Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 13841 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »

I'm not sure about fourth graders. I'll have to ask them what they're reading and get back to you. I am always asking the kids what they are reading. Most of the kids love the sci fi multi series books. My older kids are constantly giving me recommendation s and they all have told me I need to read The Fifth Wave, so I bought it today, along with the new Stephen King book. I almost picked up Paper Towns, but I really didn't think it sounded all that interesting. I wanted to see Me and Earl when it came out  but I never did. I agree with you though. If someone is dying of cancer, there needs to be at least some tears lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2015, 09:04:36 PM »

A lot of my kids read the big fantasy series too.  Other than Harry Potter, I'm not big on those.  I usually end up reading the first book in the series and then not caring enough to continue LOL.  Several of my girls have been obsessed with a book called Deep Blue, which is about mermaids.  I haven't heard of The Fifth Wave - what's that one about?

I think that was my main problem with Me and Earl; it went so far out of its way to avoid being another "tragic teen cancer romance" that the main character didn't even seem to care that much about "The Dying Girl," which was disappointing to me.  I think that was the point, but I prefer tragic romance.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »

The Fifth Wave is about an alien invasion. It's really a very dark book so far lol really well written and very creative. I'm not that far in but I'll give a more detailed review when I'm done.

That deep blue book does sound familiar.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »

Ohh, they're making a movie of that!  I saw the preview before Star Wars; I just didn't remember the title.  It looks good!  Let me know how it is when you're far enough into it.  It sounds like something I'd like.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »

I just finished The Fifth Wave and it was excellent. I really think everyone who posts in here would enjoy it. There was so much action and the story itself is pretty original and intense while still maintaining the whole young adult thing. A girl obsessing over a boy who barely even noticed her existence in high school as the apocalypse is occurring lol not in a twilighty way but a well thought out plot driven way. Of course like all YA novels, this is a series so now I have to track down the next book!

I have Stephen Kings The Bizarre of Bad Dreams to tackle next.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2016, 10:56:08 PM »

I finished the Kindle sample of The Fifth Wave the other day and loved it!  I will definitely buy it and keep reading.  I like how the first person narration kept it relatable even though the world she's living in is so different and intense.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2016, 09:16:44 AM »

I love when books are written in first person. You know I love writing in it as well lol

Not to give anything away, but this story is told by 4 different people and all the voices are clear and fit with their characters perfectly!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2016, 12:03:58 PM »

I'm currently reading The Girl on The Train and am hooked, not seen the film yet and won't until I've finished the book.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2016, 04:09:07 PM »

That was a great book! I'm not sure if I'd like it in movie form. I've been trying to get through The Light Between Oceans. It's been slow going for me.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2016, 09:23:31 PM »

I loved the book The Girl on the Train!  I wanted to see the movie, but haven't yet... will probably wait for DVD at this point.  It looked like a pretty good adaptation from the trailers I saw though.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »

The movie is a let down compared to the book, I left the cinema wishing I'd seen the new Jack Reacher film instead!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2016, 09:37:13 PM »

Aw, that's too bad.  I still haven't seen it, not sure if it's out on DVD yet.

You know what movie adaptation of a book I really liked?  Me Before You.  I read that book a few years ago, I think maybe the same summer I read The Fault in Our Stars.  I liked it, but haven't reread it, so I've probably forgotten a lot of the details, but the movie captured everything I remembered about it really well.  Emilia Clarke was fantastic in it.  It was more funny than sad, which it something I forgot about the book, but I really like that combination.  That's what makes Fault in Our Stars so good too and sets it apart in its genre.  Anyway, if you've read Me Before You but haven't seen the movie yet, you should watch it!  And if you haven't read the book, it's worth a read too.

I'm not really reading anything right now, which is sad.  I think the last book I started was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  I'd heard great things about that book, but I only got about a third of the way into it, and it's been sitting on my nightstand for a few months.  Has anyone else read it?  Is it worth finishing?  My plan was to read it before the movie came out, but I obviously failed at that LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »

I haven't read that one yet, but it's been on my list. My reading has been very slow lately. It took me forever to get through The Light Between Oceans. I wasn't a fan and probably won't be watching the movie any time soon. I'm currently reading I'll Take You There by Wally Lamb and I'm really loving it, but I adore Wally Lamb.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »

I've seen Me Before You and really loved that one, but not read the book yet.

I've hardly read anything recently, must get back into a good book.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2021, 05:58:48 PM »

I have read plenty of books this year but I truly think you’ll all love Falling by TJ Newman. It’s such a great suspense and I hate her for writing such a great debut book.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13