Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: An end of year ramble...  (Read 15602 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
An end of year ramble...
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:46:56 AM »

Hi everyone!

The end of another year is upon us and I just wanted to take a few moments to chat with you all for a bit. :)

First, I want to apologize for the delay in the Felix Awards this year. I feel like I've dropped the ball a little bit but to be perfectly honest, there almost was no awards season this year. A small few of you may know this but my mother was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer in July and she has been living with me while she undergoes treatments. It's hard enough having a house guest over an extended period but when they're your parent and they're sick... well, it has taken up a lot of my spare time.

At the same time, after finishing my graduate studies this year, I've been trying to relaunch my career. I've been busy applying and reapplying to jobs, doing testing for government positions and going to an endless stream of job interviews which, up until about a week ago, had resulted in a lot of disappointment .

With all of that happening, I actually took a break from my AC duties for a good chunk of the fall and Mare stepped in to let me deal with the emotional rollercoaster I was stuck on. When it came time to think about Felix again, I honestly didn't know what I was going to do. Mare and I had a conversation in which she ultimately put the power in my hands and let me decide. I went back and forth a lot but knew that Felix is so much bigger than just the work I put into it. It's not mine - it's yours and I didn't want to disappoint anyone.

I tried as hard as I could to stay on the exact same schedule as last year's awards season (even going so far as to attempt to duplicate the dates things were posted on the forum) so that it wouldn't get away from me but it did. The nominations/voting portion of this season has stretched on for much longer than I ever would have wanted and I'm really sorry. I'm doing my absolute best to speed things up so you're not left waiting. I thank you all sincerely for sticking around and being enthusiastic about it all even though it's seemingly dragging on forever.

There were a few other things I wanted to take the opportunity to clear up, while I have you all here. I know there's been a lot of technical glitches with the site and I just want to say I wish we could do more to make sure they never happen again. Some of the newer people on the site/forum may not know this but Mare and I are not the owners of Absolute Chaos - we're the moderators. We're the beefy security guards standing at the boss' door and ultimately are not the ones holding all the power. We are under some limitations, including:

A. The eFiction script - it's old, full of bugs and hasn't been updated in years, but continues to be the only semi-reliable fanfiction archiving system available. It has a lot of glitches that all eFiction-based sites are experiencing and worst of all, it can't be changed. Other than changing the skins around we don't have much flexibility to do anything else.

B. The site belongs to Ash - we always pass along all of your technical concerns to Chaos/Ash as soon as they're brought up to us but once they leave our outboxes it's ultimately in his hands. If he has time, he addresses the issues and if he doesn't... we wait, just like you wait.

Despite those limitations, Mare and I will continue to work to make your experience here easy and interactive. Mare spends a lot of time on things like the monthly challenges, featured stories, surveys and daily questions just as I do with Felix and ongoing participation will be the only thing that will keep them alive.

We may have been frustrated over the lack of nominations for Felix this year, but really the kudos goes to the people who did nominate. The frustrating part was mostly that so many people expressed interest but then didn't follow through. If we decide to do it all again next year, hopefully they will. There will always be those people that will make fake accounts to nominate themselves (those get deleted), or make fake accounts to nominate their friends (that's actually not against the rules), will only nominate stories by their co-writers (what are friends for?), won't include links, won't include author names, etc but in the end it's all worth it to know that you guys had fun.

So, I thank each and every one of you for making it possible to keep Absolute Chaos going strong for the past ten years. You're the ones who have done it and it goes neither unnoticed nor unappreciated.

Cheers.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: An end of year ramble...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »

Awww well I very much can relate to all your difficulties this year. I hope your mother is able to get past this, and I appreciate your own work during all this. Hell I couldn't even manage to keep updating anything after my own mother passed this year. I'm still trying to regain my old semblance of a life back. Which is slowly happening now that I have a job again. The fact you've been able to keep at this is simply amazing to me, personally.

So I really want to thank you and Mare for everything this year on the site. Also, thank you for keeping Felix going which, despite the problems is still something I know many of us look forward to. And can I say let's hope 2013 is a better year? Cause seriously I think 2012 sucked LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »

Wow Julia. I am so sorry to hear you are going through all.of that. Same.goes to Rose. I know we dont speak much outside of AC, but thank you for all the work you do and for being consistent. I have been here going on four years now and I feel like no other forum could be as fun or welcoming, so thank you.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about everything going on with your mom; I had no idea.  I will be praying that her treatments are successful and that life starts looking up for you both soon!

Thanks for the update, and thanks for everything you and Mare do to keep the site and forum a great place to read/post/talk fanfic and be with friends.  AC is always one of the first sites I go to when I get online; I can't imagine life without it!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 06:49:07 AM »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your well wishes. I haven't really talked about it with very many people and I never wanted to use it as an excuse but I wanted you all to know that I haven't just abandoned my "duties" in regards to Felix.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »

Really sorry to hear that your mum isn't well at the moment, I hope the treatment is successful and she's better soon.  2012 has been a crappy year for a lot of people and I hope 2013 is better for everyone!

Thanks to you and Mare for this site, it's probably the first place I look when I get online, and I hope we'll all still be coming here in another 10 years :)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:15:28 PM »

I am sorry to hear about what has been going on outside the site and the fandom for you Julia.  Life sometimes gets in the way of our diversions, I am sure we all experience it from time to time.  Honestly, I had no idea the Felix awards were off on timing.  I was simply happy to see that they came back this year.  Please don't feel stressed if things take too long, I am sure we can all wait when you have time to get things together. Well, at least I know I can wait.  *kicks cost basis* 

((hugs))
- Purpura -
   -Lore-