Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 117204 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »

I edit the best that i can. Which is why I write the chapters on paper and then when I type them I edit as i type. Probably a bad idea but I have no one else to read them for me before I post them. Art used to but then he quit. He probably got tried of reading about Nick lol.

I think that's a good idea because at least it gets you to look at each chapter twice.  I don't have the patience to write on paper, but like I said, I like to edit as I go, and that's a lot easier to do on the computer.  It would drive my little OCD self nuts to see all the cross-outs and arrows there would be if I did it in paper, but mostly the reason I don't write on paper is because I'm a lot slower at it, and it makes my hand hurt LOL.  I sound like one of my students, but it's true!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »

Another question that is purely selfish at the moment. lol

Would it be okay to go back and add something into a story you are currently posting as long as it has no affect on the actual plot? For instance one of my biggest regrets for Secrets is the fact that I didn't title each chapter. I LOVE doing that and it's kind of been my trademark but when I posted the very first chapter, I couldn't for the life of me come up with a title. Since then, I find myself groaning every time I post because I ALWAYS went to add a title on to the chapter! Is it too late to start doing that? Or should I just leave it the way it is? I was thinking of going back and just adding a title onto each chapter. Thoughts? Have any of you done anything like that?

I don't think that there is any harm in going back and adding titles to your chapters. Like you said, it won't really have any impact on the plot. It will probably drive you crazy if you don't do it, so you might as well do it now. :P

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

Another question that is purely selfish at the moment. lol

Would it be okay to go back and add something into a story you are currently posting as long as it has no affect on the actual plot? For instance one of my biggest regrets for Secrets is the fact that I didn't title each chapter. I LOVE doing that and it's kind of been my trademark but when I posted the very first chapter, I couldn't for the life of me come up with a title. Since then, I find myself groaning every time I post because I ALWAYS went to add a title on to the chapter! Is it too late to start doing that? Or should I just leave it the way it is? I was thinking of going back and just adding a title onto each chapter. Thoughts? Have any of you done anything like that?

I think adding something like chapter titles that doesn't change the plot of the story itself would be okay.  I'm not a fan of authors going back to change stuff in the actual story (other than editing for typos and grammar errors, etc.) after the fact.  Once it's online and other people have read it, I consider it published, and it shouldn't be changed.  It's like George Lucas going back and adding/changing things to the Star Wars movies.  No!  Stop that!  Just leave them alone.

What about taking things out?  When I moved my site to Wordpress and had to re-post all my stories over there, I took out all the song lyrics from Broken and By My Side because I thought they were cheesy.  I left the original versions online just in case anyone noticed and complained, but so far no one has.  It doesn't change the actual story, and I think it makes the flow a lot better to not have it interrupted by random Ricky Martin and Nickelback lyrics LOL, but I have always made a point to leave my old stuff online so it can be preserved, as is.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

I think when i write i relate to Nick more. Which is probably why I like him so much. We kinda have the same personalities but not really. I feel i have more in common with him or Brian than anyone else in the group.

I can relate to his family...well sorta. My parents were never home or around. I had a hard time in school and was bullied and no one did anything about it. Teachers included. So i went through my entire school career feeling like no one ever gave a flying fluck. It was hard. I still suffer from it today.  I have many issues and I hate it. I wonder some days how Art puts up with my craziness!!!

Writing fanfiction is my only way to escape i guess.

Aww damn hun, I'm sorry to hear that you went through that. :( But, it's up to us to take what we've been through and either have it help to make us the person we want to be, or have us continue to be the victim. With what I've read from you, having your significant other and all, you refused to be the latter, which I applaud you hun. :)
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »

I think that my answer is the same for when it comes to taking things out: as long as it doesn't change the plot then I don't see any harm in doing it. If taking something out actually improves the story then it was a good call in my mind.

FYI, the idea of Ricky Martin song lyrics showing up in the middle of a story made me laugh. If it had been any other artist other than Ricky Martin I probably wouldn't have even chuckled, but I honestly cannot even look at that man without cracking up! (Although, I have no idea why I find the idea of him so hilarious.)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2014, 02:16:11 PM »

I don't think that there is any harm in going back and adding titles to your chapters. Like you said, it won't really have any impact on the plot. It will probably drive you crazy if you don't do it, so you might as well do it now. :P

You are correct, so by the next update there will probably be titled chapters. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »

I think that's a good idea because at least it gets you to look at each chapter twice.  I don't have the patience to write on paper, but like I said, I like to edit as I go, and that's a lot easier to do on the computer.  It would drive my little OCD self nuts to see all the cross-outs and arrows there would be if I did it in paper, but mostly the reason I don't write on paper is because I'm a lot slower at it, and it makes my hand hurt LOL.  I sound like one of my students, but it's true!

I am hoping to get a tablet for my birthday and I will do everything from it. I only write on paper mostly cause I can take that anywhere I want to go. I can't really take my computer since its stationary lol. I am hoping to get the tablet with word or office on it. We shall see!
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »

I don't think I've ever taken things out of one of my stories. But I don't usually include lyrics. I think that would be the only example that would work.

I'm not a big fan of the redo thing either. I also feel like once something is posted, leave it alone! No sense in beating a dead horse unless it's just to make you happy. I don't like when people decide to fix or change their old stories and then get all annoyed when you aren't willing to reread it. LOL It's like "I read it already, I liked it the first time so why would I read it again?" Or "If I didn't like it before why would you think I'd like it now? Is it really that different?"
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »

Aww damn hun, I'm sorry to hear that you went through that. :( But, it's up to us to take what we've been through and either have it help to make us the person we want to be, or have us continue to be the victim. With what I've read from you, having your significant other and all, you refused to be the latter, which I applaud you hun. :)

Its hard but I have changed not a whole hell of a lot. I am trying to get out of a depression by myself and the writing seems to help. I am not as depressed i was when I first started writing again almost two years ago.
~Carter~

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »

I was also bullied growing up, but there was a time that I unfortunately became the bully as well. I was teased for the color of my skin, being fat and a tomboy growing up. Then I had that stupid thought, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and bullied these two kids for a while, but right after, I felt horrible and started talking to them and would stick up for those who were bullied.

I guess I find myself relating more to AJ, and slightly Brian. I always found myself relating to AJ because, although I wasn't the only child growing up, I dealt with the fact of being the oddball, not really knowing where or how to fit in, vying for attention. Growing up, I suffered from the "middle child syndrome", feeling alone and isolated and misunderstood; it was almost as if I felt like I was an only child, but I would vie for my parents' attention. To me, my siblings got most of the attention because my sister was the oldest and would be the first for everything (graduate, marry, etc.), then my second youngest brother has ADHD, so of course he required the attention, and then my youngest brother would need attention by default because he was the baby. Then you just had me, the second oldest, that felt like I was just there.

I too was in to performing arts in elementary, figured it was a way for me to receive attention and a way for me to stand out and apart from my siblings. I remember fondly of a time when my sister was performing in a talent show the same day I had to give a school presentation; I was nervous and excited for my presentation and tried so hard to get my mom to recognize what I had to do that day, but her attention was on my sister and her upcoming performance and how proud she was of her. Needless to say, that was one of the many days that scarred my little heart, lmao.

But, just like AJ, I grew up with this need to stand out and apart, and garner attention all my own. I had that rebellious stage in my life where I'd constantly wear bandanas to school (fuck that it was contraband, lol), I'd wear things that you wouldn't find females wearing, I'd drench myself in accessories and chains and just have this... painstaking style that no one walked around with, but I stood out. Of course, looking back, I was like "ugh, what were you thinking?!" Lmao. Then, around high school, I decided I wanted to get tattoos and piercings to help personify that I was this badass that people wouldn't want to mess with. Next thing you know, I've got six tattoos, a pierced lip, a pierced tongue, etc. Knowing that my mom wasn't for me getting it was what helped drive me to do it, lol.

The whole Brian part comes with my faith. Just like how we talked about how Brian is strong with his faith, but he's also very human is exactly how I am, lol. I go to church, do church things, but I swear like a freaking sailor and I preach about God with my tattoos and piercings; a place that tells you to treat your body like a temple, lol. I remember being at church one night, and this lady saying that I was a bad person because of all my tattoos and piercings. I mean sure, back then I did it to be purely a rebel and put on this front, but it didn't define who I really was. Going back to AJ, I'm a complete pushover as well, lmao!! I don't know what is with the need of some nice people to front that they're a bad boy/bad girl; guess that when we're so nice and get constantly taken advantage of, we create ourselves to be this person you don't want to mess with initially because we don't have the strength or the heart to actually push people away. We're completely fine letting people walk all over us, use us, take our kindness and walk away... all to ensure happiness of others. Being that I felt isolated and alone, I loved the attention I'd get by ensuring the happiness of others, even if it left me unhappy. Case in point, back in elementary, I'd ask my mom to let me take snacks to school because that was the only time my classmates would talk to me, LMAO!! Sharing my snacks with them during recess gave me attention from them and made me feel popular, only if briefly, lmao!!!

To this day, I still try to put on this front of being someone that I'm truly not deep down; guess I still need or want this hard exterior to protect the soft interior, lol. I'm non-confrontational as well, being a Libra you seek out to make things right or balanced or just, but I'm a verbal fighter, and I'd always speak out for others, never really myself for the sake of not wanting to hurt people's feelings or avoid confrontation. But as of lately, I've been finding and realizing that it's okay to speak up for yourself and I've been doing that, feeling very feisty, lmao! I'm beginning to let people know that they should NEVER take my kindness for my weakness, because push me far enough, and I will bite, lol.

Sorry for my novel and still on our other questions from posts before; I go to reply and next thing you know, there are 14 new replies! LMAO!!!
~Me

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »

Here is a question. I dont know why I was thinking this, but I was feeding the chickens this morning and i was like wouldnt it be funny  to put one of the guys  completely out of their element. Like plop one of them  some where, where you wouldnt think they would ever want to go. Like for example AJ...I couldnt see him be on a farm, but it would be quite amusing to see lol.

LOL!!! Funny you should mention that, because I figured, if I stick around long enough, and the fandom and muse doesn't wane from me again so soon, I'd be interested in writing a fic, basing it off their answers to the question "what would you be doing if you weren't a Backstreet Boy?" Not gonna lie, I totes envisioned AJ as a firefighter when he said that, and was laughing my ass off when Nick and Brian were impersonating how he'd be as a firefighter, lmao!!

I mean, I started an AU story of the guys being police officers that took in an orphaned Nick and has set to help him become a cop himself to help put away the guys who killed his family (inspired by the movie The Professional), but it's a challenge thinking of how I'd group a teacher, a fisher, a pilot, a firefighter, and whatever it was that Howie would be doing together, lol. It'd be interesting, but pulling it off would be the challenge.

~Me

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »

I have a story like that, where Nick ends up living with the Amish.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, but it turns out I don't really enjoy writing about the Amish LOL.  But maybe if it was something I was more familiar with myself, it would be more fun to write.  Like, I don't know if you actually live on a farm or just have chickens, but because you do have them, you would be great at writing something like that you described!

OMG, I remember reading that story! And as much as I had no freaking clue about the amish, besides the obvious, the story still intrigued me enough to read it! Lol. But yeah, feel ya'll on the research, lol. For me personally, I feel like no matter how much research I do on a certain thing, I still couldn't do it justice unless I know or experience it first hand... not saying I'm gonna go get into an accident, or kidnapped, or stabbed or shot or something, lmao. But... ya'll know what I mean, does that make sense? LOL.

another question popped into my head lol. Have you ever thought of a plot that you thought was going to be fantastic and then thought it just wasn't a good idea in the end?

LMAO!!! All. The. Time. That was my biggest problem, since I'm not an organized writer, I'd start off with an idea, have ideas flying out of my ass and figure I'm going somewhere with this, but then my minds fucks me over and decides to think of something else to twist the plot. Case in point, my Last Christmas story. The idea was it be almost like a Bonnie and Clyde-esque story, but when I was left with these questions like why, how, what else would happen, my mind thought to twist it into something else that would build it more, and when I read through it again, the flow was just not there cause I could see where my mind had changed, lmao.

Now it's like I have these ideas, but I think *insert author's name* would be better at writing and executing it.

LOL I think everyone is like that.  Or at least, I would assume so.

Do you write the kind of stories you prefer to read?

Is there a type of story you like to read, but don't write?

Have you ever written a story that you would probably never read?

Everyone knows my answer to my first question, lmao. I think there is that tendency for reasons people have stated; I'd want to write something that I'd enjoy reading, I'm so selfish, hahaha.

I think I've dabbled a bit into the kinds of stories I like to read, with the exception of maybe... sci-fi? I don't normally read sci-fi fics, but there were a few good ones I found that held my attention.

Not so much that I'd never read, but just read it over and thought "well... this was stupid!" lmao!!
~Me

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »

AJ said he'd be a firefighter? I made him a firefighter! Yay me!! lol

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »

Here's a question, how do you guys come up with your summaries? Is there a process? Like, do you normally take an excerpt from your story and have it be the summary or whatever? Summaries are quite tricky because it's like you want to be vague as to not give away your plot, but at the same time peak the interest of potential readers and grab their attention.
~Me

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »

AJ said he'd be a firefighter? I made him a firefighter! Yay me!! lol

Ooooh my, you didn't see that soundcheck vid?! LMAO!! It was sooo hilarious, I kept watching it over; I'll find it and post it in here. When AJ said that, Brian was kinda in shock like really dude, and AJ, being AJ was like "yeah, when I was younger, but when I realized how dangerous it was that went right out the door!" which totally validates how AJ is slightly prissy, lmao!! Nick had then asked the audience if they could imagine AJ as a firefighter, and both he and Brian were impersonating how he'd be saving someone, lmfao, it was freaking hilarious!!

And yes, yayyy you!! Totally remember and loved that story; you wrote a hot AJ in that one, lmao!! Seriously one of my fave fics to read over and over! ^_^
~Me
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36