Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 13204 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2021, 09:07:45 PM »

I wasn’t a huge fan of IT either. In general I tend to love his non horror stories over the flat out horror ones. 11/22/63 is my favorite one of his.

11/22/63 is probably my favorite too!  It's hard to pick though.  The Stand, Misery, and 'Salem's Lot are all up there as well.

Depends on how much you'd be sad if you were spoiled? lol

I did this recently with an Audio book that the teacher I was subbing for in our Summer Camp played while he was driving and only because it was a children's book with something like "The robot eyed the carnage... blah blah blah" as one of the lines, and obviously, if this audio book is missing the last disc of chapters, I needed to find out what happened to this robot (but not enough to buy it and read it, obviously, lol). I think there was a part later on that talked about what animals looked like frozen in snow and a predator describing eating prey... it was delightfully dark for a middle grade story, lol.

I decided I didn't care enough about it to care about being spoiled, so I did look it up on Wikipedia, but the plot summary was just the same synopsis as on Amazon, which doesn't give away the ending.  So I guess I'll never know how it ends, unless I decide to finish reading it someday.  We'll see.

Wow, robots and dead animals?  That does sound dark for a children's book, but some of them are.  I read a Louis Sachar book called "Fuzzy Mud" this past year that was pretty unsettling for a middle grade novel.  It was about an outbreak of microorganisms that cause horrible side effects when they come into contact with humans.  Great sci-fi thriller for middle grades.

Do you buy all your books too, Julie? And how long does it typically take you to read?

Yeah, for the most part.  I should use the library more.  I like to collect them, though, and reread the good ones.  How long it takes me to read varies depending on the book and how much time I have.  I can get through a page-turner in a few days; I read the entire last Harry Potter book the day it came out.  But if it doesn't hold my attention, it can take me months to get through a book.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2021, 10:00:25 PM »

I decided I didn't care enough about it to care about being spoiled, so I did look it up on Wikipedia, but the plot summary was just the same synopsis as on Amazon, which doesn't give away the ending.  So I guess I'll never know how it ends, unless I decide to finish reading it someday.  We'll see.

I bet if you googled the title and "chapter summary," you could get the rest. That's what I did for the robot book once I figured out its title, lol.

Wow, robots and dead animals?  That does sound dark for a children's book, but some of them are.  I read a Louis Sachar book called "Fuzzy Mud" this past year that was pretty unsettling for a middle grade novel.  It was about an outbreak of microorganisms that cause horrible side effects when they come into contact with humans.  Great sci-fi thriller for middle grades.

The robot accidentally caused a rock slide that killed a colony of geese by crushing them. (among other things) The carnage! So a sci-fi thriller zombie book for middle grades? Perfect. Probably not great to read during a pandemic though, lol.

Yeah, for the most part.  I should use the library more.  I like to collect them, though, and reread the good ones.  How long it takes me to read varies depending on the book and how much time I have.  I can get through a page-turner in a few days; I read the entire last Harry Potter book the day it came out.  But if it doesn't hold my attention, it can take me months to get through a book.

I was trying to decide if it was worth it to just buy books or to try and wait for them at the library... I guess it depends on how new the books are, probably... If they're older, they're probably not too bad to get, but if they're newer, it would probably just be faster to buy them and see what happened. And hey, if I didn't like it, then I could donate it to the library for all those people waiting to read it.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2021, 12:41:26 AM »

I bet if you googled the title and "chapter summary," you could get the rest. That's what I did for the robot book once I figured out its title, lol.

I tried this and still didn't find a spoiler for the ending, but the reviews on its GoodReads page are terrible, which reminds me why I quit reading it in the first place.

The robot accidentally caused a rock slide that killed a colony of geese by crushing them. (among other things) The carnage! So a sci-fi thriller zombie book for middle grades? Perfect. Probably not great to read during a pandemic though, lol.

OMG!  Poor geese. :(

No zombies in Fuzzy Mud; it's much more realistic, which makes it scarier.  A couple of the kids go blind!  It has a happy ending, but the path to get there is pretty dark.  Definitely not the kind of book to read during a pandemic, as the whole town gets quarantined during the end.  I enjoyed reading it myself though!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2021, 02:57:19 AM »

One of the very first things I did here was get a library card, although because of COVID, I have yet to physically go to one. I enjoy buying books and displaying them on my bookshelves and also being able to share them with people which is one of the reasons why I stopped using my Nook. I just enjoy the feel of a book in my hands and knowing I can pass it off to someone else to borrow after talking about it incessantly lol

I have always been a kind of fast reader but since I’ve been ‘retired’ I’ve gotten even faster.

Both of those books sound pretty dark but those tweens overall have gotten pretty dark themselves. I was kind of amazed at how many of my students from fourth grade up used to play that Freddy something or other video game. Do you guys know what I’m talking about?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2021, 03:26:07 AM »

Oh yes... Five Nights at Freddy's!  I haven't heard about that one in a few years, but my students used to be obsessed.  I get it; I always liked the dark stuff, too.  I grew up watching horror movies and reading R.L. Stine books.  Goosebumps is pretty tame, but I had moved on to the Fear Street books by 5th grade, and those are full of blood, gore, violence, and murder.  I found Lurlene McDaniel's books much scarier though LOL.  I was the kid who lay awake worrying about cancer and diabetes, not ghost and monsters.  Not every kid can handle the dark stuff, but I'm glad there is material out there for the ones who love it.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2021, 06:44:57 AM »

I finished “They Both Die at the End” and big surprise… they both die at the end lol

That being said, I highly recommend this one. It’s a very fast YA read and has a great and very original plot that I’m kind of jealous I didn’t think up first! It’s about a new mandatory app everyone has to have called Death Cast which will call you on the day you are going die. This way you can live your last day however you want.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2021, 02:30:33 PM »

I need to read that Falling book, sounds like I'd like it.

I'm currently reading one called The Other Bennet Sister which is a different version of Pride and Prejudice and told from Mary's point of view.  It's alright but isn't a really gripping story and I've noticed a few grammatical errors in it too lol.  But if you love Pride and Prejudice you'd probably like it and it only cost 99p on Kindle

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2021, 10:53:26 PM »

Falling was awesome!

I couldn't get through Pride and Prejudice even with zombies in it LOL, so I think I'll skip The Other Bennet Sister.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »

I actually like the Pride & Prejudice with Zombies movie  :D it was better than I expected lol

I downloaded a sample of Falling and read the first few pages and liking it so far, so will buy it

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2021, 10:55:09 PM »

I never ended up seeing that movie.  I did buy the book, and I didn't get very far into it.  I love the concept, but not even the zombies could keep me from getting bored LOL.

I finally went back to the Walking Dead comics and am trying to finish those before the show ends.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2021, 05:58:58 PM »

I’ve never been a pride and prejudice girl. I can’t see myself getting into it. Just finished and really enjoyed Chasing the Boogeyman and have just started The Book of Lost Things. Still haven’t read the new Stephen King. I’m saving that for last of the books I have.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2021, 01:53:37 AM »

I need to go get some books. Usually I order them from thriftbooks.co m cause if you spend 10$ it's free shipping and then I'll order like 5 lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2021, 10:38:08 PM »

I always loved Pride and Prejudice. They're both flawed with varying degrees of pride and prejudice, you say? Count me in.

I finally finished Solutions and Other Problems almost a year later, so my plan to read is not going well, lol. I'm sad to hear that they both died in the end, Mare. Who would have seen that coming?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2021, 10:46:58 PM »

We got the choice to read either Pride and Prejudice or Frankenstein for my Brit Lit class in high school, and of course I chose Frankenstein.  I didn't love that book either, but after reading part of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I felt I made the right choice.  I also read Wuthering Heights for that class, and I did like that one.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2021, 01:20:58 PM »

I haven't read P&P&Z, but I've read all the others you mentioned. I do enjoy a good classic Brit Lit.

Have you seen the Drunk History episode about Mary Shelley writing Frankenstein? It's hilarious!
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13