Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 13682 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »

I'm about halfway through The Storyteller by Jodi Piccoult and wow it's a pretty intense book. Very different from anything I have ever read by her before.

It's about an old man who asks a baker to help him die. He confesses that he used to be a Nazi and just like all her books it's told through many points of view but when they do his it gets really intense and of course disturbing. I have had this book for a long time and never really had a chance to let myself get sucked in but now I'm officially sucked. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »

Sounds like a good book, I've read a few of hers and really enjoyed them.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »

I love her stuff. Usually they end up in a courtroom but so far this isn't the case.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »

I'm not a fan of courtroom stuff, unless it's only a small part of the story.  The last one of hers I read was Salem Falls (I think that was the name)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »

This one is intense! I have been pretty much reading it all day. It might become my second favorite after Nineteen Minutes. It might even end up surpassing Nineteen Minutes! Which is like...woah! lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »

Definitely need to read that one too!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 05:07:57 PM »

Finished The Storyteller and it's my new favorite Jodi Picoult book, just beating out Nineteen Minutes. It was an incredibly intense and disturbing read, especially the second part. (It's split into three parts) 

The second part is a flashback to being sent to Auschwitz and it was so real, I felt like I was there. I had nightmares about it.

It's written from at least 4 points of view just like all Jodi's books. One being the Nazi and one being the survivor. Really incredible story.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »

I just started reading The First Phone Call from Heaven and it's really interesting. I was kind of hesitant to read it because I didn't really want it to be a sequel to the Five People You Meet in Heaven but thankfully it's not. I loved that first book and when I saw he was writing another 'heaven' themed book I panicked lol

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »

I've been reading a lot lately, it's a good activity when I'm awake at 2, 4/5, 6/7, in the morning and easy to turn the pages with my kindle. heh.  I just finished Queen of Babble, it was a nice quick "junk food" read.  Which is good, can't read anything to 'demanding' when I'm reading so late/early and am tired. :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »

I've hardly read anything recently, but have just treated myself to Joyland by Stephen King, so will make a start on that.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »

That was a pretty awesome book! Joyland.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »

I'll try and start it if I ever get off the phone to my sister lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 06:52:28 AM »

Three books to talk about. Two great and one horrid!

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins was a great read. Lots of suspense and I had fun trying to guess the murderer throughout. I'm usually good with figuring that out, but I didn't guess correctly until almost the point of reveal.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tart Good lord, avoid this book like the plague. It's completely pointless, way too needlessly wordy and just overall 700 plus pages of time I will never get back. Still not as horrid as Twilight. The writer is very good, but yeah...stay away lol

Finders Keepers by Stephen King is awesome. I'm almost done with it. It's kind of a sequel to Mr. Mercedes but you can easily read it without reading the first one because it's not so much a sequel but more just another circumstance with the same characters.

I need another book to read. Any suggestions? I'm in the mood to read a fast paced book. Suspense, action type thing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:54:00 AM by mare »

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:40 AM »

YA but have you read The Maze Runner yet? I couldn't put it down and the entire series was just as good I thought. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 05:50:15 AM »

No, I haven't read that one. I do have the movie in my Netflix queue. I didn't know it was a book series. I enjoy YA novels usually.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13