Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Worst books you've ever read!?  (Read 2339 times)

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
Worst books you've ever read!?
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:03:09 AM »

Thought this would be a good one to go along with our favorite childhood books (since a few of us were discussing our hatred of The Scarlet Letter!)  These can be books from grade/high school, college or from more recently.  Books you would NEVER recommend to anyone.

My list;
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Romeo and Juliet  I seriously wish they'd have killed themselves in the beginning of the dang play and saved us all the trouble of having to read about their misery!
The Road  Worst post apocalyptic story EVER
Eat, Pray, Love  Why? Why? Why? (lol)
The Old Man and the Sea -- seriously though... page after page of "Oh my gawd, let go of the damn fish already! PLEASE!"
Little Women

And there are plenty more!  Lol...
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Worst books you've ever read!?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:27:39 AM »

Twilight!  LOL  I actually made myself read the first one so I could honestly say that I don't like it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:53:11 AM »

I have never been able to force myself to read those!  Just can't do it  :shrug: lol.  I'm passing on 50 Shades too!! And my friends keep trying to convince me otherwise.  No thanks!
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:49:43 AM »

In recent memory, hands down it has to be Twilight. WORST BOOK EVER!!! As a kid the only two books I didn't enjoy that were required reading both happened in 7th grade. One was the Scarlett Letter and the other was A Tale of Two Cities. Luckily I did seem to enjoy almost all the others although by the time I hit high school, I was done with required reading.

There is a big long list of books I just kind of consider blah but I wouldn't say I hate them. I put Gone Girl on that list. I'm not sure how or why it is considered one of the best books of last year. I thought it was a snooze fest until more than halfway through but in my mind, if it takes more than halfway for a book to start picking up, it's not that great. I wasn't a really big fan of the book, "The Reader" Either. That was one example of the movie being better than the actual book. Oh and "Water for Elephants!" <--- same although I didn't really like the movie either, but it was a little better than the book.

I need another truly great book to read. I am buying "The Time Keeper," With one of my gift cards and am looking forward to that one.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »

I hated most of the books my 7th grade literature teacher made us read:  Anne of Green Gables, Who Killed Cock Robin, and Across Five Aprils.  The only one I did like was Where the Red Fern Grows.

In high school, I hated The Yearling and Great Expectations my freshman year.  I read quite a few other classics that I didn't particularly like, but those are the two I remember hating with a burning passion.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »

Hmm I think 50 Shades is probably the worst.  I read the first few chapters and had to stop reading as it was that bad.

There was also a book called Honey Moon which I struggled through a couple of years ago.  It was soooo boring, but I really hate to abandon books if I can help it.

I can't really remember any awful books from when I was a child, I'm sure there were some though.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »

I need another truly great book to read. I am buying "The Time Keeper," With one of my gift cards and am looking forward to that one.

I got that one for Christmas but haven't read it yet!  I've loved all of Albom's other books so far, so hopefully I'll enjoy this one too. 

If anyone is looking for something fun to read, honestly the James Potter series by Norman Lippert (the ones that JK Rowling approved) are pretty decent reads.  No, they aren't as good as Rowlings, but that's a lot to ask!  He does a good job though, and I'm on the third book right now and have really enjoyed reading them.  You can download the PDF files for free -- I read them on my Kindle.
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »

I forgot Pillars of the Earth! I HATED that book too! lol I must have blocked it out of my head.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »

I hated most of the books my 7th grade literature teacher made us read:  Anne of Green Gables, Who Killed Cock Robin, and Across Five Aprils.  The only one I did like was Where the Red Fern Grows.

In high school, I hated The Yearling and Great Expectations my freshman year.  I read quite a few other classics that I didn't particularly like, but those are the two I remember hating with a burning passion.

Where the Red Fern Grows  :'(  Love that story but I always bawl like a baby!
I remember reading Anne of Green Gables, but I honestly can't remember the story... so that says a lot about that one!
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »

heehee Anne of Green Gables is on my other list.  :p  lol...

I will have to think to remember if there are other books that I hated.  I typically am only disappointed by books... oh wait, it's coming back to me....  Catcher in the Rye ... hated it...
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »

If anyone is looking for something fun to read, honestly the James Potter series by Norman Lippert (the ones that JK Rowling approved) are pretty decent reads.  No, they aren't as good as Rowlings, but that's a lot to ask!  He does a good job though, and I'm on the third book right now and have really enjoyed reading them.  You can download the PDF files for free -- I read them on my Kindle.

Is that fanfic?  Where can I find those?  I haven't read any HP fanfic in years, but I would love to read a well-done Marauder-era series, if that's what it is, since it doesn't sound like JKR will ever write one.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »

Where the Red Fern Grows  :'(  Love that story but I always bawl like a baby!
I remember reading Anne of Green Gables, but I honestly can't remember the story... so that says a lot about that one!

Yeah, I distinctly remember the day we got to THAT PART at the end of Where the Red Fern Grows.  We had been reading the book out loud together in class, round robin style, and the day we got to that part, only the boys volunteered to read because ALL of the girls, myself included, were crying.  So sad!

I thought I might like The Yearling because it's similar to Where the Red Fern Grows, but that book just pissed me off, especially the end.  I was like, "You killed your pet deer?!  YOU KILLED YOUR PET DEER!!!"  No.  Done.

I just found Anne of Green Gables boring.  Not my kind of book.  I'm not big on historical fiction, even though I love learning about history, and a lot of the books I was forced to read in school and did not like were either historical fiction or just OLD and dated.
~Julie

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 11:28:45 PM »

Is that fanfic?  Where can I find those?  I haven't read any HP fanfic in years, but I would love to read a well-done Marauder-era series, if that's what it is, since it doesn't sound like JKR will ever write one.

It is a fanfic of sorts, he originally wrote the stories for his wife and kids (they are about Harry's son James -- not father... so not Marauder-era, but still good), and he was initially sued by JK Rowling until he apparently offered to send her a copy of the first book and she has since allowed him to continue writing, but not profit from the stories.  The first book is James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing -- it can be found in PDF version at this link;

www.speedbumps tudios.com/chapters/JPHEC.pdf
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:06:32 AM »

Ohhh, SON James, not dad James... got it.  I had never heard about that - guess I've been kind of out of the Harry Potter news loop in the last year or so.  It's not quite the same without new books and movies to look forward to. :(  Thanks for the link; I might check it out.
~Julie

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »

I never read  Anne of Green Gables  but I LOVED the very short lived disney tv show.

I would have to remeber if there are any books I hate or dislike.