Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Part one of the 2014 summer reading challenge! The participants!  (Read 28872 times)

BSBShania

• Innocent Bystander
  • Just Dancing
Re: Part one of the 2014 summer reading challenge! The participants!
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »

I only have two oneshots though...  :(
Shania

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »

If you do want to participate, you should definitely submit them both. It's just like as I said in the rules, it's not really leaving much for a person to read so there is a good chance your stories might not be picked and if that happens, just be aware that you are still obligated to read two stories from the listed ones.

Make sure you read the complete set of rules in the first post before saying yes to this challenge.

As long as you are fine with that, then I have no problem with you only submitting your two one shots as one story. :) If you decide not to do it, just make sure you let me know before the 14th.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »

As we get closer to picking what we'd like to read, it's time to fill out your first survey! (plus just checking to make sure you're all paying attention to this thread. lol)

Here is this year's reader's survey:

Reader's Survey

1) What is the most recent story you have read or are currently reading?

2) What drew you to that (those) stories?

3) Do you typically read stories by the same select people or does it matter who wrote it?

4) What makes you click on a story? (summary? Banner? etc...)

5) When you start reading a story do you typically follow through and read the entire thing?

6) What would make you stop reading a story?

7) If a story is complete do you binge read it to the end or spread it out?

8) Would you consider yourself a picky reader?

9) Which boy do you enjoy reading about the most?

10) What are your favorite genres to read?

11) Do you typically give feedback when you read?

12) What will be the hardest part of this challenge for you?

13) Do you already know which stories you'd like to pick?

14) Why did you decide to participate in the challenge?

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »

Mare, I'll bite and go first!

Reader's Survey

1) What is the most recent story you have read or are currently reading? - I was reading "Sick as My Secrets" by RockofAges75 and I was LOVING it. The fact that it hasn't been updated in a while is slowly killing me. LOL

2) What drew you to that (those) stories? - I have to admit that I was a bit unsure of the story at first because of the slash undertones, but I guess that's also what prompted me to read it. I liked that it was a little bit different and definitely out of my comfort zone as a reader. Plus, the writing is really good!

3) Do you typically read stories by the same select people or does it matter who wrote it? - It doesn't matter to me who the author is as long as I enjoy their writing.

4) What makes you click on a story? (summary? Banner? etc...) - Mostly the summary ... I could care less about the banner. Although, some of the banners out there are pretty good!

5) When you start reading a story do you typically follow through and read the entire thing? - If I'm loving the writing and the plot then of course I will finish it!

6) What would make you stop reading a story? - Poor grammar!! If I click on a story and I find myself getting confused because of incorrect word usage and/or run-on sentences, I will stop reading right away. I know that sounds horrible, but if I can't just sit back and read effortlessly than it's not enjoyable for me, regardless of how good the plot is. 

7) If a story is complete do you binge read it to the end or spread it out? - Binge read!!

8) Would you consider yourself a picky reader? - Not really

9) Which boy do you enjoy reading about the most? - Brian and AJ. I will read Nick stories as long as they're not "traditional" Nick stories.  :)

10) What are your favorite genres to read? - I like drama, suspense, and romance. If there's some good "bromance" than I'm pretty much hooked.  ;D

11) Do you typically give feedback when you read? - I try to ...

12) What will be the hardest part of this challenge for you? - Finding the time to leave constructive feedback on every chapter. Sometimes, I get hooked on a story and don't leave a comment simply because I've read the chapter on the go and don't feel like I have time to articulate myself properly.

13) Do you already know which stories you'd like to pick? - I'm leaning towards "Shadow Woods" by Mare, "Walked Out of My Dreams" by Rose, or"First Impressions" by Kyrie. However, I'm really open to reading anything.  :)

14) Why did you decide to participate in the challenge? - I'm a new writer and I'm new to the site, so I thought that it might be a good way to gain some exposure and to meet everyone else.

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge? - Yes, I currently have a story on the most recent page. I did not submit it for the challenge simply because it's not finished. I suppose that I could submit the story. It seems to be getting some good hits on the most recent page.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »

I am currently reading Dodging the Daylight and just finished Brothers.

2) What drew you to that (those) stories? Brothers was easy because well...duh! It practically was screaming my name "Hey Mare!! I wrote this for you, what are you waiting for?" lol Dodging the Daylight, I almost skipped because it started out with a dead Nick. I'm not a fan of those, but this is an example of what great writing can do, so I stuck with it. I'm glad I did.

3) Do you typically read stories by the same select people or does it matter who wrote it?
Not really, but sometimes it seems that way. I don't usually plan it though.

The summary most times, never the banner ever!

5) When you start reading a story do you typically follow through and read the entire thing?
When I commit to a story, I usually see it through to the end unless the writer gives up on it before I do which sadly, is usually the case. :(

I will generally give a story a chance for two chapters or so but if the grammar, or characterizati ons are very poor, I'll stop there. For stories I have committed to, the only thing that will make me stop is if the author takes way way too long to update. In those cases, I will wait until the story is complete before continuing. The other thing that will make me stop is if the author never responds to reviews.

I spread it out. Usually a chapter or two a day. I've never been a binge reader.

Extremely!

Nick centered/group fics keep my attention the most. If it's just a boy and a random girl, not the least bit interested.

Suspense, Action, Drama, Dramedy

Once I commit to a story, yes. Before that, no.

I am a very picky reader so the actual reading of the story tends to be the hardest part of the challenges for me. i have a zero attention span so unless the story really captures my attention, I'll struggle through.

Nope, as part of my challenge, I always wait until everyone else has piked and then I'll pick from what's left. As long as it's not just my stuff. That would suck! LOL

Because I invented it! LOL Even f I didn't though, I'd most likely get involved because I like to be introduced to new stories and writers.  

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge?
Yup! it's called "The Secrets That We Keep" and I'll probably start posting it soon. Because it hasn't even started to post yet, it's not part of the challenge (this year anyway)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:00:53 PM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »

Mare, I'll bite and go first!

Reader's Survey

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge? - Yes, I currently have a story on the most recent page. I did not submit it for the challenge simply because it's not finished. I suppose that I could submit the story. It seems to be getting some good hits on the most recent page.

You should completely submit this story for the challenge! It doesn't have to be complete and you have more than enough to keep readers interested! Just sayin' lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 05:07:40 AM »

Today is the final day to sign up or submit anymore of your stories to the reading challenge.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »

I'm gonna come fill out the survey after work tonight :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »

Reader's Survey

1) What is the most recent story you have read or are currently reading? "Accidentally In Love" by Sapphire and "Nothing Personal" by Pengi

2) What drew you to that (those) stories? I had read stories by both of these authors before and enjoyed them.

3) Do you typically read stories by the same select people or does it matter who wrote it? I do read certain authors more than others but I try to look at the authors I enjoy and see what people they enjoy reading.

4) What makes you click on a story? (summary? Banner? etc...) Reading the first chapter. I always like to give stories a try and the best way to do that is to read the beginning of the story.

5) When you start reading a story do you typically follow through and read the entire thing? If I can get through and enjoy the first chapter, I definitely try to continue to read it until I finish it.

6) What would make you stop reading a story? Sometimes it's grammatical errors and sometimes the stories get too graphic.

7) If a story is complete do you binge read it to the end or spread it out? Binge read!!!! LOL

8) Would you consider yourself a picky reader? Sometimes but I try to keep an open mind

9) Which boy do you enjoy reading about the most? AJ

10) What are your favorite genres to read? Drama, romance, suspense, comedy

11) Do you typically give feedback when you read? I try to give feedback on every chapter I read.

12) What will be the hardest part of this challenge for you? Keeping up all the reading! I'm a teacher and there are lots of testing days coming up so I need to focus on the reading!

13) Do you already know which stories you'd like to pick? No

14) Why did you decide to participate in the challenge? Mare made it seem like fun and I'm always up for a challenge!

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge? Yes, it's the sequel to one of the stories I submitted for the challenge. I didn't summit that one because it's not finished yet.
“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” — Mary Anne Radmacher

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »

Reader's Survey

1) What is the most recent story you have read or are currently reading? Dodging The Daylight by KeepThisSecret and Sick As My Secrets by RokOfAges75 (Julie)

2) What drew you to that (those) stories? Well I read most things that. Julie posts and I read Dodging because I like suspense.

3) Do you typically read stories by the same select people or does it matter who wrote it? If the story happens to catch my eye I will read it but lately I stick to the same few authors. 

4) What makes you click on a story? (summary? Banner? etc...) Summary and sometimes the banner. I've clicked on stuff due to the banner alone before.

5) When you start reading a story do you typically follow through and read the entire thing? Yes but there have been times where life gets in the way and I don't read for a bit.

6) What would make you stop reading a story? If the author threatens to stop updating due to lack of reviews. Other than that mostly nothing makes me stop reading.

7) If a story is complete do you binge read it to the end or spread it out? I will binge read or read a few chapters at a time.

8) Would you consider yourself a picky reader? Not really but grammar and spelling are important.

9) Which boy do you enjoy reading about the most? Nick but I love group fics a lot.

10) What are your favorite genres to read? Suspense, drama, horror, comedy and action.

11) Do you typically give feedback when you read?  I always review! I love reviewing as much as I love reading. 

12) What will be the hardest part of this challenge for you? Choosing a story.

13) Do you already know which stories you'd like to pick? Not a clue. Lol

14) Why did you decide to participate in the challenge? I do it every year!

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge? Yes but most of the unfinished stories are on hiatus.  I have not submitted anything current.

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »

1) What is the most recent story you have read or are currently reading? I have a few I am reading right now Dodging the Daylight by KeepThisSecret, Nothing Personal by Pengi those are just a few

2) What drew you to that (those) stories? I can't really give you an exact answer I love Pengi's stories and Dodging because I was sitting with my dog who just had puppies and I decided to give it a try I litterally JUST started reading it last week.

3) Do you typically read stories by the same select people or does it matter who wrote it? I tend to read stories from the same author unless a summary or title has caught my eye

4) What makes you click on a story? (summary? Banner? etc...) the summary  most of the time.

5) When you start reading a story do you typically follow through and read the entire thing? yes unless I am super busy.

6) What would make you stop reading a story? if it just got too cliche sometimes but even then I tend to still read it.

7) If a story is complete do you binge read it to the end or spread it out? depends...most ly just binge until I have read the whole thing

8) Would you consider yourself a picky reader? eh not really

9) Which boy do you enjoy reading about the most? Nick & Brian

10) What are your favorite genres to read? romance ;)

11) Do you typically give feedback when you read? yes sometimes I forget to do it though espeically when I am super busy

12) What will be the hardest part of this challenge for you? the reviewing I think but I am going to do most of my reading on a plane so it shouldnt be a problem ;p

13) Do you already know which stories you'd like to pick? I think so

14) Why did you decide to participate in the challenge? because I think i can learn from how people write and maybe it will give me a boost to make my stories better and also to be better at reviewing and giving feedback since i can lack in that department..an d I thought it'd be fun and put myself out there!

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge? Yes I have a few stories I am working on...none are entered into the challenge though since they arent completed but I have "Happily Never After" which is the Sequel to "All Of Your Life" (which is in the challenge btw) and the Cowboy Take Me Away which I just started not too long ago so its kind of new...and then I have an idea I have kicking around in my  head as well just doesnt have a title yet ;)
~Carter~

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »

Reader's Survey

1) What is the most recent story you have read or are currently reading? Sick As My Secrets, Dodging The Daylight and Run

2) What drew you to that (those) stories? The great writing and good plot.

Yes, I often read stories by the same people, but will branch out and read new writers too.

4) What makes you click on a story? (summary? Banner? etc...) Summary.  If I like that, I'll click to read more.

Yes I do, although recently I've not had chance to read, and so have quite a few I need to carry on with.

6) What would make you stop reading a story? Poor grammar and layout.

Bit of both really, depends how much time I have free.

8) Would you consider yourself a picky reader? Not too picky.

9) Which boy do you enjoy reading about the most? Nick, but I'll read them all.

10) What are your favorite genres to read? Action, adventure, drama, suspense, romance...most things really!

11) Do you typically give feedback when you read? Yes, always like to say something to show how much I'm enjoying a story.

12) What will be the hardest part of this challenge for you? I'm hoping it won't be hard, lol

13) Do you already know which stories you'd like to pick? Not at the moment

14) Why did you decide to participate in the challenge? Because it's interesting and I sometimes end up reading stories I might otherwise miss.

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge? No, I really should be, but my mojo seems to have left me for now :(

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »

1) What is the most recent story you have read or are currently reading? A dash of cinnamon

2) What drew you to that (those) stories? Its a frick n frack story  lol

3) Do you typically read stories by the same select people or does it matter who wrote it? doesn't matter

4) What makes you click on a story? (summary? Banner? etc...) summary

5) When you start reading a story do you typically follow through and read the entire thing? most of the time

6) What would make you stop reading a story? just not liking and getting bored or if its hard to read

7) If a story is complete do you binge read it to the end or spread it out?   spread it out

8) Would you consider yourself a picky reader? not really

9) Which boy do you enjoy reading about the most? brian and nick and kevin

10) What are your favorite genres to read? drama,action,comady

11) Do you typically give feedback when you read? yea

12) What will be the hardest part of this challenge for you?constructive feedback

13) Do you already know which stories you'd like to pick? Peter's poisoned promise [it Howie I know, it just looks good] the importance of fly fishing

14) Why did you decide to participate in the challenge? I think its a lot of fun

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge? Yes,  it's based on the Animorphs book series. I hoping to pull it off with a lot of bsb stuff added 

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »

1) What is the most recent story you have read or are currently reading?: I'm not really reading anything right now except Hannah's most recent endeavour

2) What drew you to that (those) stories?: Because she knows where I live, she's little and kinda scary

3) Do you typically read stories by the same select people or does it matter who wrote it?: It doesn't really matter so long as it looks interesting

4) What makes you click on a story? (summary? Banner? etc...): It has to have a summary that's interesting and written in complete sentences, then the first chapter has to have the same thing

5) When you start reading a story do you typically follow through and read the entire thing?: I wish I could say yes, but rarely

6) What would make you stop reading a story?: My own attention span or it just gets boring

7) If a story is complete do you binge read it to the end or spread it out?: Binge read

8) Would you consider yourself a picky reader?: Not particularly. Except when it comes to the English language.

9) Which boy do you enjoy reading about the most?: Nick

10) What are your favorite genres to read?: AU/Adventure

11) Do you typically give feedback when you read?: Depends on how much I like it, I'm the worst for leaving consistent feedback

12) What will be the hardest part of this challenge for you?: Leaving constructive feedback, reading all the chapters

13) Do you already know which stories you'd like to pick?: Yeah, because I did already

14) Why did you decide to participate in the challenge?: You know where I live, are little and kind of scary

15) Are you currently working on a story? If yes, what is it and have you submitted it as part of the challenge?: I'm working on a million stories but no I haven't submitted any of them. They're not posted. 
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2014, 03:59:14 AM »

Dodging The Daylight, Sick As My Secrets, and The Dangers of Fluttering though I'm ashamed to say I fell behind on them LOL. The challenge will keep me focused despite work.

2) What drew you to that (those) stories?

Interesting plotlines and for two, promises of serious angst LOL.

I'm more likely to click on a fic if it's by an author who I KNOW will write a good story, but a neat idea will suck me in.

Summary, the banner might make me look twice but never click.

I try to. Sometimes I fail.

Bad writing or bad characterizati on

If it's finished I totally binge read LOL.

Absolutely LOL.

Nick, Brian, and Kevin

Sci-fi, horror, angst

Always

Sticking to it.

Not a clue

To give me a kick in the pants. I miss my fanfic world but my attention span lately is horrible.

Yes, "We Burn The Sky", and no because it's not long enough yet.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4