Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Facing the Music (Nick's book)  (Read 5127 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Facing the Music (Nick's book)
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 03:36:41 AM »

Aw Mare, I had no idea about your parents, so I'm guessing that reading this book is hard on you too.  For me, it was a violent father.  He was a high ranking policeman, but used to come home from work late at night, drunk, and used to drag us out of bed just to hit us, sometimes with his leather belt.  Families eh!  I'm the complete opposite of him and my kids would probably say I'm the softest and most easy going mum they could have, it's a happy house here!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 04:01:37 AM »

Aww that's hard, Steph! I think it's awesome that you were able to turn things around and go in the opposite direction from your father. I try to do the same thing when it comes to my family and the way they handled things.

My father was an incredibly scary guy who had a really violent temper but luckily he never took it out on us. He was one of those guys who would destroy things. He once got so mad that he kicked the shit out of the dollhouse my grandfather had bought me until it was completely destroyed. He used to always kick our pets as well. He was an alcoholic on top of everything else. Never once told me he loved me or made me feel safe and has been one of the main reasons that I have yet to be able to maintain any strong relationships with the men in my life. Which I'm sure if I consulted a therapist they'd agree (There ya go Nick, there's your disclaimer!!) lmao

This book is hard to read as I knew it would be. Most of these kinds of books are, which is why I usually stay away from them but it was Nick so I needed to make an exception. I did come from a severely neglectful home. I was almost taken out when my father was arrested and my mother was in a mental institution but they gave me to my grandparents instead until my mother got out of the mental hospital. I sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if they had taken me away from my parents. Despite it all, I think I managed to turn out semi okay but yeah there's a lot of issues. I mean I'm sure everyone is nodding now and saying "Okay...now I get why she's so nuts! and has such a great handle on her villains!" LOL

I can't believe I just said all that on a public message board but ah well, guess for me that particular part of my past is just that, my past and writing Mel's brought out a lot of that stuff anyway. Unfortunately it's only a tiny chunk of the crap I have dealt with.

I'm sure a lot of us have been through hell. In that way, I am so glad Nick decided to write this book. I know people are coming down on him for being preachy or giving advice he shouldn't be, but for people who feel like they are going through something terrible, him reaching out may be the one hand they need to feel like they aren't going through things all alone.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »

And yay to music changing his life and remembering what teacher gave him his first musical part. Woot!

Did you notice that he said he was playing Raoul on one page then Phantom on the next? Lol being the Phantomphile I am I was like okay, which was it :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »

Did you notice that he said he was playing Raoul on one page then Phantom on the next? Lol being the Phantomphile I am I was like okay, which was it :P

I did notice that lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »

Just read chapter 4 and I feel like this is the first chapter where I learned some things I didn't already know. I also felt like this chapter was more of a memoir than a self help book. There was only one mention of a therapist. I did a get a kick out of the fact that whenever he mentions Ecstasy he always says the illegal drug Ecstasy lol he's so cute. It's like you want to pinch his cheeks and say "Yes, we know Nick!"

That whole devil thing in the bathroom was creepy. Is it wrong that I laughed a few times especially at the  "Why does Satan always get such a bum rap?" lmao  I just was really able to visualize that entire thing.

He was a mess back then. I mean I knew he was a mess back then but I didn't realize how much of a hot mess he was. Yikes!! I'm so glad the guys stuck by him. I'd hate to think about what could have happened if they didn't.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:29 PM »

Just finished "The Night of the Zombies."

I give him credit for doing all this research into what was happening to him and his body. He seems to be one of those kinds of people who want to know more about everything. Too bad he didn't apply himself like that when he was in school. I bet he would have actually been a really great student if that was the case.

P.S. I feel like I'm the only one on this message board. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 08:29:22 PM »

I got that vibe from him too, that he's actually very inquisitive.  He probably could have been a great student if he'd been into learning then.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »

Yes, I got that too, but his parents didn't seem to care about things like that did they.

Mare, I can't believe I admitted about my dad too, and there's probably a ton more I could write, but I'll keep it to myself!  I will say that I didn't speak to my dad for years, but a few years ago he contacted me and apologised for the way he'd treated us and doesn't drink anymore, so I forgave him and see him a few times a year now.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »

^ That's awesome, Steph. Hopefully he stays clean and sober.

The other thing I forgot to mention way back in the early chapters is I can't believe they made him babysit all those kids when he was barely 9 years old! What a lot of responsibility for a kid that small!

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 03:32:07 AM »

This book is not available here in UAE and will never be... I inquired with a local bookstore and they can order it online for me but will cost me 60 USD. Is that reasonable? I mean how much does the book cost there?
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:06 AM »

I love Nick to death but his book is nowhere worth $60! I think it was only $10 here, Ritz! Have you tried Amazon or maybe even the BSB website?

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 12:34:13 PM »

Not yet. I haven't tried buying stuff online so I'm a little hesitant to do that. That's why I was okay for that set-up that the bookstore will buy it for me, I will pay them and pick up the book once it arrives. But my husband said no as 60 USD is too much for a book. :(
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »

Amazon is a really reliable website.  I order from them all the time and have never had a problem.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »

I've never had a hard time with Amazon either or Barnes and Noble online.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »

I'm addicted to buying on amazon. Definitely a safe place to shop online.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4