Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

I need your opinion about completed/non completed stories

I feel like a story should be complete before it's submitted to the challenge
- 0 (0%)
I feel like as long as the story is at least 2/3 done it is fine to submit
- 6 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Reading challenge suggestion box and new rules for next year!  (Read 39867 times)

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Reading challenge suggestion box and new rules for next year!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »

I think we are all our own worst critics. lol

oh you have no idea! lol I am defiantly my own worst critic like times 10 lol.
~Carter~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 12:24:44 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I think it's just as hard to give it because you never know how people are going to take it until you go into a thread and see them talking about you. lol

Seriously! LOL. It's not that easy to give concrit. I give it with the best intentions qnd really only when I do this challenge. I try to be as nice and constructive as possible. But the reactions aren't always the easiest.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 12:38:53 AM »

Seriously! LOL. It's not that easy to give concrit. I give it with the best intentions qnd really only when I do this challenge. I try to be as nice and constructive as possible. But the reactions aren't always the easiest.

To be honest I dont have a mean bone in my body lol. I try to take it in stride i really do but I knew it would be a hard story to read since it was my first story i six years. I just had to figure out how to bounce back from it and redeem myself lol.
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 04:13:50 AM »

You can just look at it and see how much you've grown since then. Sometimes that's the best way to think of something. Reread the old one then read your most recent and if you see a noticeable difference, that should make you proud.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »

You can just look at it and see how much you've grown since then. Sometimes that's the best way to think of something. Reread the old one then read your most recent and if you see a noticeable difference, that should make you proud.

I have re-read a ton of stuff lately lol. I was all over the place. I felt like a little kid had written it instead of a 29yr old lol. Some of my first ones are just terrible.like why are they still up terrible lol. But i am learning like i have said i am my own worst enemy most of the time. I have been like it ny entire life. I should write a story about it lol it might help me in the long run ;)
~Carter~

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »

And i am sorry if i made you feel bad in anyway mare :(  i was just trying to be honest. I just take things way too hard and i over think things. Its a lot of stuff i have yet to overcome from when i was a kid. You helped me out a lot. I am sure i am still not the greatest writer but i am only hoping to grow :)
~Carter~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »

You remind me a lot about myself Carter :)  i do the same exact thing. I over think things a lot myself too.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 08:13:38 AM »

And i am sorry if i made you feel bad in anyway mare :(  i was just trying to be honest. I just take things way too hard and i over think things. Its a lot of stuff i have yet to overcome from when i was a kid. You helped me out a lot. I am sure i am still not the greatest writer but i am only hoping to grow :)

I didn't feel bad. I was just sad that I made you feel bad. Everyone who knows me on here, knows I am very honest about things when it comes to writing especially with this particular challenge. I normally never leave concrit when I review stories not for a challenge unless there is some glowing error that really needs to not be overlooked. But for challenge purposes I make sure I do give an informed opinion on what I'm seeing whether it's a good thing or a bad thing. I make sure I'm nice about it, I think that's the only thing I get paranoid about. When I saw you in here talking about it, I was afraid I may have been harsh, glad to know that wasn't the case!

Most people do have a hard time accepting criticism, I do too! I spent most of my freshman year at college bawling because it was like an AI audition in front of Simon Cowell every day! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »

Yeah i spent a lot of time in college doing the sme thing. But i flunked out twice.
~Carter~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »

To be honest I dont have a mean bone in my body

Yeah, me either...  ;)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 02:15:39 AM »

Concrit is sometimes hard to take but I really feel lucky when I receive them. It meant that the person reading your story cares enough about you and wanted you to improve and be a better writer. I actually want to submit The Other Side of NC for the reading challenge to have concrit reviews but it is not finished and it would not be fair to the reader to make them read unfinished story.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 03:49:21 AM »

I have really been considering that as another possible rule for next summer but I'm on the fence about it. Whether to make t a mandatory thing that the story submitted is complete or not.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I mean I see pros and cons for both ways.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 04:05:48 AM »

I can see both sides. Only one story I submitted was incomplete but it was SO close, I figured it wouldn't matter. And I do think the feedback when it was steady was helping kick our buts in gear and now we only have a few chapters before finishing. I think the rule should be it must be at the halfway point at least. This way you have a good feel of the plot and where it will likely go so you can give proper concrit.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 04:11:25 AM »

I think it's better when the story is complete, but you might keep some people from participating by making that a rule.  I think, like Rose said, as long as the story is far enough for the reader to get a good sense of the plot and where it's going, it still works for the point of this challenge.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 04:30:57 AM »

That's what I have it as now, and I do think it does help kick start people if they are in the process of updating it. At the same time, it is hard when you are reading something incomplete and doing the challenge because you feel almost an obligation to have to follow through to the end and people might randomly start adding chapters while you are reading which might also mess people's reading patterns up or they might not ever finish the story and leave you eternally hanging lol

On the other side, reading a complete story is great but then again sometimes it might be too late to hear that concrit but I guess that depends on if the author is actively still writing or not because you could take that concrit from one story and just translate it into some of your others that you are currently working on. Even still as a writer, I would probably get more out of concrit from something in progress than I would something complete but as a reader I would prefer something complete.

Maybe I'll make a poll. Why not? Polls seem to be in these days! LOL
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6