Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 12  (Read 115652 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 12
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »

No I never saw that video. There was quite a while where I didn't even bother watching concert footage or soundcheck vids because they just depressed me. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »

No I never saw that video. There was quite a while where I didn't even bother watching concert footage or soundcheck vids because they just depressed me. lol

Aww, why did it depress you? :(
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »

Here's a question, how do you guys come up with your summaries? Is there a process? Like, do you normally take an excerpt from your story and have it be the summary or whatever? Summaries are quite tricky because it's like you want to be vague as to not give away your plot, but at the same time peak the interest of potential readers and grab their attention.

I have missed a lot of questions LOL but I'll answer this one! I write out my summary like six times in that "notes" document I previously mentioned for every story. First I write out what the story is actually about and then I change it and change it and stylize it to add a bit of ambiguity or whatever until I'm satisfied with it.

Though lately when I post, I post my vague summary and then underneath I do a "AKA the one where Nick falls into a lake and Brian has to save him." so it's clear what the story is actually about.

As for the beta reader question earlier, I send all of my chapters to my friend who reads them over. She doesn't traditionally beta them though, she tells me what she likes and maybe a comment about what I should add but doesn't fix typos or anything. I recently had something of mine fully beta read and it was AWESOME. She went through every sentence (which was a feat because it was 25,000 words) and fixed things, added things, gave little suggestion notes on what she thought I could expand on. The story is so much stronger for it and I find myself remembering her suggestions and incorporating them into the stuff I'm writing now. I wish I could send her everything I write LOL.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »

I think that my answer is the same for when it comes to taking things out: as long as it doesn't change the plot then I don't see any harm in doing it. If taking something out actually improves the story then it was a good call in my mind.

FYI, the idea of Ricky Martin song lyrics showing up in the middle of a story made me laugh. If it had been any other artist other than Ricky Martin I probably wouldn't have even chuckled, but I honestly cannot even look at that man without cracking up! (Although, I have no idea why I find the idea of him so hilarious.)

I know, right?  That's why I used him as an example.  I still love me some Livin' La Vida Loca, but as far as putting his lyrics in a story, why???
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »

Here's the soundcheck video of what they'd be if they weren't Backstreet Boys, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfUzFnn054
~Me

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »

Ooooh my, you didn't see that soundcheck vid?! LMAO!! It was sooo hilarious, I kept watching it over; I'll find it and post it in here. When AJ said that, Brian was kinda in shock like really dude, and AJ, being AJ was like "yeah, when I was younger, but when I realized how dangerous it was that went right out the door!" which totally validates how AJ is slightly prissy, lmao!! Nick had then asked the audience if they could imagine AJ as a firefighter, and both he and Brian were impersonating how he'd be saving someone, lmfao, it was freaking hilarious!!

And yes, yayyy you!! Totally remember and loved that story; you wrote a hot AJ in that one, lmao!! Seriously one of my fave fics to read over and over! ^_^

I haven't seen that one either!  That is so random; I wouldn't have expected AJ to say a firefighter.  Not sure what I would have expected him to say, though.  Kevin wanting to be a pilot and Brian wanting to be a teacher are expected, and I've heard them give those answers to that question before.  When I write AUs where they have different jobs, I usually make Brian either a teacher or a minister (LOL), and Kevin is usually some kind of pilot.  Howie usually ends up being a businessman, so I'm curious to know what he actually said he would do.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »

Thanks for sharing that link!

LOL at Nick:  "Maybe a captain of a ship... ya know, uh, going and fishing for... fish... in Florida..."  And he doesn't get why the girls started laughing at him.

OMG, you were right, the impressions of AJ being a firefighter are hilarious!

That's so funny; Brian has had the same basic answer to that question since at least 1999.  I remember on that Millennium special they did on MTV, he said he would have been a gym teacher LOL.  I guess he really meant it.  He would make a great music teacher too. <3

That's so funny when Kevin was like, "You sound just like your dad."

OMG, Howie wanted to be a doctor?!  I never would have guessed that!  Wow, I may be writing some more Howie stories after this one's over!  Dr. Dorough... it has a nice ring!

And Kevin being a carpenter if he wasn't a pilot... that is hot, too.  I can just picture him on a hot day, no shirt, pounding some nails with his big ol' hammer... hehehe.

~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »

Maybe someday I'll write that Brian/Howie story that everyone thinks would be such a snoozefest, and I'll make it an AU, and Brian will be a teacher, and Howie be a doctor, and I will be the female love interest who has to choose between the cute teacher and the rich doctor, and no one else will want to read it, but I will sure enjoy writing it! LMAO

I'm kidding... maybe.
~Julie

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »

I haven't seen that one either!  That is so random; I wouldn't have expected AJ to say a firefighter.  Not sure what I would have expected him to say, though.  Kevin wanting to be a pilot and Brian wanting to be a teacher are expected, and I've heard them give those answers to that question before.  When I write AUs where they have different jobs, I usually make Brian either a teacher or a minister (LOL), and Kevin is usually some kind of pilot.  Howie usually ends up being a businessman, so I'm curious to know what he actually said he would do.

LOL, yeah. I mean, like you said, they've answered those questions before, but I've heard AJ say a pro golfer or something; but his answer also sound like eh, can't think of anything, so I'll just say that. But it was funny to even see Brian shocked with his answer of wanting to be a firefighter... goes to show you there's perhaps still some small things that they don't exactly know about each other. At first I thought maybe AJ was just making that up, but his answer seemed about right... with having an interest in something before, and losing it when he realized how dangerous it was or whatever. Like I said, he's an adorable priss! LOL.

Thanks for sharing that link!

LOL at Nick:  "Maybe a captain of a ship... ya know, uh, going and fishing for... fish... in Florida..."  And he doesn't get why the girls started laughing at him.

OMG, you were right, the impressions of AJ being a firefighter are hilarious!

That's so funny; Brian has had the same basic answer to that question since at least 1999.  I remember on that Millennium special they did on MTV, he said he would have been a gym teacher LOL.  I guess he really meant it.  He would make a great music teacher too. <3

That's so funny when Kevin was like, "You sound just like your dad."

OMG, Howie wanted to be a doctor?!  I never would have guessed that!  Wow, I may be writing some more Howie stories after this one's over!  Dr. Dorough... it has a nice ring!

And Kevin being a carpenter if he wasn't a pilot... that is hot, too.  I can just picture him on a hot day, no shirt, pounding some nails with his big ol' hammer... hehehe.

Yeah, loved the way Nick was like "why ya'll laughing? You guys don't believe me?!" LOL. He's just too adorbs!! And that's right, Howie said he'd be a doctor; even their impressions of Dr. Dorough was hilarious, lmao! It all seems so fitting; now I'm totally determined to write a fic of them on those career paths.

And not gonna lie, your last statement made me laugh, but gave me a nice visual. LOL!!! Carpenter Kev is a very nice visual... like, lumberjack-esque looking, buttoned-down plaid shirt, wielding an axe kind of carpenter. LMFAO!!!
~Me

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »

LOL, yeah. I mean, like you said, they've answered those questions before, but I've heard AJ say a pro golfer or something; but his answer also sound like eh, can't think of anything, so I'll just say that. But it was funny to even see Brian shocked with his answer of wanting to be a firefighter... goes to show you there's perhaps still some small things that they don't exactly know about each other. At first I thought maybe AJ was just making that up, but his answer seemed about right... with having an interest in something before, and losing it when he realized how dangerous it was or whatever. Like I said, he's an adorable priss! LOL.

The firefighter thing is such a little boy thing to say!  I mean, some little boys obviously do grow up to be firefighters, and thank god for them, but it seems like all boys want to be firemen or cops or soldiers at some point, and most of them grow out of it when they realize, like AJ, how dangerous it is.  I wouldn't even want to be married to a fireman, cop, or soldier because of how dangerous it is, let alone be one myself!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »

Aww, why did it depress you? :(

Because I couldn't afford to do the tour at all and I had my heart set on it and the first leg they were pretty close by but I couldn't go. I was heart broken. The second leg they came pretty close too but I still couldn't swing that and a vacation so I chose Buffalo instead. Maybe I'll be able to go next time.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »

Not to sound like the stereotypical summary person but I really suck at summaries! It's the MOST difficult part of the writing process for me and sometimes the only thing that prevents me from being able to actually post the first chapter of something. To try to figure out exactly what to say without being too vague or giving too much away is hard as hell.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »

Maybe someday I'll write that Brian/Howie story that everyone thinks would be such a snoozefest, and I'll make it an AU, and Brian will be a teacher, and Howie be a doctor, and I will be the female love interest who has to choose between the cute teacher and the rich doctor, and no one else will want to read it, but I will sure enjoy writing it! LMAO

I'm kidding... maybe.

LOL!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »

Aww that video was cute! I love Nick at the end "I want to be a garden gnome." lol

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »

The firefighter thing is such a little boy thing to say!  I mean, some little boys obviously do grow up to be firefighters, and thank god for them, but it seems like all boys want to be firemen or cops or soldiers at some point, and most of them grow out of it when they realize, like AJ, how dangerous it is.  I wouldn't even want to be married to a fireman, cop, or soldier because of how dangerous it is, let alone be one myself!

It truly is! I remember when I was a kid, there were two things I was set on being... one, a doctor, and two, believe it or not, a rock and roll drummer, LMAO!! I don't know where the hell the drummer aspiration came from, but I used to belt out songs with my siblings and we'd pretend we were in a band playing instruments, lol. I'll never forget the day that I had belted out "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" to my mom, dropping dramatically to my knees, lmao! Talk about a Nick moment, hahaha.

I have aspirations to become a cop actually; I don't know what it is, the thrill of danger, but actually helping people and saving lives is what calls me to it I think. And as for marrying one, well... lets just say, I have a weakness for a man in uniform, lol.

Speaking of which, I had found another soundcheck video where the same question was asked, and when AJ was getting ready to answer, Nick was all like "Don't say firefighter dude... don't say that!" and both he and Kevin were laughing about the time he had said that he wanted to be a firefighter. Then, I'm not sure if I had heard it correctly, AJ was like "Nah dude, I didn't want to be a firefighter, I don't know what I was thinking!"

*rolls eyes* That special, special man, lmao!! But, he'd be an interesting, yet hot firefighter, hahaha.

Because I couldn't afford to do the tour at all and I had my heart set on it and the first leg they were pretty close by but I couldn't go. I was heart broken. The second leg they came pretty close too but I still couldn't swing that and a vacation so I chose Buffalo instead. Maybe I'll be able to go next time.

Will it make you feel any better if I told you that I just watch and go based off the videos as well? LOL! I'm with you, on the same boat... kinda... well, not really, maybe in two separate boats, side by side, paddling down the same river? ^_^ I'm rooting for you to go next time though Mare! ;D

Not to sound like the stereotypical summary person but I really suck at summaries! It's the MOST difficult part of the writing process for me and sometimes the only thing that prevents me from being able to actually post the first chapter of something. To try to figure out exactly what to say without being too vague or giving too much away is hard as hell.

Most definitely! Summaries can sometimes make a break a story; if your summary doesn't catch the interest of a reader, they more than likely won't even think about opening it. I'll be a few chapters in, or perhaps a chapter into my story, then I'll think of the summary. Rarely do I think of the summary first, then go from there, hahaha.

Aww that video was cute! I love Nick at the end "I want to be a garden gnome." lol

Yeah, that was too funny and cute! A great throwback to that one interview they did with that guy that did... what was it called? Questions In A Cup? Taking a survey of "Which Backstreet Boy..." LMAO!!!
~Me
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36