Awards are superior to most of the old-school awards from back in the day.  I hope they continue!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »

Ditto to what Julie said. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »

What if it was just so that X author can't win multiple years in a row? For example, X won last year so they aren't eligible this year but next year X is back in the running. And/or the winner, X author, has to have been active within the year in order to be nominated for that year's award. I think maybe the author should also have to have a story nominated in that genre to win the genre author award.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »

I just want to thank you ladies for setting rules that make sense and have clearly been thought through, and then enforcing them consistently.  That is just one of the reasons the Felix Awards are superior to most of the old-school awards from back in the day.  I hope they continue!

Agreed!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »

What if it was just so that X author can't win multiple years in a row? For example, X won last year so they aren't eligible this year but next year X is back in the running. And/or the winner, X author, has to have been active within the year in order to be nominated for that year's award. I think maybe the author should also have to have a story nominated in that genre to win the genre author award.

I think your first suggestion is pretty interesting! I think that's something that will definitely be considered should there be any future seasons.

For the other point... the reason we separated the story and author award was to open it up more so that if you like a specific romance by Mare (LOL!) but your favourite romance author is Jen then you are able to nominate them both without being required to nominate a story by Jen (in case perhaps she doesn't have one eligible). Restricting it to those who are nominated for the story awards would definitely make it easier for me though because no one would be able to submit their own noms :P
~Maple Jellybean~

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

Thank you so, so, so much to whomever nominated me and Brian Potter.  :)  I'm so glad I just posted a new chapter for the first time in quite a long while.  I promise the story will be finished one day!  Haha. 

Congratulation s to all the nominees- so many good people and stories! 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4