Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!  (Read 62234 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »

Welcome to the 2014 reading challenge!

Below you will find your name and the stories you picked (complete with links) as well as things you will be asked to fill out along the way.

Just a few reminders:

- Remember to leave feedback on every chapter
- Do not be afraid to ask the authors anything about their stories
- Do not be afraid to leave constructive criticism if you think it will be helpful to the author.
- Remember to respond to your reviews
-Pace yourselves. You have the entire summer to read. Come up with some kind of plan to get your two stories done by the end of August without reading them all in one sitting or waiting until the last minute.
- DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE!!
- DO NOT QUIT THIS CHALLENGE! or I should say  I WILL NOT LET YOU QUIT THIS CHALLENGE! I will bug you relentlessly and make you feel horrible for abandoning people who are taking the time to read YOUR stories. If I have to do it on Twitter, Facebook any public forums I will! Those of you who really know me, know I will do this! lol
- Come in here and talk about the stories you are reading or the experience you are having with this challenge. Even if you want to talk about any other stories you might be reading in addition to the challenge one.
- Feel free to read ANY of the stories that were offered up. Even if it's not your challenge story. If you find you have the time to check out another story, please do.
- Check this forum at least once a week!
and most importantly... .
- Get to know each other!!

And that's about it!! :)

-------------------------------
As of 8/30

Carterkid
Challenge Complete Hooray!!!
 :wave:

DelphinaCarter

Mare

Rose
Challenge Completed Hooray!!!

emily_michele

Julilly

Carter

Carter-Orange

Kyrie
Challenge Completed Hooray!!

KeepThisSecret  

freedomwriter
EPIC TOTAL FAIL - BOO!

:shrug:

Ritz

*Ritz for the short stories - you don't have to fill out a survey for every single one. You can treat them all kind of like chapters in a big story so when you are at the halfway point of reading the stories you can fill out the half way there survey. I might actually have to make a different survey to go better with short stories lol we learn as we go!  :o

*--* = started reading the story

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 04:06:58 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »

Just in case anyone is binge reading and gets here quickly lol

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story:

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be)

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit?

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:13 AM »

Well it's officially June 1st for me! (Happy 30th Birthday, Julilly!)

Now the fun begins!! (I'm such a dork!) lol

Every week I'll come in with a new question for you to answer.

Here's the first one: What's going to be your approach to reading? Are you going to read both of your stories simultaneously, or first one then the other?

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »

I will be reading one before the other....my ADHD wont be able to keep up with both and I am worried I will start getting the two mixed up lol...and I am going to be doing a lot of reading on a plane to Washington (from St. Louis Mo...LONGGGGG flight with two kids!!) so it will keep me kinda busy as well lol.
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »

I am going to read both stories simultaneously but also one at a time. lol I'll give five chapters to one then switch etc... that's what I did last year and it worked for me so I'm doing it again this year. 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »

I'll be reading one at a time, I've already made a start and prefer to do it that way.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »

I like reading fan fic one at a time but I can read books simultaneously .

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:00:29 AM »

I will also be reading them one at a time. With everything else going on, I would probably get confused if I tried to read them both simultaneously ???

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »

One at a time makes my life easier lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:35 PM »

I like to make my life as difficult as possible! lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 03:56:14 PM »

I've finished my first one, go me!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »

Wow! That was pretty fast!

Now you're going to have to make me dig up my final surveys lol Don't forget to fill them all out!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »

Okay that was easier to find then I thought it would be! lol

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story:

Person reading it:

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts?

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you?

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?

------------------------------------------------------

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story:

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?

7) Were you happy with the ending?

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)

9) What was this stories biggest strength?

10) What was it's biggest weakness?

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?

13) Did the author respond to your feedback?

14) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:25:34 AM by mare »

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 12:20:01 AM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Remember Me This Way

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? totally

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? probably Nick cause I can kind of relate in certain ways.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) yes..and I dont think its going to be a happy ending =(

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? Yes.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? I totally was NOT expecting the condition that Nick has..totally threw me off there for a sec.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. I wouldnt have stopped reading...the story line is just absolutely amazing and defiantly original in my eyes.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) I couldn't find anything lol.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
 not off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:26:32 AM by mare »
~Carter~

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »

Here's my "Halfway There" survey!

Name of story: Shadow Woods by Mare

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yup - No issues!

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? I'm going to have to go with Nick. He's the central character as well as the narrator, so it's hard not to like him. I'm enjoying his internal monologues and commentaries on the other guys.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) At this point, I'm thinking that Nick will be "taken" by the ghosts and that the other guys will have to work out a way to save him. In the end, it will be Kevin who ultimately comes to his rescue.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? The summary was bang on! It was intriguing without giving anything away.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? The fact that the "mysterious visitors" turned out to be ghosts was surprising to me. I was sure that the so-called visitors were going to be a group of psycho killers ...

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. I have to admit that I would have been tempted to stop reading when I found out that Nick was seeing ghosts simply because I don't usually go in for the whole supernatural thing. However, the writing is good ,so I may have continued reading just to see how the guys' relationships played out. To make a long story short, I'm glad this was a challenge story because it encouraged me to keep going.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) Nope!

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? Not at this point.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15