Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: FS for August and #91 is - On Nightingale Hill by Filiklepto  (Read 20789 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for August and #91 is - On Nightingale Hill by Filiklepto
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »

Starting a little late because of lessons. LOL

YAY that you're writing again! Hopefully you're also working on "On the Rails!"

Okay onto chapter 5!

I was going to eventually ask if he was a Backstreet Boy in this one or not. I figured we'd find out eventually but I'm glad to know it sooner rather than later. And I KNEW I was right about the growth spurt. Go me!!

LMAO I love how non-chalant Nick was about this little girl waking him up because she has to pee. Like now where the hell did she come from? Ah well...let's just go with it! At least she's not a biting gnome!

Aww I enjoyed how Lene went around magically making things appear and explaining she had a mother, father and a dog. I'm glad she told him her name. I can't believe he didn't ask her that! Duh! Nick!!

And now they're heading to the castle. Looking forward to the next growth spurt although Nick with a kid is too adorable!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 05:38:05 AM »

okay here we go with chapter 6!

Boy Gunther is not a really nice guy is he? And now I'm further intrigued by the thought of a Lene split in half and I love the idea of the tapestry. You've done an excellent job not only creating this strange new place, but also describing it in a way that is very easy to visualize. posting  this because the computer is being a butt again!

Okay, well I'm on my Nook now since the computer crapped out again.

Nick's part of this chapter was creepy! The guy totally cracks me up because he freaks out about the gnome but kids turning into skeletons & more reaching for him & he seems fine lol on a side note, nothing is as creepy as ring around the rosie sung by small kids! * shudders*
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:50:08 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »

Yay!!  That's awesome!

How close are you to finishing the story?

Hmm... we're probably around 3/4 of the way through now, so maybe about 6~8 more chapters?

Since this is the FSoM thread, I guess I can give you guys some "behind the scenes" info here. I've been digging through old drafts of the story and it looks like I have a few more chapters worth of material saved away that's already been written. The only problem is, I don't recall Nick being such a creeper! Even re-reading chapter 18 made me face-palm quite a bit.

I think part of the problem is, when I first wrote ONH during National Novel Writing Month, one of the inside jokes I had while writing it was to make Nick as inappropriate as possible.  ::)  But now I'm not sure how much I want to post it haha.

I'll see how much of it I can salvage, though!
my muse is such a lush

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »

okay here we go with chapter 6!

Boy Gunther is not a really nice guy is he? And now I'm further intrigued by the thought of a Lene split in half and I love the idea of the tapestry. You've done an excellent job not only creating this strange new place, but also describing it in a way that is very easy to visualize. posting  this because the computer is being a butt again!

Okay, well I'm on my Nook now since the computer crapped out again.

Nick's part of this chapter was creepy! The guy totally cracks me up because he freaks out about the gnome but kids turning into skeletons & more reaching for him & he seems fine lol on a side note, nothing is as creepy as ring around the rosie sung by small kids! * shudders*

I think the gnome thing really freaked him out because it was the first sign that things were very, very different from normal. But by the time he gets to the skeletons, so many weird things have happened that it's freaky but not unusual...?

Ring Around The Rose is really creepy, though, right? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

I'm still working on the next chapter, but I'm pretty confident that I should have chapter 19 posted before you finish 18. (I think!)
my muse is such a lush

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »

Starting a little late because of lessons. LOL

YAY that you're writing again! Hopefully you're also working on "On the Rails!"

Oh, I forgot to reply to this one!

OTR is definitely next on the list, but I think I'm going to try to use this momentum to finish ONH first before picking up Nick and Carla's story again. (It's been on my mind a lot lately, though!)
my muse is such a lush

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »

I think the gnome thing really freaked him out because it was the first sign that things were very, very different from normal. But by the time he gets to the skeletons, so many weird things have happened that it's freaky but not unusual...?

Ring Around The Rose is really creepy, though, right? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

I'm still working on the next chapter, but I'm pretty confident that I should have chapter 19 posted before you finish 18. (I think!)

Yes, that song is way creepy to begin with but when little girls sing it, it takes on a whole new level of creepiness!

Glad to hear you'll be picking up OTR after this one. I hope you do have another chapter out before I get to the last one you have posted. I'm bummed this one isn't done lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »

Hmm... we're probably around 3/4 of the way through now, so maybe about 6~8 more chapters?

Since this is the FSoM thread, I guess I can give you guys some "behind the scenes" info here. I've been digging through old drafts of the story and it looks like I have a few more chapters worth of material saved away that's already been written. The only problem is, I don't recall Nick being such a creeper! Even re-reading chapter 18 made me face-palm quite a bit.

I think part of the problem is, when I first wrote ONH during National Novel Writing Month, one of the inside jokes I had while writing it was to make Nick as inappropriate as possible.  ::)  But now I'm not sure how much I want to post it haha.

I'll see how much of it I can salvage, though!

Oh, that would be excellent to get a behind the scenes!

What was your favorite part about writing this story? Do you have a favorite character?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 07:51:36 AM »

Chapter 7 time & boy it was pretty action packed. So Gunther was also the gnome ? Very cool and once again intriguing. You did a great job with thefight scene in the cottage. I love that Nick went right into the flames to get a log to use as a weapon. Thank you for not making Nick the stereotypical dumb kid. We also learn that english is not Lene's first language but what on earth is? If she is even from earth to begin with lol

And way to end it on a mean cliffy! I'm glad I'm reading this late because I can only imagine how long your poor readers had to wait for the next chapter!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »

Chapter 8 time!

What, a talking dog? Lol sorry, that's like the punchline to the stupidest joke I know. I love the pack of dogs and the explanation that followed. Also the fact that one of those dogs happens to be Lene's Bruno. I loved Nick's wtf reaction when the pack leader said his name was Arthur lol

Okay onto the second half...

Boy this Gunther guy is pure evil. Now I'm getting the whole satelite concept. Two places at once and how splitting like that can take a toll on you. Also good to know that the injuries you suffer affect you in real life as well.

Part three...

Stubbourn Nick refusing to be carried but I'm glad he gave in. Also loved the visusl of both Nick & Lene being carriedby this pack of dogs so close together they probably looked like a magic carpet.

This is so entertaining so far. Can't wait to see your other characters from the other parts of this world.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »

Chapter 9 :)

I have to say, I'm going to miss these talking dogs when they part ways. So now I understand why all the houses are empty. I also loved Nick's "well stranger things have happened" thought when waking up on a bed of dogs lol

Oh my God, the fact that there happens to be a mention of killing and skinning rabbits in this chapter is just too much of a coincidence for me! lmao Where is Howie when you need him?

Aww farewell my doggie friends. You shall be missed.

I feel like another growth spurt should be happening soon. Nick with a tween perhaps? lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 06:12:38 AM »

On to chapter 10!

Wow so now the interesting creatures look like large paper dolls? You are so creative. Where on earth do you come up with these ideas? It makes sense that they would be afraid of fire, especially if they are like I am picturing them to be!

Once again I have to say I love how you portray Nick in the story. He's smart, protective and very caring and fatherly to Lene. So different then the kid always in need. I do admit, the bromance reader in me is wanting the guys to suddenly show up lol

And yay, glad to see they are close to the town although I have a feeling things aren't going to be that easy when it comes to actually getting out of the woods and across the water. I see cookie cutter/paper doll hampering in their future lol
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:14:27 AM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:22 AM »

Thoughts on chapter 11:

I'm glad we got a little more history about Gunther in this chapter. I would still love to know how and if Nick ever met Lene in his world or if she was just an observer that happened to fall for him. I'm sure some flashbacks to that will be coming but now I'm curios to see what kind of powers Nick really has and if that means he's not actually a Carter which would be great news for him! lol

Lol at all the "balls" talk. Great action sequence in the water too!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 06:46:19 AM »

Chapter 12:

I loved Nick's lesson how to properly blend your cereals to create the perfect flavor. I live having cereal for dinner every once in awhile and the thought of not mixing and matching is ridiculous to me!

Lene's memory of her patents being killed was heartbreaking. I can't wait to find out why she is aging in the strange way she is.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »

Chapter 13:

Yay! Nick is no longer a muggle! I was really looking forward to the point in the story where we would see him learn what his powers are. I have a feeling that just scratched the surface of what he can do.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 05:33:40 AM »

Chapter 14:

I don't know what I'm enjoying more, reading the story or reading your author's notes at the beginning of every chapter. I'm so glad I'm reading this late because you would have driven me bonkers with all the delays lol

It was nice reading a chapter from the grown up Lene's perspective. But I'm confused again as to whether he is a Backstreet Boy or not? You mention his family a lot and Nick mentions singing with four other guys but in this chapter, it seemed as though he's not. Now I know how they met at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4