Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: FS for August and #91 is - On Nightingale Hill by Filiklepto  (Read 20936 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Well here we are, counting down or up I guess to 100 stories featured. I can't even believe it.

What a great way to get the ball rolling!

We start with your pick for our 10th all time favorite author at AC. Miss Filiklepto aka Hachi aka Chrissy aka the one who never finishes stories!! LOL

I have talked about "On the Rails" a lot! Because it's so out of the realm of something I would ever read. To be able to get someone like me to read something like that takes incredible writing ability and this girl has it in spades!!

I admit I have never read "On Nightingale Hill" but I am going to read a chapter a day while it's being featured because once again, judging by the summary, I would ordinarily not read something like this,but because I know how outstanding she is as a writer, I am willing to try.

So, if anyone wants to read along with me and comment in this thread, be my guest! This is where I'll be talking about the story, not in reviews on the site, but in here in the actual thread.

Here is a link to her story:

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8279

Happy reading and congrats Chrissy!! Enjoy your month!!  

:bsb:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:48:20 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for August and #91 is - On Nightingale Hill by Filiklepto
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 09:54:10 PM »

A conversation about all things fanfic with Chrissy!

First of all congrats on being #10 on our all-time favorite author’s list on AC!
Thank you! Wow, it's a huge and unexpected honor to be here. I'm really happy that you guys haven't forgotten about me even though I've been on a fanfiction hiatus for so long.

I sometimes feel like GRRM (the author of "Game of Thrones" / "A Song of Ice and Fire"), making everybody wait years and years for an update. I'll do my best not to make you wait too much longer for a new chapter of something. I'll at least beat GRRM to the next release (I think). Anyway, on to the questions...!

When did you first begin writing fanfiction?
I can't pinpoint exactly when it all started, but I know that by the time I entered high school in 2000 (oh god, was it really 14 years ago?!) I was making some—what I now consider—embarrassing attempts at Buffy the Vampire Slayer and BSB fanfiction. Like seriously, things that would make you groan and say, "Is this how you think people really interact with each other?" Haha... looking back, it's quite awful.

Explain your pen name, and is that the same one you have used for all of your writing?
One of my best friends gave it to me, actually! As a joke, I had lifted something off a friend without him noticing and sat there smiling innocently, waiting for him to realize that I had it while he pointed fingers at everyone but me. When they finally realized it was me, my best friend said, "Look at that little Filipino! She's a kleptomaniac! She's a... She's a FiliKlepto! ...Either that or we could call you the KleptoPino." As I did not much favor the idea of sounding like a pepper, I held out for the former name.

It's still my penname on AC, but in most places now I go by some form of my current nickname Hachi.

Where do you get your inspiration for your stories?
I used to daydream a lot, especially before the advent of smartphones and being able to constantly distract oneself with Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit. So a lot of my fics are based on the stories I would distract myself with when I was bored.

"On The Rails", though, was inspired by real historical events in American history. It's possibly my oldest story that I'm still working on because I started it back in 2003.

Do you ever model your characters after yourself?
I used to, especially when I was younger because it was a helpful way for me to process the things I was going through at the time. Most of those fics never made it as far as getting posted online for public consumption. However, Carla from "On The Rails" does have a complicated relationship with her family, which was something I could really relate to back when I started writing it.

Which story is the most personal to you?
Hmmm, maybe the ficlet I did for Nick's birthday challenge back in 2011: "In Which the Heroine Vows Never to Throw Anyone a Surprise Party Ever Again…" Even though she is not actually modeled after me, in the end, the main character's spazziness and tendency to overthink things ended up feeling very personal.

I know there are authors who write fics that are quite personal to them, inspired by the death of a loved one or a deeply emotional experience, but I don't know if I'm ready to share that much of me with the world yet. Maybe one day.

Which story is your favorite?
Oh gosh, do I have to pick? Can I pass on this question?!

To be honest, I actually really like all of my stories, but maybe "In Which the Heroine..." is my favorite of the batch if only because I got to tick off the "Completed" box for once.  :)

Do you ever plan on finishing either On Nightingale Hill or On the Rails?
Yes and yes! I know my track record for updating hasn't been too good for... a few years. (Feel free to pelt me with tomatoes or what-have-you. I completely deserve it.) However, I already know how both stories are going to end, as well as most of the road map to getting there.

Like I mentioned before, my goal is to not be GRRM and to finally finish these stories. Let's just hope I can have these done before he releases his next book!

Are you still writing fanfic or any fic at all?
Since I became a professional writer/editor, I actually find myself working less on stuff that's for me and not for work. Maybe because work taps all the inspiration from me. :/

Anyway, in a fit of procrastinatio n I did churn out some smut last winter. I actually wrote it completely on my iPhone in a coffee shop when I was supposed to be studying for a certification exam for work, haha. Later I had the sense to take it down from my main fanfiction account because I think it's wiser not to have it associated with my name, but it is up on AC under a pseudonym. If anyone wants to read it, feel free to PM me for the link. Wink

Who are some of your favorite authors and do you draw inspiration from them?
Oh gosh, that's a tough one. I've just devoured books since I was very young, so it's hard to name anyone specific. I've always had a thing for classic British literature, though. I'm a Jane Austin junkie and have read P&P and Emma both about a dozen times. But you know what, the more I think about it, when it comes to fantasy genre I've always been a fan of Robin McKinley, and I guess you could say her style of prose and treatment of lore both have rubbed off on me. I can definitely see its influence on "On Nightingale Hill".

What are some of your favorite novels?
Too many to name! But if you really want to hear it:

The "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman
"Pride and Prejudice", "Emma", and "Sense and Sensibility" (in that order) by Jane Austen
"The Blue Sword" and "The Hero and the Crown" by Robin McKinley
Anything by Thomas Hardy (not any specific novel; I just like his style)

What was the name of the very first fanfic you wrote?
It was a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fic that I don't even remember the name of! And it was very bad!

What about the first one you read?
This is going to sound awful, but I was in 7th or 8th grade, and it was some smutty Nick fanfic that I stumbled across before I even really knew what fanfiction was. Some nonsense about Nick having a guardian angel who was in love with him and then who became human to be with him. It was absolute garbage, but my friends and I printed out the chapters and would take turns reading it in class.

Tell us a little bit about your writing process. Do you outline your stories? Do you typically know how they are going to end before you post them? Have you ever reconsidered a plot point and changed it before posting it or while posting it?
As mentioned above, I usually come across an idea while daydreaming. The first scene is always the most vivid in my mind, but I try to see as far as possible to the end of the story in order to decide if I actually want to develop it. After getting the first chapter down onto the page, I then sketch out a rough outline for the story.

I have definitely had to reconsider a plot point in the middle of a story. This actually happened with "On Nightingale Hill" where I managed to write myself into a corner that I couldn't get out of. It took me the longest time (and a 3 chapter detour) to write myself back out of it.

Recommend one story for us to read that maybe has helped to inspire you.
If you mean fanfic, then "Curtain Call" by Julie (RokofAges75) is a great example of the kind of fic I aspire to write one day—something that captures the true spirit and voice of the boys and makes you feel like you're really in their world. I couldn't put it down, and I cried a ton at the end.

If you mean novel, then "The Hero and the Crown", which I mentioned above, for anyone who hasn't read it yet because it is awesome and inspirational.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me!

Thank you for interviewing me!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:12:55 PM »

Congratulation s, Chrissy!!!  People definitely have not forgotten you around here, even if you only update once in a blue moon LOL.  I'm so looking forward to reading the rest of On Nightingale Hill someday when it's finished!  I can probably count on one hand the number of fantasy fanfics I've read by choice, but ONH sucked me right in and is by far the best!

I'm surprised and flattered by the Curtain Call mention - thank you so much!!  You are a fantastic writer, and I aspire to be as creative as you, so it definitely goes both ways! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:50:20 AM »

Thank you so much, you guys!

It really makes me happy when people say that they enjoy my stories even though they wouldn't normally read those genres. No promises, but I'm hoping to crank an update out soon!
my muse is such a lush

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:17:29 AM »

Congrats, Chrissy! I have never read any of your stories but will try to read along as this month.

By the way, Are you Filipino?  :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »

Well I read your first chapter! And once again, if this wasn't you, I would have stopped with the mere mention of the Carters! LOL

I love how intriguing your start is. Lena and Gunther seem mysterious and of course the whole idea of Lena being in a coma and Nick going to some other world and a castle. Curious to see where this goes!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 08:22:08 AM »

In the process of reading chapter two and just got to the talking/biting gnome! LMAO and a little terrifying!

I love Nick's reaction to seeing himself in the mirror for the first time and thinking it was someone else. That was very clever!

LMAO at Nick just breaking everything in all these houses.

Wow, I got hungry after reading this second chapter!

Once again I loved all your descriptions. You have such a way with words!!

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 04:54:31 AM »

Well I read your first chapter! And once again, if this wasn't you, I would have stopped with the mere mention of the Carters! LOL

Haha!  :D

Thanks for suffering through them for my sake. Hope you're enjoying it so far!
my muse is such a lush

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:28:12 AM »

I am about to start chapter three shortly.

Believe me, if it feels like suffering, I'll stop! LMAO

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »

Starting chapter three!

I like posting as I read, so I'm just going to leave this open as I go!

I love the visual image of Nick roaming down the street and shouting random quotes, phrases and song lyrics like some kind of crazy person! Also feeling bad for him and his lack of food and drink. What's that all about?

Oh, okay so they are in a castle and Nick is trapped in this Otherworld place. So it's not heaven or purgatory like I thought it might be. This Gunther guy seems like a real joy to be around! I'm assuming there will be some flashbacks so we can see how Lene and Nick know each other? I know...I have no patience.

Okay Nick with a baby = priceless! Even though I have a feeling that baby is going to have a rapid growth spurt and turn into Lene, it's fun to see him with a tiny one and on another note, I'd very much like my own refrigerator stocking baby! Can we buy them on Amazon or something? LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 05:55:08 AM »

LOL I am enjoying having my memory of this story refreshed just from reading Mare's reviews in here.  It's been a long time since I've read it, but it will be fun to reread it someday... when it's done!  *hint hint Chrissy* :)
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »

Yay! That's why I'm leaving them in here instead of on the story! I'm hoping anyone reading this will do the same, although you can also leave reviews on the actual site as well! LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 05:31:28 AM »

Yay! It's chapter four time!! Here we go...

Poor Nick I think is going to need therapy after that gnome bit him lol

Loved this line! (Besides, she was the bringer of yummy food, the filler of empty fridges, and one couldn't just take a girl like that for granted.) lmao too cute!

OMG this chapter is just too cute so far. Loving him explaining to the baby how they need diapers because she's starting to smell like a baby does!

"None of my theories about this place are right. What the heck was I thinking? You're not a super-baby; you're just a regular baby after all…"

The little girl looked at Nick and cocked her head to the side. "Gah?" she asked.

"Yeah, gah," Nick repeated. "That's how I feel right now." - LMAO aww

Really adorable chapter. Hopefully the dirty diapers aren't going to help Gunther find them! Follow the stench! lol

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 10:39:36 AM »

LOL I am enjoying having my memory of this story refreshed just from reading Mare's reviews in here.  It's been a long time since I've read it, but it will be fun to reread it someday... when it's done!  *hint hint Chrissy* :)

How about when I post the next chapter?  ;D

I'm re-reading it with Mare right now to get back into the story (and I may have written about 2,000 words of the next chapter)...
my muse is such a lush

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »

How about when I post the next chapter?  ;D

I'm re-reading it with Mare right now to get back into the story (and I may have written about 2,000 words of the next chapter)...

Yay!!  That's awesome!

How close are you to finishing the story?
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3 4