Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 117223 times)

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »

LOL I think everyone is like that.  Or at least, I would assume so.

Do you write the kind of stories you prefer to read?

Is there a type of story you like to read, but don't write?

Have you ever written a story that you would probably never read?

I think that I'm pretty selfish in the sense that I only want to write stories that I want to read. If I have to write it, edit it, fix it, proof it, etc. then it better be something that I enjoy reading back over and over again. Let's face it, as a writer, I don't want to bore myself. LOL Besides, if I find a story boring and/or "unreadable" then I would tend to think that nobody else would want to read it either.

I really like to read medical dramas, but I would never write one. The thought of doing all that research in order to make sure that everything is accurate makes me want to run and hide!

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »

Eh not really. I will read just about anything as far as fanfiction goes. If the summary sounds interesting i will give it a shot most of the time. I am really into romance stories...so i tend to write a lot of them. I cant seem to escape from it lol.

And as far as writing a story that I would probably never read i dont think i have one or can think of one off the top of my head.

Like i have a plot right now but I just changed it cause I had it all figured out in my head but then i realized it probably wasn't a smart idea to promote teenage pregnancy so i quickly changed the ages and will have to rework the first chapter before i post it lol. I couldnt believe I even thought about writing such a story lol. They will be young but not the age of 16 lol.
~Carter~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »

another question popped into my head lol. Have you ever thought of a plot that you thought was going to be fantastic and then thought it just wasn't a good idea in the end?

The Amish story I mentioned, Guilty Roads.  The story itself is good enough so far, I guess, but the idea itself is so flawed that I've had a really hard time continuing it.

That's the only one I've written "recently" that has made it far enough to actually get posted before I started second-guessing it, but of course I have started stories or at least written down ideas that I haven't done anything with.  And there are several stories I wrote back in the day that I look at now and go, "Now why did I think that was a good idea??"
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »

I do write the stories I would prefer to read because I have to read it a thousand times in order to edit it! I don't know about you guys and this would probably be a good question as well, but before I post a chapter it has been read at least ten times to make sure I don't want to make any last minute changes and fix mistakes I might have missed the other nine times! So, in order to write the best I can, I make sure I want to read the final product. If I don't want to read it, I shouldn't expect anybody else to.

No to the second question. I pretty much write what I like to read and skip what I don't. lol

And yes! I don't know if I would have read "It Stays With You" because it was too disturbing for me, the reader! And was Brian centered. LOL I probably would have skipped my romance too because it was a romance but at least it didn't have a banner. There's probably a whole boatload of short stories I would have skipped as well. Especially the ones I wrote for challenge purposes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:50:50 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »

Okay so the editing question - how do you go about editing your chapters before you post them?

Do you have someone else beta read them? Or do you do it yourself or do you not bother at all and just wing it?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »

The Amish story I mentioned, Guilty Roads.  The story itself is good enough so far, I guess, but the idea itself is so flawed that I've had a really hard time continuing it.

That's the only one I've written "recently" that has made it far enough to actually get posted before I started second-guessing it, but of course I have started stories or at least written down ideas that I haven't done anything with.  And there are several stories I wrote back in the day that I look at now and go, "Now why did I think that was a good idea??"

Poor shot in the head, Kevin. :( lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »

I do write the kind of stories I like to read, which are mainly medical dramas.

I also love suspense, but I don't write much of it anymore.  I have tried, and most of my attempts have not turned out very good.  I just struggle with that genre for some reason, which is sad because I really love it, as do a lot of other readers!

I know I would never click on 00Carter if I weren't a part of writing it.  The spy stuff doesn't interest me, and I don't read a lot of comedy fanfic, unless we're talking those old-school parodies that just made fun of the Boys.  But of course, by judging it by its cover, I would be missing out on a very entertaining story! ;)  Other than that, I would probably read everything I've written, as long as I had some idea of what it was about going in.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

Oooh, I like medical dramas too and I would never write one because of the same reasons Erika mentioned but I'm also kind of picky with those too.

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »

Okay so the editing question - how do you go about editing your chapters before you post them?

Do you have someone else beta read them? Or do you do it yourself or do you not bother at all and just wing it?

I edit the best that i can. Which is why I write the chapters on paper and then when I type them I edit as i type. Probably a bad idea but I have no one else to read them for me before I post them. Art used to but then he quit. He probably got tried of reading about Nick lol.
~Carter~

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »

I do all of the editing myself. The only person who knows that I write fanfic is my husband, and his grammar skills are disastrous so he would be no help to my anyways. LOL

Like Mare, I probably read a chapter obsessively before I post it. However, that probably leads me to miss a bunch of little things because you tend not to see your mistakes the more you read things over.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »

Another question that is purely selfish at the moment. lol

Would it be okay to go back and add something into a story you are currently posting as long as it has no affect on the actual plot? For instance one of my biggest regrets for Secrets is the fact that I didn't title each chapter. I LOVE doing that and it's kind of been my trademark but when I posted the very first chapter, I couldn't for the life of me come up with a title. Since then, I find myself groaning every time I post because I ALWAYS went to add a title on to the chapter! Is it too late to start doing that? Or should I just leave it the way it is? I was thinking of going back and just adding a title onto each chapter. Thoughts? Have any of you done anything like that?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »

I edit them myself.  I do a lot of editing as I go, so by the time I finish, all I need to do is proofread to catch typos and such.  I usually read over the chapter once when I finish and then wait at least a day or so before I post it so I can read it again with fresh eyes.  I find more mistakes when I do that than if I proofread and post right away.  Sometimes I still miss things!  My eyes will slide right over missing words because, obviously, I know what I meant LOL.  That's where having a beta reader would come in handy.

I will say, I have been staying at least several chapters ahead of what's posted with Sick as My Secrets, and that has been awesome because it gives me so much more time to go back and edit before I post chapters.  I end up reading the chapters way more than my usual two or three times before I post them.  It took a lot of willpower in the beginning because I wrote the first eighteen chapters before I posted anything, and I was absolutely DYING to share, but waiting has been worth it.  I will have to remember that next time I start a new story!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »

I do all of the editing myself. The only person who knows that I write fanfic is my husband, and his grammar skills are disastrous so he would be no help to my anyways. LOL

Like Mare, I probably read a chapter obsessively before I post it. However, that probably leads me to miss a bunch of little things because you tend not to see your mistakes the more you read things over.

What's helped me with that is, I leave it completely alone until right before I post it. I notice that's when I catch all the tiny mistakes I missed before. I'm' sure even after doing that, there will still be mistakes. lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »

I edit them myself.  I do a lot of editing as I go, so by the time I finish, all I need to do is proofread to catch typos and such.  I usually read over the chapter once when I finish and then wait at least a day or so before I post it so I can read it again with fresh eyes.  I find more mistakes when I do that than if I proofread and post right away.  Sometimes I still miss things!  My eyes will slide right over missing words because, obviously, I know what I meant LOL.  That's where having a beta reader would come in handy.

I will say, I have been staying at least several chapters ahead of what's posted with Sick as My Secrets, and that has been awesome because it gives me so much more time to go back and edit before I post chapters.  I end up reading the chapters way more than my usual two or three times before I post them.  It took a lot of willpower in the beginning because I wrote the first eighteen chapters before I posted anything, and I was absolutely DYING to share, but waiting has been worth it.  I will have to remember that next time I start a new story!

That is exactly why I always make sure I write ahead of myself before I post as well. It's nice not having to rush and knowing I have time to let the chapter sit, sometimes for weeks before I have to read it again with a fresh pair of eyes. It also helps if I decide I want to change something. I love doing things this way. I have done this for years now and it's awesome and most importantly there's continuity in posting and therefore it helps readers stick with it and appreciate it more.

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »

to answer Mare's other question there are A LOT of things I wish I could have added into stories and such. I am just too lazy to go and do anything about it LOL.
~Carter~
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36