Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The Stephen King thread!  (Read 7237 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: The Stephen King thread!
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »

Did you all see that JJ Abrams is in talks to make 11/22/63 into a TV show? I really hope this happens! I can see it actually working because of the length of the novel and subject matter. It would be really easy to keep him in the past as long as they needed to as long as they kept the integrity of the book as they did it. No people living who die or happy happy endings etc... lol

OMG I'd love that! I know there's the whole Under the Dome show too but I would love 11/22/63 as a show WAY more.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »

Has anyone picked up SK's new one, Joyland?  I haven't yet, but I may at some point this summer.  I like the retro look of it.  Judging by 11/22/63, he does retro well.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »

He also co-wrote a musical with T Bone Burnett and John Mellancamp about twin brothers who die and come back to haunt a cabin. I was thinking about it getting Joyland, but I think I might get the new Dan Brown book first. I got about $50 worth of B&N gift cards so might get both, although there's also that new book from the guy who wrote The Kite Runner too!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »

Interesting... I didn't know he'd co-written a musical!  Pretty cool.  I caught part of an interview with him on the Today show the other day where he was talking about how he gets inspired by images and excavates the stories that go with them, almost like digging fossils.  I wish I had that kind of creativity LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »

Me too!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2013, 05:51:21 AM »

So, I did buy Joyland and am about halfway through it. It's a good read so far. Nothing really suspenseful has happened. It's basically about a 21 year old and his summer working at an amusement park. It's a coming of age type story. There was a mention of a murder in the horror house and a ghost that still roams around there but it really hasn't been the central part of the story. It reminds me a bit of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon which is another SK novel I loved. Not sure why there is a hard case crime banner on the book and the girl looking horrified on the cover. It's kind of misleading and I can see how SK horror lovers might be disappointed if they go for this one in hopes of gore etc... I mean it might be coming, it IS Stephen King lol but as of now, not too much.

It's a sweet story and probably a quick read.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »

Thanks for the review!  I'm trying to get through some of the books I've had lying around here that I haven't read yet, but once I run out of things to read, I'll probably pick it up.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2013, 05:30:15 AM »

"The last good time always comes, and when you see the darkness creeping towards you, you hold on to what was bright and good. You hold on for dear life." ~ Stephen King's Joyland

Excellent book, I give it two thumbs up. You'll need tissues at the end.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »

I will have to look out for that one when I go shopping :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2017, 09:13:56 PM »

I started reading "It" back in March, and I am only just halfway through it... OMG, it is so long LOL.  I haven't been reading it consistently, obviously; it was slow-going at first, but I've gotten back into it and made more progress lately, and it is getting a lot better.  I want to finish it before the new movie comes out this fall.  I've actually never seen the 90s miniseries in its entirety, only bits and pieces, so I want to watch that too once I'm done with the book.  Anyone else read it or looking forward to the movie?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2017, 04:01:20 AM »

I read it a very long time ago. My sister is reading it now and said the same thing. Stephen King tends to write really long novels. lol

I enjoyed the mini series. The movie looks horrifying. I'm not sure if I'll be watching that one or not.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »

He does, but the other super long ones I've read (like 11/22/63 and The Stand) have been among his best, so I'm hoping It will be too.  I thought 11/22/63 was paced really well, but I remember The Stand being slow in the beginning too and then being epic once you got to the end.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »

I'd like to read IT.  I saw the mini series and loved it and am looking forward to the new movie.

11/22/63 is one of my favourite books.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]