Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Fangirl  (Read 1017 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Fangirl
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:38:03 PM »

http://www.amazon.ca/Fangirl-Rainbow-Rowell/dp/1250030951/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379871151&sr=8-1&keywords=fangirl+rainbow+rowell

I gushed about this on twitter but I am making a thread in hopes that some of you will read it so that we can have a discussion about it because I can't get over it.

Basically this book is about this girl, Cath, who starts her freshman year at college. Along with being super socially anxious, she also loves writing Simon Snow slash fanfic. (Simon Snow is basically a stand-in for Harry Potter.)

Anyway it's very character-driven story about this girl who can't let her love of writing fanfiction go. I couldn't get enough of it. I read it in one day. It was refreshing to see a real book play with the subject of fanfiction and not just shrug it off as something stupid that teenage girls do in their spare time.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Fangirl
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »

I got the sample of it on my Kindle last night and liked it, so I bought it this morning, and I'm so into it, I probably could have stayed in bed and read the whole thing today, but I had to make myself get up and do something more productive (like get on AC - you know).

Anyway, reading it, I was like, "OMG, that was me ten years ago!!!"  I was not quite as socially anxious as Cath, or I just hid it better and forced myself to meet people and do things to overcome it, but that whole scenario of going off to college by yourself and living with another person you don't know and wondering how you're going to find time to keep writing fanfic, which you don't want to talk about to anyone outside the internet because you know they'll think it's weird... that was so me!  Like you said, Steph, it was very refreshing to read about a character who is like us and who shares our hobby.  I've never read about a fictional character who writes fanfiction in a published novel.

Also, I think the Simon Snow/Harry Potter thing is funny.  I am assuming the author used to or still does write HP fanfic, probably of the Harry/Draco slash variety. 
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »

Interesting. I may check it out one day.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »

Sounds like an interesting book, I might have to download the sample onto my phone to see if I like it.