Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Favorite books from childhood  (Read 2778 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Favorite books from childhood
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »

I follow R.L. Stine on Twitter, and he retweeted this article about a blogger who made a resolution to re-read the entire Baby-sitters Club series in 2013: http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/blogger-vows-to-read-131-baby-sitters-club-books-this-year_b63220

Here is her blog: http://beautyandthearmageddon.blogspot.com/p/the-babysitters-club-idea-and-phantom.html

Between this and reminiscing about Lurlene McDaniel books in Shania's thread about her blog, I'm feeling nostalgic and thought I'd start a thread about books from when we were kids.  What were some of your favorite books or book series?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Favorite books from childhood
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »

I LOVED both Babysitters Club and Babysitters Little Sister (the Karen books).  I don't have my Karen books anymore, but I still have my BSC collection - it's in my classroom at school, and the kids don't read them.  I guess they are too dated. :(  They are re-releasing them with updated covers, though, so maybe that will help.  They're VERY 80s, but still good stories!

I also loved Goosebumps and later the Fear Street series.  I still have all of those too - the Goosebumps are in my classroom, and the kids do still love those.

And then, of course, Lurlene McDaniel was my favorite author from 4th grade until... really, my junior year of high school, when J.K. Rowling took her place LOL.  That's the only YA/kid series that is still prominently displayed on my bookshelves at home, with many of the covers taped or in tatters because of how many times I read those titles.

I also loved the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary and many of Roald Dahl's books.  It's fun being an elementary school teacher because I get to reread my favorites to my class each year.  I always read Ramona the Pest, The Witches, Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (another good series).  When we get back from break, we're starting our mystery unit, during which I get to read The Westing Game with my high readers - also fun!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »

I never really got into the series books when I was a kid. My absolute favorite book was Little Women. I think I probably read it at least thirty times!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »

Oh, how I love reading as a kid. Heck, I still do, lol.

Here are the books and series I loved as a kid.

Nancy Drew (even though I solved the case halfway thru the book, lol)
Babysitters Club and Babysitters Little Sister
Sweet Valley Twins (I wanted to be a twin so bad, lol)
Anne of Green Gables (the whole series)
Any novel about dancing
Little House on the Prairie (series)
Books by Christopher Pike especially Last Act

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »

I think the reason I liked series books so much as a kid was because I loved to read, but was a picky reader, so once I found something I liked, whether it be a series or just a certain author, I would read as many as I could get my hands on and then re-read them multiple times before I would try something new.  I am still like that, to be honest LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »

I take that back, I did read the Nancy Drew books growing up. I kind of forgot about those!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »

I never got into Nancy Drew... I think the only mystery series I read was Boxcar Children.
~Julie

cartermcleanfanchick

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »

I used to read babysitter club books

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »

I've always loved reading, here are some of the books I loved as a kid...

Nancy Drew
Famous Five
Roald Dahl's books
Sweet Valley High
Cannibal Adventure by Willard Price (I LOVED that book and might've read a couple of others but can't remember)
Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence
Kevin & Sadie series by Joan Lingard
Flowers in the Attic series by Virginia Andrews

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »

I read
Babysitter's Club
Nancy Drew
Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High
Little House of the Prarie series
Anne of Green Gables series ( still read these every so often)
I am sure there are a bunch of books that weren't series that I read several times but the book I remember reading the most, which is part of a series but I read the others only a handful of times was Wizard of Oz.  I checked that book out every other library visit in 4th grade. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »

I was addicted to anything Sweet Valley because I used to (and still at times sorta do) have a twin thing LOL. I also was really into BSC and anything by R.L. Stine, I think he and I share a birthday which as a kid that was the coolest thing ever for me. I also had practically every Beverly Cleary book around. I got into VC Andrews when I hit middle school.

My mom got me into Laura Ingles Wilder, I'd get the books and talk about them with her when I was in elementary school.

LOL Julie, I loved Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing! That book was hilarious.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »

I had a book club membership and was an avid library geek, so I read through many of the series already mentioned here:

Baby Sitters Club
Sweet Valley Twins/SV High
Goosebumps
The Boxcar Children
The Three Investigators (I never could read the Hardy Boys because I thought these three boy detectives were much cooler haha)
Little House on the Prairie (I have read every book in the series nearly a dozen times)
The Black Stallion

Also, two of my teachers retired when I was going through elementary school, so I inherited most of their classroom libraries. I ended up reading a lot of classics when I was a kid and became a huge fan of classic literature at a young age. I read Little Women, The Secret Garden, and Swiss Family Robinson over and over growing up. I still remember when I had my reading level tested in sixth grade, and my teacher was shocked that I was at a college reading level  :D

Now that I'm an adult, I don't read nearly as much. I blame the internet.
my muse is such a lush

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »

In 5th and 6th grade, since my reading level was high, I was in a program called Junior Great Books.  It was a book "club" for elementary kids where they had us reading classics.  I remember reading Huckleberry Finn and Up From Slavery inparticular.  We actually discussed the books too... it's how I know I'm not really a fan of being forced to read books then talk about them.  Actually, I wouldn't mind discussing them as long as I don't have to get into the deeper meaning behind why the author chose the window coverings to be blue instead of green. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »

^ OMG, I hated analyzing classic literature like that in school!  I think if we had just gotten to enjoy the stories for what they were, I may have liked more of the ones I was forced to read, but having to write papers about what my teacher SAID the author intended every little thing in the text to symbolize took any possible enjoyment out of it.  I took AP English in high school, and I'll still be the first to admit that I'd totally rather go read the whole Babysitters Club series than re-read any classic I was assigned for one of those classes LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »

One of my favorite classes in high school was British Literature, but only because half of it was the history of the time period at which each of the texts we read was written, and I love history.  I enjoyed learning about British history because a lot of it was new to me, but then when we'd get to the literature part, I'd lose interest LOL.  For the 19th century unit, we got to choose between reading Pride and Prejudice and reading Frankenstein, and obviously, I chose Frankenstein.  I was actually excited about it, but I didn't even like that book.  But Pride and Prejudice would have been even worse.  I couldn't even make it through Pride and Prejudice and Zombies LOL.  Even with the undead, it was way too dull for me.
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2