Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 13729 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2021, 10:27:46 PM »

It sounds really good!  I'll have to check it out.

The last book I finished was "Where the Crawdads Sing," which was good, but not a page-turner.  It got better as it went along, and I liked the ending, but I could definitely use a good thriller that moves faster.  I'm reading a YA novel called "We Were Liars" right now that a teacher friend of mine recommended.  It's okay so far; I'm not that far into it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2021, 10:38:25 PM »

Crawdad had a very slow start. It took me awhile to get through it. I was happy the way it ended.

To give you an idea of how fast paced this book is. This is the first line “The shoe dropped into her lap; the foot was still in it.” lol

I’ll have to check out “We were Liars” I have the YA novel “ They Both Die at the End” sitting on my bookshelf.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 10:40:23 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2021, 10:41:47 PM »

OMG LOL.  Sounds like my kind of book!  I looked it up on Amazon after I saw you recommend it on social media and saw it described as "Speed on a plane."  Sold!  Speed is one of my favorite movies; I love stuff like that.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2021, 05:56:28 AM »

It is very Speed on a plane. That’s a great description actually lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2021, 11:08:41 AM »

To give you an idea of how fast paced this book is. This is the first line “The shoe dropped into her lap; the foot was still in it.” lol

LMFAO!

I'm almost done with "Solutions and Other Problems." I started it in October when I bought it; I am a very slow reader, lol. Which is crazy, because it's like her blog, so it's pictures and words.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2021, 06:31:07 PM »

I've read shockingly few books during the pandemic, but I blame most of that on Where the Crawdads sing LOL.  I started it last summer, read it very sporadically, and only finished it this summer, but instead of making myself plow through it faster or putting it aside and reading something else, I just didn't read.  I need a good page-turner to get me back in the habit.  I guess I did read a few YA/middle-grade novels for school, and I also re-read all of Dan Bergstein's "Blogging Twilight" when it was released as an official e-book.  That one was way longer than Crawdads, but so much more entertaining LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »

I've seen y'all talk about it and it sounds hilarious, but I did not know it existed when it was free. And I don't know that it would be hilarious enough to buy.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »

It is, trust me!  I actually had the whole thing saved off SparkNotes and made my own ebook version of it for myself years ago, and I still paid $9.99 or whatever it was to have the official version from Amazon.  I've read it in its entirety at least three times, so it was worth every penny to me.  It's way more entertaining than the actual Twilight saga LOL.  Just as the Twilight books get crazier as they go on, Blogging Twilight only gets better and funnier as it goes.  It's so great!
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »

Alright, I will consider it if you say so; I trust you. They do get crazier and crazier.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2021, 10:12:45 PM »

For your consideration, here is an excerpt I tweeted last year when I was rereading it: https://twitter.com/RokofAges75/status/1298793461416632321
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2021, 05:51:40 AM »

I'm reading a YA novel called "We Were Liars" right now that a teacher friend of mine recommended.  It's okay so far; I'm not that far into it.

I ended up really liking this book!  I just finished it.  It was kind of a slow burn at first, took me time to get into it and see where it was going, but once I got about to the halfway point, I couldn't put it down.  It was a good mystery.

I think "Falling" is next on my reading list!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2021, 04:59:27 PM »

I have read so many books like that. Slow start then halfway through a page turner. The Guest List and Turn of the Screw were both like that.

I’m currently reading the Million in one boy which is pretty good. I loved Eleanor Oliphant. That was a great one if you guys have never read it before.

Let me know what you think once you’ve read Falling.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »

For your consideration, here is an excerpt I tweeted last year when I was rereading it: https://twitter.com/RokofAges75/status/1298793461416632321

Haha, oh Twilight...
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2021, 03:32:15 PM »

Let me know what you think once you’ve read Falling.

I just finished it!  Wow, wow, wow!  You were right; it was such a great page-turner and thriller!
 "Speed" on a plane really is a perfect description of it.  I loved it!  It was intense and emotional, and I loved the characters.  Highly recommend for anyone else who's looking for a quick, exciting read!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2021, 06:49:45 PM »

It was a fast read, right? I’m so glad you liked it. When I talked about it on Twitter, she liked my tweet and thanked me so now I feel like we are BFFs well her and Devon Sawa lol
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13