Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 13587 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »

I am just starting I Walked Alone by Mary Higgins Clark... love her stuff.   I need to finish the one on my kindle so I can start the next one Body Movers by Stephanie Bond.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »

I'm reading Divergent by Veronica Roth.  I've not got that far into it yet, but it reminds me a little of The Hunger Games (which I loved).

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »

I LOVED Divergent I bought Insurgent as soon as I was finished with it and am eagerly anticipating the third book coming out this October!  :)  

I am currently reading The Selection.   

I need more ideas for books.  I have some saved on goodreads as want to read but then I read reviews and get turned off.  *sigh*   
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 04:35:19 PM »

I'm enjoying it, I'm about half way through now.

I've also just bought the first Games of Thrones book, so will read that once I'm done with Divergent.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »

I just finished reading "Dad is Fat," which is a memoir by the comedian Jim Gaffigan (the Hot Pockets guy - "Deeeeeead pocket...") about being a parent of five kids.  I am not a parent, but I do like kids and like Jim Gaffigan and like celebrity autographs, so when I saw via Twitter that he was offering autographed book plates to anyone who pre-ordered his book, I pre-ordered it!  It was a good read!  Funny stuff.  Would definitely recommend to people who are parents or spend a lot of time around little kids - you'll definitely relate!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 09:57:28 PM »

And since I forgot this thread existed, I read another book earlier in the month called "Me Before You" by JoJo Moyes.  It's a story about a twenty-something girl who loses her job and goes to work as a companion for a thirty-something guy who became a quadriplegic in an accident.  It's kind of a Debbie Downer book (which of course is my favorite kind), but has some humor to lighten it up, and the characters are great.  It wasn't as good as The Fault in Our Stars, but along those lines.  I plowed through it in just a few days, so I must have liked it!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

That sounds interesting. I saw Jim Gaffigan talking about his book on The Daily Show the other night. I had a feeling it would be a funny read.

I am currently reading Inferno by Dan Brown. I'm only on chapter 7 but the action starts right away!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »

It's funny because there are whole passages from his book that are verbatim part of his stand-up routines.  I had to re-watch his "Mr. Universe" stand-up special on Netflix halfway through reading this book because I was like, "These jokes sound really familiar..."  And sure enough!  Same exact jokes.  But that makes it fun because you can just hear how he tells them as you're reading them in the book.  And obviously there's more new material in the book.  It was definitely funny.

I haven't read a Dan Brown book since The DaVinci Code, which I enjoyed - maybe I should check that out!  What's it about?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 04:40:38 AM »

It's too soon for me to get a sense what it's really about yet but it is a Robert Langdon book.

All I know so far is he wakes up in a hospital with no memory of why at all he is there. He thinks he's in Boston but he's in Italy and was shot in the head and suddenly a women bursts into his room and tries to kill him so my guess the fun is going to come in flashback as he begins to regain his memory.

You should probably read The Lost Symbol before this one because it's the third one in the series after the Lost Symbol which was also very good and action packed.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 05:34:19 AM »

Yeah, I probably should.  I haven't read Angels and Demons either, though I did see the movie.    I should probably go back and read them all in order.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 05:56:49 AM »

Yes, Angels and Demons I kind of liked that one more than The DaVinci Code, it didn't feel as attached to these others though.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »

I've got three Dan Brown books but haven't got around to reading them yet.  I'm reading Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult and about halfway through it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

I liked that book! Up next after Inferno is The Storyteller by Jodi P! I am saving what is probably the best, for last!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »

I liked Angels & Demons more too.  I want to read the new one.  It is in my list to buy for my summer weekend trips coming up.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »

I am actually having a heck of a time getting through Inferno. It's fast paced from the start but I am still not able to fully get into it. I started it well over a month ago and I have only now just reached the halfway mark. Normally it takes me less than a week to get through a book. I feel like he's cramming too much useless information in this one and it takes place in Italy so there's a lot of translation which kind of breaks up the flow. No idea but I am still waiting for it to suck me in! LOL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13