Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 13597 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2022, 10:19:12 AM »

That was my thought, too, that she would be the most obvious one because she's the most famous by far.  As I've read further, it's definitely her character that Dani is based on, so that must be the reason.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2022, 02:48:28 AM »

I'm currently reading The Stand by Stephen King.  It took me a while to get into it as I only tend to read a few pages a night, and it's a massive book, but I'm enjoying it now.  It will probably take me ages to finish though lol

I've got a sample of The Final Girl, so will read that one once I'm done as it sounds like I'd like it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2022, 08:50:52 PM »

I loved The Stand!  I've only read it once because it's so long, but it was one of my favorites by King.  It did take me some time to get into it, but once I did, it was absolutely worth the read.  It's epic!

I'm still slowly working my way through Final Girl.  I'm like you, Steph, where lately I've only been reading a few pages a night (and not every night), so it's taking me way longer to read than it should.  It's not the best book I've ever read, but I'm enjoying it.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2022, 06:39:00 PM »

The Stand was one of my favorite of his books but I remember it was really intimidating to see how many pages it was. A lot of his books are like that. I remember feeling the same way about The Tommyknockers although that wasn’t nearly as good.

I remember going through phases where it would take me forever to get through a book but now it seems that’s all I’m able to do is read lol I hope you both enjoy Final Girl. Like Julie said, it’s not the best thing ever but I found it enjoyable and kind of funny.

I think you’d both enjoy Good Neighbors as well.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2023, 06:44:09 AM »

I'm currently reading Daisy Jones & The Six as I absolutely loved the TV series.  I'm enjoying it, but I think if I hadn't seen the TV show I would've found it a bit strange with the way it's written. 

It's still taking me forever to read a book as I only read a couple of pages a night when I go to bed.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2023, 08:14:28 PM »

It's still taking me forever to read a book as I only read a couple of pages a night when I go to bed.

This is me!  I read in bed, and it makes me so sleepy, I usually only get through a few pages at a time.  I'm currently in the middle of Stephen King's "Fairy Tale."  I really liked the first part of it, but I'm struggling to stay interested through the middle, so it's taking me forever to finish it.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2023, 08:26:08 AM »

This is me!  I read in bed, and it makes me so sleepy, I usually only get through a few pages at a time.  I'm currently in the middle of Stephen King's "Fairy Tale."  I really liked the first part of it, but I'm struggling to stay interested through the middle, so it's taking me forever to finish it.

I was exactly the same with Fairy Tale, loved it until about halfway through and then really struggled to keep going.  I did stick with it and it got better towards the end.  Took me months to read it though! 

I still only read a few pages when I go to bed and I'm tired.

I'm now reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom as I think I saw that Mare had enjoyed it, and it came up on Kindle for 99p so not much to lose if I don't like it.  I'm about 30% into it and enjoying it so far.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2023, 09:37:52 PM »

Ugh, I still haven't finished Fairy Tale!  Stephen King just released a new novel, and I want to read it, but I won't let myself until I finish Fairy Tale... and then I'm afraid to because some of his books take me so long to finish.  I took forever to finish "It" a few years back, too.  I feel like I may need to switch gears and read something faster-paced for my next book.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #173 on: September 12, 2023, 09:41:05 AM »

Some of his books I've got through quicker than others.  I've seen that he has a new book, I may get the sample on Kindle to see what it's like.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2023, 11:47:59 AM »

I’m so glad you’re reading the Five People You Meet in Heaven, Steph! It’s one of the few books I’ve read many many times. It lifts me up when I’m feeling down.

I enjoyed FairyTale but I know what you’re both talking about.

Julie, you probably shouldn’t read Holly, unless you’ve read the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I haven’t read Holly yet but I’m looking forward to it, although I heard that’s it’s a bit on the gory side.

I haven’t been here in a while. It was nice seeing some semi recent postings. I think I might start writing again. I don’t sleep at all at night so I might as well try my hand at writing again. I don’t remember the name of that site we all moved over too lol I’m so rusty. I’m not even sure if my computer has Word. 🤷‍♀️
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2023, 08:11:17 PM »

I have not read Mr. Mercedes, so I will hold off on Holly.  I didn't realize it was related, so thanks!

I was happy to see your tweet the other day about writing again!  I hope you give it a shot!  Archive of Our Own is the site we all moved over to. https://archiveofourown.org/  If your computer doesn't have Word, use Google Docs!  It's very similar to Word and saves automatically, which is nice - no more risk of losing stuff if the computer randomly shuts down.  It will open Word docs, so you can upload your old documents to Google Drive if you want to look at anything you had in progress.  It's a bit of an adjustment at first, but once you get used to it, you won't even want to go back to Word.  My computer doesn't have Word either, and I don't miss it.  OpenOffice is another word processor you can download for free if you don't like Google Docs.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2023, 03:45:03 PM »

I’m using Word but I might try google docs. It’s all such an adjustment. It’s been such a long time that I forgot what the short cuts were to copy and paste lol

I’m really rusty writing wise but I got my first chapter up and am almost done with the second. I haven’t gotten a writing groove but maybe it’ll happen again eventually.

It’s hard to say if anyone is reading but I’m going to go by hits I guess? Im still trying to figure out AO3. It’s a big site. Never realized it had so many fandoms.

As far as Stephen King. Mr. Mercedes is a trilogy actually.

It’s Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch. Technically it’s called the Bill Hodges trilogy. They’re fantastic.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2023, 02:23:36 PM »

LOL That is exactly how I felt when I started playing The Sims again for the first time in decades.  Not the same thing, obviously, but I had to look up all the cheat codes I used to know by heart and how to enter them.  It does come back to you, though.  It takes a while for something to become a habit, so stick with it!  It'll get easier in time!

I'm glad you were able to get two chapters done so quickly, and I saw that you already have comments and kudos, so you're off to a great start!  AO3 is a HUGE site.  I'm sure it varies from fandom to fandom, but they seem to place more emphasis on kudos than comments.  I get far fewer comments there than I used to here, and many of the people who have commented on my stuff are friends who followed me there from here.  (Thanks, Steph! LOL)  Yet, if you sort by comments, the stories I've written since I started posting on AO3 are among the most commented BSB fics, so I can't complain.  It just seems like there are a lot more silent readers there than there were here because we always made such a big deal out of leaving reviews.  I still miss it here!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2023, 02:39:50 PM »

Yeah, I kind of figured that comments were going to be a rarity. I’ve only gotten one. The other was my reply to the first one lol I hit reply but it came up as it’s own comment. I’m kind of going by kudos and hits. I already surpassed Why I’d do it all again in both those things and I’m only two chapters in so I’m taking that as a sign. Hopefully I’ll develop a following and some interaction hopefully.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2023, 08:46:08 AM »

Nice to see you're writing again Mare, I'll have to have a look :)

I'm still catching up on Julie's, I read a chapter last night now that I've finished the other book I was reading (one by Cecelia Ahern called The Year I Met You, which I quite enjoyed)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13