Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Felix Awards 2012 press room!  (Read 35422 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Felix Awards 2012 press room!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 01:39:49 AM »

I've just woke up and had a look, well done everyone and also a huge thanks to whoever voted for my stuff :)

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »

A big, big thank you to all of those who voted for me!  I was psyched to just get nominated, but then to scroll down and see my story title and name as runner-up to evergreenwrite r just made my day!  I also have to comment on the fact that there are lots of little hearts dotting the 'i's on my banner, which is fun for a story in the Romance category :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »

Congrats Hannah and Jen on your win for Gumshoes! :) And Steph for your win for Action/Adventure author. Loving this so far!

Congrats to you too Steph, and everyone else :)

Wish I could've been online whilst the awards were being announced, but it was the middle of the night here.

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »

why am I not surprised?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »

~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »

Doesn't matter.
Congrats to the people who won ... Again.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »

Doesn't matter.
Congrats to the people who won ... Again.

Are you implying those who won didn't deserve to win? Because they won before? I'm sorry because if you are, that's incredibly insulting to those who did. I mean if you're gonna be snarky like this, at least have the gumption to explain yourself.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »

I am not trying to insult anyone. I do feel that the same people win over and over. I'm sure they deserve it but I think there are others who deserve recognition. And before you assume it, I am not talking about myself. I don't do this for any accolades. I do it because it's fun for me and allows me to escape reality for a little while.

Don't worry Rose. I won't be coming back here. I knew I was better off staying away from this forum and I see now I was right.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »

So because someone you wanted to win didn't...you're writing off the forum. Maybe people win repeatedly cause they're talented and people enjoy their work. To be honest, the results mirror those other awards in a couple ways. A lot of writers deserve to win but not everyone can. These aren't supposed to be dramatic,  its supposed to be fun.

I write because I love it. Always have, always will.

But ya know, I also don't assume I or anyone else will win. So I'm always surprised by the results in a good way. You can feel how you want, but I do think you're upset when you shouldn't be. Just cause writers won before doesn't mean they don't have other works just as worthy.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »

Can I just say how completely shocked I was to win Best sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural story! I didn't think that many people were reading the story/knew the story honestly.  I was up against some outstanding authors and some great stories.  And Steph and I got 2 runner up nods for our collaboration and it's the first we've done! Such a great surprise in those areas as well.    Thank you everyone for nominating me and for voting.  I hope I continue to write stories that you can enjoy.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »

I am not trying to insult anyone. I do feel that the same people win over and over. I'm sure they deserve it but I think there are others who deserve recognition. And before you assume it, I am not talking about myself. I don't do this for any accolades. I do it because it's fun for me and allows me to escape reality for a little while.

Don't worry Rose. I won't be coming back here. I knew I was better off staying away from this forum and I see now I was right.

I don't disagree with you - a lot of the same people win. Ultimately, it's the readers and writers who choose the nominees and choose the winners. It's impossible to get away from the "popularity contest", as it were, because that's what it comes down to when you consider that it's vote-based.

I can honestly say though that some of these categories were won by VERY slim margins. If more people had actually bothered to participate in the voting portion the results may have been surprisingly different. One or two people could have changed the outcome in a lot of categories.

I don't know why you feel you should stay away, no one attacked you. I was curious because I've looked for feedback every time we've held awards. It's better to not make the comment if you don't want anyone to ask but I don't think it's worth leaving over, you're allowed to feel the way you do.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »

A lot of the same people did win, but a lot of the same people were also nominated.  You can't blame the people who won because, as Julilly said, it's the readers who do the nominating and  the voting.  Sure, you can vote for yourself, but only once, and you're not allowed to nominate yourself, nor is an author/story allowed to win the same award more than once.  So none of these same people have won in the same category for the same story before.

Unfortunately, there just isn't as much variety in the fandom as there used to be.  There are fewer authors still writing and not as many options to choose from in certain genres, which narrows the playing field.  I really had a hard time nominating something in every category this year because I only wanted to nominate well-written, finished, recent stories by authors who are currently writing - I felt it would be more meaningful than nominating old favorites by authors who are unreachable and couldn't care less about BSB fanfic anymore.  But that definitely limited my choices.

In the end, it all comes down to the opinions of those who actually took the time to nominate and vote.  If the awards had been judged, it would have been down to the opinion of a few judges.  Either way, people with differing opinions would probably complain.  It's impossible to please everyone, but the drama takes the fun out of these things.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 01:42:05 AM »

Can I just say how completely shocked I was to win Best sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural story! I didn't think that many people were reading the story/knew the story honestly.  I was up against some outstanding authors and some great stories.  And Steph and I got 2 runner up nods for our collaboration and it's the first we've done! Such a great surprise in those areas as well.    Thank you everyone for nominating me and for voting.  I hope I continue to write stories that you can enjoy.

I was shocked that we got runner-up too, but a nice shocked :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 01:55:48 AM »

As for the same people winning, I feel that comment is unfair.  The people who took part did so fairly and I'm sure no one goes into it expecting to win, after all, it is voted on by the readers. 

I know that I vote for the stories I love, I wouldn't look at the categories and think "well she's never won so I'll vote for her".  If I'm voting for the same people over again it's because I love their stories.  In fact, in some categories there were tough choices to be made.

I enjoy these awards, they're a bit of fun and I hope they'll carry on in the future!
Pages: 1 [2] 3