Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Facing the Music (Nick's book)  (Read 5136 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Facing the Music (Nick's book)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »

I had planned to get this the day it came out, but the bookstore near me didn't get it in so now I've ordered it from Amazon and am (im)patiently waiting for its arrival.

I'll refrain from saying too much about it until I've actually read it, but I'm happy to have knowledge beforehand that it's a lot of self-help stuff. Honestly, I've been hoping for one of the guys to put out a memoir for a long time, so I'm sort of disappointed that this seems like a half-assed version of one. I respect what Nick went through and I'm glad he turned his life around, but what worked for him is not going to work for everyone.

I just really want one of them Kevin to write a book that basically starts every chapter with some event that happened to them and explains the real story.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »

I would love Kevin to write a book! He would tell us the real story about everything and everyone. I think besides him and Nick, the other ones would be kind of boring. LOL Love them though...
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »

If such a file exists that would be awesome! Sadly, I doubt it does. I don't have the new CD yet either, Ritz! I might as well be your next door neighbor. LOL

I would love to be your neighbor! I wish the free pdf will be available. It might take some time, though. There are tons of free pdf in the net. I read two Nicholas Sparks novel.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »

One of my friends tried to send out the eBook version, but it's protected so it didn't work.  I bet a pdf will make its way online eventually.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 12:53:54 PM »

I am not really all that interested in the self help aspect of the book. I'm more interested in the memoir part and his life growing up and how vital the guys were in this. I know he had a really dysfunctional childhood and I'm interested to see how he managed to take some of those things and turn them around. I guess that aspect of self help I don't mind. I'm always curious to see how people who had really horrible childhoods manage to escape that and compare it with my own life and terrible parents. LOL (inappropriate laughter there) I think that's where people might find it helpful. I know it's sad but it's nice to know that somewhere out there, people like Nick have also had to endure some really icky things. It makes you feel connected somehow. In that way, maybe he will be helpful to some. "If Nick did it, I can do it too!" type thing.

I think you will like that aspect of it, Mare.  He talks a lot about how even though his parents were not good parents, he can't use them as an excuse or blame them for all his mistakes.  He talks about choices and taking control of his own life.  In that respect, I think he has good advice for people who got dealt a bad hand of cards growing up.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »

I finished reading this morning and really enjoyed it, although I did skim a bit of the self help stuff as it got repetitive.  Reading his book brought back a lot of crappy memories of my own childhood, and I must admit I actually felt a bit miserable for a little while as I recalled how my family were.

I'm glad he turned his life around and that everything is going great for him these days.  I loved hearing the bits about the other boys too.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »

I was really hoping my book would get here today or yesterday. I wanted to spend the weekend reading it. I have a feeling a lot of what he says about his past is going to hit home for me and I'm also sure I'll be doing a fair share of skimming through the self help part of it. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »

I finally got Nick's book. I had to go to the post office to pick it up. I'm looking forward to reading it but right now I'm so paranoid my internet is going to stop working that I'm watching all my shows first! LMAO sorry Nick. I love you to death but you're not going anywhere.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »

Woohoo! But I agree, watch the TV first :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »

I have a lot of shows to catch up on! LMAO Criminy!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »

Just read the introduction and forward by Howie. First of all, can I just say how much I love Howie? Seriously...lo ve!

Also that intro was perfect letting people know that this was just Nick's opinion on what worked for him and not necessarily meant to be taken like he knows all about everything. That being said, I'm going to dive into it tomorrow. Yay, Nick!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 07:03:58 AM »

I loved Howie's intro too :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »

I had forgotten that Leslie died on my birthday. I'm reading her chapter now.

I am approaching this book the same way I would, reading someone's story and reviewing. I am going to pick each chapter apart and give it the time it deserves and adding my own two cents in the priocess. So, sorry for being wordy but here we go!

I love this part right here: "If you were brought up in a loving, supportive home where you were encouraged to develop your mind and your talents, the way you look at things is most likely going to be different than the way someone who has been abused or neglected looks at things." < This is so true and something I've said more than once. So many people think they understand that but I don't really think they do. You can tell in the passing comments people make or arguments you hear. For the BSB fandom particularly when it comes to the whole Brian and Nick relationship thing. lol

About the staying off meds of any kind thing, once again I get where he's coming from. Having two family members who were on anti psychotic meds most of my life and seeing the side affects of those, I would NEVER want to be put on medication either. My mother is and was a zombie for most of her life. When she wasn't sleeping from the anti depressants, she would just kind of sit and stare at the wall when the other drugs for hearing voices kicked in. Same with my father. Before he killed himself he slept most of the day away.

Maybe it's different for the people who are on them, but being a witness is usually not fun.

I also get why he didn't go to his sister's funeral. I feel bad for him. I'm sure it was a tough choice and I can honestly say I might have done the same thing.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »

Okay back with chapter 2. I felt like I was already familiar with this chapter because this was what most of the interviews he had dealt with. Growing up above the bar and all the partying his parents did etc...

I do get a kick out of the amount of times he says the words "You should consult a therapist." It could almost become a fun little drinking game but doing shots while reading this book would kind of defeat the purpose huh? LOL

I can actually hear him talking as I was reading this chapter. I could see him sitting there shaking his leg nervously like he tends to do. The girl he lived with for two years, was that Willa? I thought it was interesting that he didn't call her by name. He's actually done a great job so far not really calling anyone out in too much of a negative light, besides his father. I'm not sure what had BJ so fired up on twitter unless I'm not there yet. I've only read two chapters lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »

Aww I really loved chapter 3 which of course was what I was most looking forward to. I was hoping for a little more details about Backstreet but maybe that will be coming. I loved his descriptions of each guy and what he had learned from them. Loved how he said he felt like Kevin was an eagle looking down on him. He always reminded me of Sam the Eagle on The Muppets. LOL

I also love how many times he mentioned wanting to be a part of the junior patrol aww, now I know what to get him if I ever meet him and feel inclined to give him something. One of those neon orange things those patrol kids used to wear. Even though they don't let the kids do that anymore. At least not here. Suddenly it's too dangerous, like everything else that used to be just fine before we all became wussies! LOL and one more aww moment when he talked about having his classes in the small trailer so he wouldn't affect the smart kids with his dumbness.

And yay to music changing his life and remembering what teacher gave him his first musical part. Woot!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4